Disgusted!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Kenneth Webb, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Time for new sprockets and chain so I pulled the old one off today. The countershaft sprocket now has appreciable slop and I am disgusted with myself for not taking the time to put on fresh Moly 60 before now. All was good last year before I made a multi-thousand mile trip, and I've been using the bike quite a bit lately for trail riding Have to ride a few miles of pavement for that, and the long trip included probably a thousand miles of pavement as well. There is maybe 1/32" space visible between sprocket and output shaft splines.

I am going to go ahead with Woody's cush hub now and hope that it will let my shaft live quite a bit longer before having to change it out. Moral of the story is to take time to grease that shaft regularly. Not sure how long I will be able to go. My mileage is close to 9000 miles at this time.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Huh, I'm around 13K on the original CS sprocket, only ever greased it when I replace the chain. Had the Kush sprocket for about 1500 miles.

Must be the sand and grit out there.
  3. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    By chance are you using an Ironman countershaft sprocket? I've heard reports that due to the metal being so hard they can wear the shaft splines faster. Not sure how true the reports are but it does make sense and for that reason I've played it safe and always used standard CS sprockets. Stock CS lasted 13.4K miles and shaft splines were fine at that time. I've never greased the shaft either, never thought about it until a post two weeks back. I plan to start now though.

_
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    The other school of thought is that if it is a dirty environment it is better off dry. The grease holds the grit and makes a paste similar to valve grinding compound.
    B16 RIK, Cosmokenney and Theo like this.
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ironman yes. Kush sprocket ordered along with parts to replace shaft at some point. Guess I am going to get real familiar with the 630 innards. Environment has not been particularly dirty. Maybe some shafts are a little softer than others. Dunno.
  6. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Checked mine.
    Never been greased have 16700km on it.
    Ride road a bit as i commute on it.
    First 7500km no kush sprocket and standard countershaft sprocket.
    No wear,no grease
    Next 7500km with Kush and esjot cs sprocket.
    Last 1700km with no Kush.
    Now there is only the slightest bit of shine/mark in one spot.
    I have now greased it and will be fitting another kush.
    I have been riding it fairly hard on road for the last 1000km to try and sort some fueling issues.
    I had a fair bit of surging on steady throttle which you could feel pulsing back through the bike.
    This couldn't of been good for the chain ,sprockets or cs.

Sacrilege but another cheap alternative could be klr hub
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17536407&postcount=3

[IMG]
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wicked will be sure to run an iridium spark plug, the 610/630 motors are known to surge without them.
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'm doing some winter maintenance and just pulled my CS sprocket. Mine is a 630 w/ approaching 7k miles on it. Ken- sorry to see what's happened to your countershaft, but thanks for the alert.

How much play is acceptable? I know Zero is ideal. Mine has an ever so slight amount of play- barely noticeable by sight but very clearly feel and hear a slight "tink-tink." Sure don't wanna destroy my CS. Anyway, the CS splines appear healthy- prob some very slight wear into them but not really discernible to the naked eye.

I'm running a 14T from drivesystemsusa.com- CJBrown was pleased with the sprocket/fit and had turned me on to them. Am I begging for issues by continuing to use it or should I shop for another brand of 14T? If so which brand is the tightest/closest tolerance fit?

Thanks!
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm using Drive Systems up front now too and they appear to be a good fit. No reason to change to another brand that I can see. With the Kush rear sprocket, new chain and countershaft sprocket things feel pretty good. I have the parts to replace the secondary shaft but I'm not going to do it now. I will just see how fast the wear progresses.
  10. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

Thanks man. My concern is that the very slight play will end up, over time, resulting in...well...what you're experiencing. :)

Now I know this may sound a bit nuts but it was on my mind when I read about your pickle. Since your CS is hosed now, and I'll imagine you've a lot of play/lash regardless of what front sprocket you put on it, would it be worth a shot (to extend the full CS replacement job/cost out several thousand miles from the near future) to tack weld the front sprocket on? My thinking is that the CS has to be replaced anyway so it wouldn't hurt to reduce lash and extend the time you have until you have to fully tear into it to replace the CS. A dremel should quickly get the front sprocket off when it becomes toast. I guess the other consideration is trail-side repairs, though I've never had to pull a front sprocket on a whim either. Just a thought and not my intention to sound like a low-road hack.
  11. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

If you weld enough to actually hold up and take out the lash, you're going to be doing more than tacking, which means more work to get it off, and possibly annealing the end of the shaft, which could cause it to fail earlier...
  12. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

Makes sense. Again not looking for a low road hack for the fella...was just thinking aloud on a possibility for extending service life before having to split the cases (and to also remove lash which causes shock/wear to the rest of the system.)
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have wear but the shaft is not trashed yet. Just going to run it but watch carefully. Some don't have this problem and some do. Perhaps it is a metallurgical issue.
    EricV likes this.
  14. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Ken, Are you doing the cush hub and Kush sprocket?

15. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Do you need to remove the CS sprocket to disassemble the motor?

16. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Case splits horizontally and the CS sprocket pulls out to the inside through the bearing/seal.
  17. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think you meant to say the counter shaft pulls out to the inside...?

Just did a search for "welding cs sprocket", lots out there.

18. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    A mate had similar issue with wear on the counter shaft.It was on a ktm and was pretty bad.What he did was cover the shaft with blue loctite.When he pulled the sprocket for replacement the the loctite was deformed but the shaft had no more wear.The difference between the ktm and the husky is the ktm has washer and bolt to hold on the sprocket which may of helped hold the loctite in.
    duggoey likes this.
  19. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I meant that you pull the splined area through the bearing, towards the centerline of the case.
    I need to pull up my manual and make sure I'm not wrong :P
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Checked, yep you'd have to cut the CS sprocket off to get the motor apart.