iBeat 2.1 with Windows 7...

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by krieg, May 31, 2010.

1. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    ... NO.

Bought a 10 inch "NetbooK" with Windows 7 at HHgregg today for the sole purpose of carrying it in my hydration backpack for EFI tuning. Couldn't get iBeat to run. Thinking it might have been the limited processing capability, I took it back and got an 11 inch laptop with a Celeron processor and 2 gigs of ram with Windows 7... Nope! Took it back and got a 10 inch Netbook with Windows XP and... YES! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Works great and fits nicely in my hydration pack. :applause:

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 and iBeat aren't friends. :D
  2. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you check to see if WIN7 was 32 or 64 bit?
  3. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    32 bit in both cases.
  4. seredyns Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's interesting. I am using Win7 32bit and it runs fine for me. What was happening? Would it install? If my memory serves me correctly I think I had to manually launch the setup program to start the install.
  5. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm wondering about install too. I ran all three attempts from a memory stick backup of the iBeat CD/DVD, Both time it failed in Windows 7. Loaded and ran fine in XP. :excuseme:
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    UPDATE: I just rechecked the specs on the 11 inch laptop on the Acer website and it says the Windows 7 IS 64 bit! The label at the store didn't specify, the salesman said 32 bit, and in my haste to get it back to the store after I couldn't get iBeat to run, I never checked the actual machine. However, the first Toshiba 10" I tried was definitely WIN 7, 32 bit and I still couldn't get it to run. The second Toshiba 10" with XP ran fine. Now I'm really confused.
  7. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Yea unfortunately our laptop is Win7 64 bit- it does not matter if you try to use the 'comparability wizard' nor use in 'administrator mode'

Fortunately my buddy gave me an old laptop that runs Windows NT that has a USB port and a CD- Installed without issue- hooked to bike last night. Made some changes- easily- and its performing better. I will continue to play. ;)
  8. BretCutler Husqvarna
    C Class

Subscribing to this. I just bought a 2010 smr510 and Ibeat but could not load it onto the Windows 7 computer I just bought. Hoping for a solution! Maybe a new Ibeat software for us?
  9. Steam Husqvarna
    B Class

i had to replace an xp laptop because the motherboard is failing, preventing the usb ports from working. the replacement is a win7 machine which i love, until i just loaded ibeat v2.01. the install appeared to work fine, but when i start ibeat the message reads "diagnostic tool has not normally installed in this pc."

i searched and found this thread, pulled out the old xp machine, loaded ibeat, and voila... it fires up. maybe i'll get lucky and the serial port will operate and i can get to work.

jrmobb gave this link to windows 7 xp mode/virtual pc, but i have windows 7 home premium 64 bit, which is not eligible.
  10. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I know this is an old thread, but...

I'm about to buy an iBeat setup from Semco, but I only have Windows 7/64-bit machines here. However...

I have VMWare Workstation. If you don't know what it is, it's basically software that lets you run a "computer within a computer". What I can do with it is run a Windows XP Virtual Machine (VM) in a window, on my Windows 7 machine.

At first, I wasn't sure if I would be able to access the bike/cable connection via the VM. So, for kicks, I built a Windows XP VM and plugged my iPhone into my computer. I was able to copy photos off of my iPhone and onto the VM. So, it looks promising!

I'd like to avoid having to hunt down a free/cheap XP laptop to do this, but I need to be able to do it if I'm going to get this boat anchor exhaust off of my TE630.

EDIT: I cross posted this in this thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ibeat-semco-efi-info.6079/page-5#post-160953 I know, naughty. :D
  11. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I haven't actually hooked it up to my bike yet, but it looks like the Virtual Machine will work. The drivers and software are installed, no problems.
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Oops, I forgot to report back.

iBeat will install on a 64-bit machine, but it will not run.

Yes, running 32-bit XP with iBeat installed in a virtual machine on my Windows 7-64 laptop worked perfectly!
  13. tuplavee Husqvarna
    B Class

I'm having some problems with my win7 'mini' laptop(asus eeepc), it has a 'widescreen' so some of the ibeat info can't be seen... and there's no way to scroll.. stupid.

Can't change resolution...

Otherwise it works, with win7 starter 32bit. Copied ibeat from cd to usb and it installed just fine.
  14. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    My 10inch Acer Aspire One is the same way, just change the view from dash boad to the other one (I forget what it is called) with the big numbers and you can see everything just with numberic values vice graphs and meters. When you do the CO adjustments, everything is in view and that is what really matters!
  15. tuplavee Husqvarna
    B Class

Yep, I just installed it and thought there was something important to see :) You can actually view them if you install GiMeSpace-program. But it's kinda clumsy... Let's you scroll window out of screen when youre not in full view mode.
  16. tuplavee Husqvarna
    B Class

Well ok, program installed just fine but I can't get Serial to USB-cable working! Windows don't let me install any drivers for it.....bohoo.. :(

Any ideas? Would try XP-mode but it can't be installed to Win7 Starter...

All USB-ODB2 cables have worked just fine, like the ones I have for my Skoda(VAG-COM) and had for my Speed Triple(Tuneboy)
  17. B_M_F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR 450
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  18. tuplavee Husqvarna
    B Class

Yesyes, but wifey has Windows 7 STARTER on her laptop(which i use in garage), and Virtual-PC / XP-Mode can only be installed to Windows7 Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate.

I Do have win7 pro at my desktop computer, but i wouldnt want wire this in the garage... too much work :)

"You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. To upgrade visit Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade."
  19. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Did you try opening the application's properties and setting it to run in 32 bit mode?
  20. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I remember reading somewhere that doing that wouldn't work. So, rather than fight with it, I just ran it in a 32-bit XP virtual machine.

I have the VM saved, so I just run it any time I need to use my iBeat. No big deal.