IMS tank on TE630.....nearly done!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Homerb, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Staintune will be done day after tomorrow. Can't wait.
  2. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I picked up the bike today. What a difference the Staintune makes! Breathes so much better and pulls a LOT harder. Bit loud though. I'll have to look into getting a baffle.
    Tomorrow I'll get started on fitting the external fuel pump.....after I've been for a ride!
    JonDirt likes this.
  3. nessy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey mate - any pics with the shrouds fitted to the IMS tank yet :-)
  4. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK. So I got stuck into fitting the external fuel pump today. This is what I started with.
    DSCF7514.JPG
    I decided to enclose the fuel pump and reservoir in some PVC pipe to keep mud and dust from getting into the pump. This is how it turned out. DSCF7526.JPG
    I mounted the pump on the frame behind the right footpeg, hooked up a temporary fuel supply and connected the pump wiring to the fuel pump plug.
    DSCF7519.JPG
    I covered the plug with electrical tape to keep it clean.
    DSCF7520.JPG
  5. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I then tested the fuel pump by turning on the ignition, and....Nothing! Bloody kill switch was in. I won't say how long it took me to work that one out!
    Pump worked perfectly, nearly filling a 1.25 litre bottle in 60 seconds.
    DSCF7523.JPG
    You can see the pump location above. Next I connected up the fuel filter, and the fuel pressure regulator to check it all worked as it should. I connected the end of the fuel line to the throttle body, primed it a few times, hit the starter and......success! Ran like a champ. The fuel pressure regulator was placed in a clear bottle so I could see it operating. It was interesting to watch how it works. It cycles on and off as the pressure builds above 43 psi in the fuel line. At idle, I reckon 95% of the fuel gets dumped back in the tank. I installed a plug under the seat to make disconnecting/removing the pump easier.
    DSCF7528.JPG
    I have to explain, the fuel pressure regulator I'm using isn't the stock TE630 unit. Its an aftermarket unit I bought from an EFI supplier. Its the same size as the stock unit, but importantly, the fuel feeds in through the end rather than through the sides like the stock unit. I needed one like this to enable me to mount it how I want into the tank. I added a extra 'O' ring to help it seal in the fitting I'm using. DSCF7536.JPG
  6. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's how I fitted the pressure regulator to the tank. I purchased a 20mm bronze skin fitting from a boat supplies shop. I enlarged the hole in the end slightly so the regulator was a snug fit. I brazed a barbed fitting to the bottom of the fitting to take the fuel line.
    DSCF7539.JPG
    The regulator is held in place by wire which I'd threaded through 4 x 2mm holes I drilled. The hard part was drilling a 20mm hole in my new IMS tank!
    DSCF7533.JPG
    There's 2 large 'O' rings which will seal the fitting against the inside of the tank. Here it is fitted to the tank.
    DSCF7540.JPG
  7. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I ran out of light and time today to get it all finished. I'm just connecting all the fuel lines from the tank, 5 in total. I wrapped the PVC pump cover in black electrical tape to help waterproof it and it looks less obtrusive black.
    The only question now is where to mount the fuel filter? I'm actually considering putting it inside the airbox.
    More to follow tomorrow.
  8. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    That's awesome work. Look forward to hearing about the trial run!
  9. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Is that the permanent location for your fuel pump/reservoir?

_
  10. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    At this stage, yes. It may change if it doesn't work out.
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:

Okay so hopefully the black tape wrap and installing the side cover will help hide it some then. I just thought it strange as your main objection to the Safari tank was looks and then you go and add a strap on.

_
  12. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    My main objection to the Safari is, in order, 1. Price 2. Too big 3. Looks.

Anyway, its all done!
    Just fired it up and once the fuel pump was primed, it started first go!
    I've added some more photos showing how it all went together. Not as easy as I thought it would be. Swapping to a single muffler was an unexpected expense.
    Glad I did it though.
    The biggest dramas were modifying and fitting the fuel pump, finding somewhere to fit the fuel filter, and sorting out the fuel pressure regulator. Sorting out all the fuel hoses took a bit of fiddling, but wasn't too hard. DSCF7548.JPG
    Fuel filter location.
    DSCF7545.JPG
    DSCF7547.JPG
    AJsgp likes this.
  13. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    More pics
    DSCF7548.JPG DSCF7549.JPG DSCF7548.JPG DSCF7549.JPG DSCF7551.JPG

Attached Files:

Xcuvator likes this.
  14. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any questions....fire away.
  15. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Cool!

How about a pic of the whole bike all assembled and ready to rumble! Curious to see how the add-on looks.
  16. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ran out of light today for final photos. Test ride and more photos tomorrow.
  17. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Okay first of all I'm not trying to bust your balls but just playing devil's advocate here. I think what you are doing is great, applaud your efforts and glad you've went down this path since it is what you wanted and will give others a step up if they want to follow. This same project was started by George Earl at Uptite Husky but never offered as a production item before he parted ways with Husky. Your version is less obtrusive than his was also so thumbs up.

1. Price
    Here in the US we can get a Safari shipped to our door for $580. How much will your entire setup be? I'm guessing over $400 so while cheaper not as much difference as one would think or expect. Plus your time and labor consideration for assembly and extra parts sourcing has to have some value assigned to it.

2. Too big
    If too big as in you don't need the volume then don't fill it up, easy. If too big as related to looks then go to 3. One very big note here is Safari tank was designed for EFI so the tank hangs nice and low keeping weight down low. The IMS was designed for gravity feed so couldn't do this. Safari gives you a weight carrying distribution improvement over both stock and IMS if you only fill to those volumes. And when you need the extra capacity you have it on demand. Also you keep stock fuel delivery system including the low fuel warning light. Although the fuel light now comes on with 1.5 gallon reserve remaining instead of stock .5 gal

3. Looks
    Knee jerk response "it's a dirt bike, who cares" But understandable as that kept me from buying one for a few months myself. The looks do grow on you some and the added versatility of the Safari is priceless.

_
    djc likes this.
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Awesome work!
  19. nessy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Excellent work !

Cant wait to see the finished result :applause:
  20. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here she is, all done. Did about 100kms today, and the bike ran perfectly.:applause::applause::applause:
    DSCF7556.JPG