IMS tank on TE630.....nearly done!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Homerb, Jul 30, 2015.

1. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Just a little confused as to how that is considered less ugly than a Safari tank, no offence meant!
  2. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    I actually agree with you! While there are plenty of pics on the net of the TE630 with the Safari tank fitted, I couldn't find any of the IMS tank on the 630, to see how it would look .Your right it is pretty ugly. But for me it was always about wanting a 20 litre tank. Looks were always my last concern.
  3. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I thought the stock radiator shrouds could be used with the IMS? Bolt on your stock red shrouds and your bike will look much better IMO.

Speaking of ugly, if you think the Safari TE630 tank is bad you haven't seen nothing until you look at the Terra TR650 Safari tank. Now that is so ugly even it's mother would agree. When I first saw it I was speechless. Now I think it looks like a shark swallowed the bike.

[IMG]

_
    AJsgp and Etze like this.
  4. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    The stock 610 radiator shrouds can be used with the IMS tank. The 630 shrouds are different. I could cut them up to make them fit, but I'm not going to bother. Maybe I'll get some used 610 shrouds cheap and fit them. I like the Terra, but that tank is just taking the piss!
  5. Etze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    Non
    lmao

Thanks for the laugh.

:D
  6. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll just drop this here for a comparison. :rolleyes: 20150515_105727.jpg
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  7. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Give Homerb a chance to shoot some more images! I'd love to see the bike from the side where you can see the add-on.

My buddy Sam's bike with an IMS tank is shown below. I personally think the tank looks more suited to the bike than the Safari. I am also not satisfied with the build quality of my Safari - it still persistently leaks around the fuel pump area. It cost me $700 at the time, I've spent around another $400 trying to fix the leak issue. Still leaks. I've not seen one for $580. In terms of weight distribution and performance, I high-sided with a fully loaded Safari tank. Afterwards I tried to figure out what happened. Yes, the weight is carried low, but also forward, it loads the front forks and changes the handling of the bike. A blip on the throttle was not be enough to get out of that rut, I nose-dived and was out. Obvious stuff really. It explains those Rallye style big-tank options that puts the weight closer to the center or under the seat. Since that experience, I've found myself only half-filling my Safari tank. I have more fun riding that way. Sure, its nice to have the option to have a really long range. I rarely need it. I would have been very happy with the IMS tank if it had been an option. Next bike I'll probably go Rotopax.

[IMG]
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Although I don't have a dog in this fight, my Safari has been trouble free over thousands of miles, and it sure is nice to have a range of over 300 miles. I have needed it! Having said that, I'm thinking of returning my 630 to stock and doing shorter rides with it. Long trips will be on my WRR, likely with an IMS large tank in place of my current Safari.
  9. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, the bikes still going great, except......last night I ran out of gas, right outside a gas station. No problems. Push it in and fill it up. Bike wouldn't start.
    Air got into the fuel lines and the fuel pump wouldn't self prime. No biggie, just undid the fuel hose from the top of the pump, let the fuel fill the pump and away I went. So I've just drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in the top of the reservoir to allow me to bleed the system next time I run out, if I ever do.
  10. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Wait, what? You ran out of gas after installing a 20L tank??? :thumbsup:
  11. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    a 20L *clear* tank, even???
  12. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, well I wanted to see if the fuel in the "wings" would be all usable. It is. Besides it was dark. :doh:
    JonDirt and mjskier like this.
  13. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    IMG_20150901_144657.jpg IMG_20150901_144719.jpg s a Here's a couple of photos of the bike all finished. I decided to leave the top of the fuel pump exposed to make it easier to bleed the system if I need to.