Is my front sprocket shaft excessively worn?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Philmeup, May 21, 2015.

1. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    G'day guys. I've stripped my 07 TE610 right down to splitting the crank case. I have a friend who is helping me out he is a very good mechanic but unfamiliar with husky's. We were having a look at the gears today and he noted the wear on the shaft where the front sprocket sits looked excessively worn.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I can't find a decent picture of a new one so have nothing to compare. I don't think such a component should be worn that much after 21000km, considering to replace would mean a full engine disassembly and the part would have to cost well over two or three hundred dollars. If anyone has a low km model with there sprocket off could you post a pic please. Thanks Phil.

Attached Files:

2. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  3. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Slip a sprocket on. Does it have any play/slop on the splines? If so replace it while you have it apart. Pics look like it's in poor shape, but I am viewing on a phone.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    That is too worn.
    I was wondering if a shaft could be welded and new splines machined in?
  5. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    Thanks EricV, definitely toasted I am very disappointed.
    image.jpg
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Do you know what brand CS sprocket you were running? I'm assuming it's what the previous owner installed. Just curious as we're all trying to make sense of this trend (that occurs to a more or lesser extent among us.)

It does suck to have to replace that also but I guess if you're in the process of a complete refreshing/go-through of the engine anyhow, owing to the blown head gasket, then good to get this behind you. Still, never fun to have to dole out more on parts than previously thought. Good on you for going through it- hope the rest goes smoothly.
  7. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    The previous sprocket was a talon. The advise I've been given and the response on the 'Disgusted' thread from Ironman sprockets is its not the sprockets that wear the spline but improper installation and maintainance.
    I guess that means make sure they're greased and tight. The combination of lateral movement and grit could have a lot to do with excessive wear, not sure if the sir clip holding sprocket on is a poor design method. On my Dr650 the sprocket has a lot of slop but has a locking plate to stop lateral movement and the spline looks new after 66000. Food for thought.
    Cheers phil
  8. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    Ps the cost of a new secondary shaft from a husky dealer in Melbourne is $170 Aust. Not too bad considering what some parts can cost. But the cost and headaches produced in having to do a full engine rebuild at 20000km is sickening. So don't get lazy with you sprocket install. Although my mate on a f800gs gets 30000km out of sprockets and chain and he never cleans them just a but of chain loob at the end of the day.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Yeah, it's a shame they went with the circlip for sure. Mine has very slight play and no readily visible wear when looking at the splines directly so I opted not to replace. Guess some of us will be replacing them because the case was being split anyway, and others splitting just for it. Some parts are indeed pricey- the only big ticket item with mine was the cases themselves...only sold as a set for over $1000. That was a hard lump but guess I could've been worse off.
  10. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Its hard to know what to do regarding preventing excessive wear . I picked up my 630 with just 1000k on it so i have forked out for a cush hub.
    Some say clean and grease often , some say grease attracts dirt and can cause excessive wear .. ?
  11. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    My countershaft looked like that (if not a hair worse) at 52k miles and got replaced, because for the first two years I owned the bike I didn't know to grease those splines. I've got a thread in here somewhere that shows all of my SM's internals when we had it apart.

Wipe the splines and grease them every time you lube the chain. Put your bike on a center stand and if your chain is adjusted properly you won't even have to drop it, the sprocket slips off and back on easily with the chain still on it. Only adds a couple of minutes to your chain lubing routine :)
    Philmeup likes this.
  12. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    IMO, this problem shows a downside of using a dirt bike as a street bike. Circlips don't slow down/prevent the impacts or reduce the forces the way a cs nut tightened to 75 ft/lbs does. My theory (and it's just a theory) is this: The shaft and sprocket become wear matched with use. This spreads the surface pressure out evenly on the contact surfaces at the expense of some wear. Every time you change/move the sprocket that process starts over. My solution..put a cs sprocket on and don't change it more than necessary. Also, index it so if removed it goes back on the same way. At 8000 miles my countershaft is still looking good, but if it starts to look bad (and I have no other reason to split the cases) I plan to put on a new sprocket and tack weld it to hopefully get 8-10K more miles.

13. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    7000 miles on my SM and just re-greased the splines today and they looked good.
    I think water general dirt get between the shaft and sprocket and grind away.
    Greasing the splines might help keep dirt out, it might make a barrier at each side of the sprocket, it just has to be done often. I usually use water pump grease because its so thick but have given Castrol Grippa 60s a go this time.
    Is this shaft wear happening on bikes like mine aswell, that never get taken offroad, so arent getting as dirty?
  14. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi

I also publish here because the title of the thread looks quite appropriate

Please, see the videos. So, should I forget about it? I've tried 3 different sprockets (13,14 and 15) and all have pretty the same play. And the splines looks no bad...

15. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    I add a pic:
    SANY4961.JPG
  16. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    You're good- splines look good. All you can really do is go with the brand of CS sprocket that offers The Least play, and keep things cleaned/greased. If you've got cash to throw at the issue (to avoid larger issues) then you're going to want to look into getting a cush hub.
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    you can also squeeze a little 1211 3 bond (for example) onto the shaft to kind of keep the rattle effect down, I always put some onto my circlip and around the end of the output shaft to kind of glue and dampen the drive effect. ( I also put it on my master link clip as well)
    also in the perfect world the CS sprocket should be the sacrificial item and at least be slightly less hardened that the output shaft......fact is Husky had issues on other "hardened steel components as well. Although theres no trend or proof of this. I had to say it
    R_Little likes this.
  18. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    OK, thanks for the advice.:)

EricV, may you show me a thread related to cush hub for our Huskys?. Is a cush hub for the TE630 available for purchasing worldwide?
  19. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
  20. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Here's a good thread, among others (you can find other threads using Searc above):

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/cush-hub-te630.39302/

Now I've not done this...would like to but can't really reconcile the cost of it (for me, personally...not at all suggesting it's not well worth it.)