JD Jetting Power Surge 6X FI Tuner

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by ioneater, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Any updates for how your bike is running? I drowned mine out a little over a week ago after only going 1.7 miles and got to ride it again this past Sunday. It's running like a champ! No more bogging, stuttering or hesitation since tweaking the JD and sealing the coil. Gave it a good water test too[IMG]
  2. fairfaxbiker Husqvarna
    A Class

Do you think that this device will work on a 2008 TE450? I have had the 450 since 2008 and do have the power up kit but it still stalls occasionally if I hit the throttle too hard in tight singletrack. I have the Rekluse Z-Start Pro installed. As a comment, I just can't believe the time and amount of energy and money spent to get the fueling right on a fuel injected bike. I do love that the bike starts perfectly every time in any weather or elevation.
  3. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    As far as the tuner goes, I think it has vastly improved the performance of the bike. It no longer cuts off randomly...whoo hoo! It does still want to die between closed and 1/8 throttle...just need to do some more tweaking in that range.

I don't see how it couldn't help the 450 if its EFI. Yours sounds like it is doing what mine was doing, except mine would do it all the time with no rhyme or reason. We got the tuner and set it to the recommended settings and the problems went away. Well the stalling problem went away.

On the cost note, it seems expensive, but when you consider that you can achieve much of the same performance tweaks as you do on a carbed bike after adding jet kits, power nows, fuel screws, etc., etc., I think it all evens out. We spent a lot more sweat and tears getting my husband's carbed TXC 450 right.
  4. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    I'd give JD a call and talk to him. He'll call you back if he's not there, I like that! I wouldn't be surprised if the 08 250/310 tuner listed is compatible with a te 450. http://www.jdjetting.com/ The flameout you're getting with a rekluse is fairly common on 08's if I recall, my 510 and my buddy's 450 both did it. We've both moved on to new bikes since then.
  5. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anybody happen to have the JD instructions handy that they could snap a photo of or scan? Mine seem to have disappeared.
  6. Mr Sleazy Husqvarna
    A Class

I just ordered one for my 510 after speaking with J Dean, he said it should work fine but the "base" map that comes with the unit won't be the right one. He was going to build a 510 map and I can adjust from there. Excited, because I don't want to shell out for iBeat and don't like paying the dealer to tweak the FI.

BP
  7. apothcariesweight Husqvarna
    AA Class

jd jet pg1.jpg jd jet pg3.jpg jd jet pg4.jpg jd jet pg2.jpg Here ya go. First time attaching anything, if it didnt come through right let me know.
    MotoXImage, Magus and Phoenix like this.
  8. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    You rock!! Thank you!!
    bmah likes this.
  9. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Man, I lost my instructions to water damage. They were in my backpack when I took a drink last month in a puddle. Thanks apothcariesweight. Damn, that's a long name.

Phoenix, I hope you get that bike set up nice and tight now after all you've been through trying to get there. It really is a sweet ride once the quirks are ringed out. I admire your patience!
  10. apothcariesweight Husqvarna
    AA Class

No problem to ya both, glad I could help!
  11. Mr Sleazy Husqvarna
    A Class

Just installed the 6x on my 2010 510. Easy install, works as advertised. Haven't had too much chance to tinker with it yet, but seems easy to use and very intuitive. I mounted it up front behind the headlight shroud, that way I can adjust it without seat removal and I think that location gives the best protection from moisture. The instructions state its for the TE450/510/630 SM so owners of those models could use it too. Only the TE250/310 one and one for a TXC are shown on the JD website, however, so call them and talk.

I will experiment adjusting it between "power" settings and fuel efficient settings. I have a feeling the accelerator pump setting (red/blue) will have a strong effect on this, in helping to moderate throttle response. What I want is a fuel efficient map for long distance touring, but without running hot or bogging / stalling.

No more dealer FI trips for me!
  12. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just installed the 6x on my '09 TE310. No more popping on decel. No more slow RPM climb-out when lugging the motor. Now I can twist the throttle at low RMPs and instantly break it loose. The top end of the throttle feels like it goes to "11" now. On my first ride after installing the 6x I just kept thinking... "Wow! It didn't do that before."

I am extremely pleased with the purchase. Well worth the $200. Simple to install. Pre-set for my bike. It couldn't be any easier.
  13. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    Ditto, I installed mine on the weekend on my bike (2100 TE310) and exactly the same result, I would even say now it has 2-3 more HP !!! Best money I have ever spent.
  14. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    So the Power Surge 6X plugs into the stock ECU rather than bypassing it? And once the unit is unplugged, will the settings in the stock ECU return to where they were before the 6X was plugged in?

Also, if a bike has already been "powered-up" and the ECU has been tweaked to get it running "decent" (i.e., NOT the stock settings), I could simply plug the unit in and set everything to 4 to NOT change any values in the tweaked stock ECU, then tweak from there? In other words, if the stock ECU"s TPS numbers have been changed, that won't confuse the Power Surge 6X, will it? I don't want to take it to the shop and have them reset everything back to stock just to use this unit after all the work they did on it---and it really runs well---I would just like to tweak the low end for tight woods and change it back for more open races OR change the top end for the one sand race we have where there are several FWOT deep sand sections.

I'm a bit confused by the instruction sheet pics that were posted where it shows the recommended settings for the '11 310 but states that "you must reset on the controller for the TE310". I'm thinking that this must mean that the numbers that come on the unit I'd get would have to be set to the recommended numbers by the customer for the '11. Rught?
  15. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    The unit plugs in line between the ECU and the throttle body. The ECU's settings to include TPS remain unchanged. You should be able to keep your iBeat settings intact and then tune as desired with the Power Surge no problem. As you mentioned, I would go to neutral settings on the Power Surge in your case. I went 100's on the CO's and started with the JD presets and tweaked those over time. All surges, bogs and hickups are gone.
  16. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    I'm wondering now how well the Power Surge 6X works to fine tune the bike as compared to the PCV. I mean, with the PCV, one can go from 104, to 103, 102, 105, etc. but with the Power Surge, would going up 1/2 an increment be the same as 1% within the PCV or would it be more like 1/2%. In other words, would going from 5 to 5.5 on the Power Surge be like going from 102 to 102.5 or would it be more like going from 102 to 103 (these are just random numbers)

Ultimately just looking for how well the Power Surge "micro-manages" the ECU.
  17. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    I'd suggest calling JD himself for that kind of detailed info. Or, maybe someone's put one on a dyno with an O2 sensor and can shed some light. I'm sure the PCV is much more adjustable for fine tuning. Once again, the Power Surge does not touch the ECU. It's downstream and only influences what the ECU has already pushed to the throttle body. No ignition changes at all. Good luck.
  18. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    JD would probably be the best source, but you could also look for info on the FMF Power Programmer. They appear to be the same device.
  19. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks to Husqvarna USA, I now have a TXC 250 ECU plugged into my bike. I used ibeat to baseline the CO values and set the TPS. I tried the JD recommended settings and it seemed to run decent at first, but then started to want to cut out as the bike got warmer. Just for giggles, I baselined the JD tuner to see how the bike would run just off the 100/100/100...not very well. It would want to cut out 1/4 throttle and below and then again closer to WOT. All around the delivery seemed to feel "rough." Does anyone have any good links that explain how to know when a bike is rich or lean...what the symptoms are?
  20. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Anyone have a report on how it is working on the 510?