1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

I have had it. (kickstand issue)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by 65fastback, May 24, 2010.

1. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah I know!! Seriously!! What kind of brain dead moron would EVER run with the kickstand down?? Whatever... Thin the herd I say...:lol:

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20776&postcount=60
  2. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah,

so

um...

How much you charging for these!?:busted:
  3. rajobigguy Administrator

It wouldn't be very feasible to make something like this on a production level in my machine shop. Now if someone with a 3 axis CNC mill were cranking out the headpieces they could pop one out in a few minutes each (after the initial set-up). That kind of operation could make them relatively inexpensive and still turn a profit.
  4. 65fastback Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449 2011 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX 140L
    This is awesome. Obviously Husqvarna must make one heck of a bike if we can get three pages about the kickstand. Not much else to complain about.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

Yep, I actually have fewer complaints about the Huskys than most bikes I've owned or ridden and the plus's far outweigh any negatives.:thumbsup:
  6. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

If anyone has come up with, or found a better solution for the kickstand, please let me know. Mine broke right after I dismounted at a gas station for a fill up.
    Didn't just piss me off, but also scared the hell outa me, what if a little kid gets to close to look at it (happened many times) & it decides to snap again? Ever since, I won't let my daughter anywhere near my bike, I've had it rewelded while I was still in TN, but now don't trust it.

P.S. I never use the stand to get on or off.
  7. FatBuoy Husqvarna
    B Class

Won't the Motosportz one work if you remove the tab from your frame? It seems that I saw a report from Kelly that it would. Has anyone tried? The thing drives me nuts. I have to find a rock, beer can, whatever to place the stand on every time I dismount on anything but packed dirt, rock or concrete....and I'm the only one in the pack. (I'm the only one with a Husky)
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

YES! Exactly .... very much so! They must have realised that the stand was useless ... or they wouldn´t have offered a central stand as an alternative. I´ve already dropped my new 630 once (and broken a Magura lever).
  9. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whaa??? :eek:

I thought the 630 stand was much mo betta, 'fixed' even!?

Did you drop it cuz of user error/auto-retract (easily fixed) or because the stand doesn't actually hold the bike, like the 610's?
  10. robdogg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    why is this such a problem for folks? if you simply roll your bike back a bit after propping it on the stand, it locks it in place

or am I missing the point of this discussion?
  11. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

I don't think the issue for most people is whether or not the stand locks down - you can easily fix it so it doesn't spring up by itself if that's what you mean, and many people will have done that (me included).

So, let's see - lean the bike miles away from you just so you can get the stand down in the first place (the only bike I ever owned where you need to do that). Then roll the bike back so it locks in place. Then watch the bike overbalance to the left or to the right if it's not on firm, perfectly level ground (e.g. if you happen to be on dirt). Or of course the stand might just decide to snap in half instead. Other than that, no problem at all!

Maybe you're lucky and you own a model which has a perfectly functional stand, so as a matter of interest which model is it?
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On my previous bike (CCM), I could remain sitting upright and lower the sidestand with my left boot, lean the bike on the stand and then get off. I have to climb off my Husky first, lean the bike over to the other side, try and lower the stand (against the spring), keep it down and then pull the bike backwards to lock the stand. This is definitely going to result in me dropping the bike quite often.
  13. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    First off, the kickstand is not for getting on and off the bike...
    Second, lower the stand, put your foot behind it and lower the bike and rock back...

i can see the whole problem with the auto retract...easy fix after looking at it....

face it guys if this is your biggest complaint...man we have it great...

you could have a KX that everything wears out in a year...or hell any mx bike without a KS....or a Kaboom that the alloy bolt just broke off....
  14. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    One way or another it is if you have a 30" inseam and can't kick like Bruce Lee.

Either you use the footpeg for leverage, which can bend the stand over time or...

You leave the bike on the stand for support while you try to heave your leg over it. While you're pulling yourself up, notice the amount of downforce being applied to the stand... you may as well use the damn foot peg!

I dunno about the more current stands, but my '03's stand is fairly rugged. I haven't had the bike long, but it's holding up well.

I guess I need to work on my John Wayne mounts/dismounts.
  15. robdogg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    amen.. heck, in the old days, when everyone rode MX bikes on the trails, your kickstand was the closest tree, side hill, or the ground on occasion. I recently broke my kickstand on my 610 on a multi-day ride and for a few days, went back to the old tree stand solution.

Not saying these kickstands aren't annoying, and would gladly spend some money (some, not much) to fix it if someone camp up with a reasonable alternative, but not going to worry about it all that much..

and I am short (30in inseam), fat and ride a 2008 TE250 and haven't dropped it or had it fall over yet.. and I've had it on some pretty gnarly trails with it

but to each his own.. was just trying to figure out what all the commotion was about

-rob to the dogg
  16. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not making it a big issue. The main quibble is the legal necessity of having a kill switch on it. Just one of those permanent battles for total perfection ....
  17. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Some Husky's have better kickstands than others. Mine side stand has been a source of disappointment and embarrassment from the first day I bought it. Not all of us ride where there are trees, that is not an option on a desert ride. Why have a piece of equipment on the bike that is non functional.

When I pull up to a closed gate, I have to either let my buddies open it, or lay my bike down in the road to get it, neither one a suitable choice in my mind.

When the rest of my riding buddies are taking advantage of a rest break to stretch their legs, again, I either sit on my bike or lay it down, because it wont stand on its own.

Read some of the older threads before you so easily dismiss the problem.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5472&highlight=kickstand

Read post 23 of the following thread.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2945&highlight=kickstand

I am now used to the sneers and jeers of others when it comes to the functionality of my kick stand, yes, even those that have a rubber band holding their kick stand up. :) Ken
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    up until recently I rode a CR125 in the Nevada and So Cal desert...yes treeless, bushless and sometimes rockless... use a little imagination....lean it against a buddy with a kick stand...hell i have used to kick standless bikes together like a tee pee...or when all else fails...turn the gas off and lay it over...or if your idea for a kickstand is better then put it to work and do it...go buy one that bolts or clamps onto the swingarm or something....
  19. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Think about what you are saying here... If you paid top dollar for a new car, and the parking brake didn't work and no parking gear, and the dealer wouldn't fix it, what would you do. I know, you could use your imagination and pull up to your neighbors bumper, or a curb or some bushes, and just learn to live with it. Or you could start cutting and welding on your new car and fix it yourself. Again, neither is an ideal option in my mind.

I have learned to live with my husky stand, and until someone comes out with a suitable replacement I will continue to live with it. As I have said before, I would rather ride my Husky with its POS kick stand, than a lessor bike with a good kick stand. But why can't I have both?

I hope the engineer that designed my kickstand (and the quality manager that approved it) has had better luck in the rest of his endeavors.

Instead of telling others to live with their dysfunctional bikes, its not that bad, or fix it themselves, I think the effort would be better spent telling Husqvarna corporate that we will quit purchasing their bikes if they don't start giving us the things we want in a bike, like a sidestand that works, bigger factory tanks, taller 6th gear, ect. Of course it would be a total bluff, because I love my Husky and would buy another anyway:). Ken
  20. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dysfunctional? NOT... you and others have spent more time crying about it than I have rebuting it....just ride your dang bike and find a fix...call Rob Kieth(parts) or whoever is taking Hardens place and say HEY I found a better way....crying about it on here isnt doing a thing....

AND comparing a car that goes down the street to a bike that bashes thru brush trees and other bikes every ride is LAME...and it doesnt hurt a thing to lean a bike on another....

And all but the taller 6th gear is available..just pay for it....want a cheap bike with nothing or a husky that you only need a few things....I can run thru the list of things you HAVE to add to a big four bike...which is everything...everyone dont want a huge tank, everyone dont want a taller 6th gear, i would agree most want a good side stand, but if thats all i got to gripe about that is sweet...cause i have owed most brands and alot of models and hate most but these....so dont run them down to bad over a stupid KICKSTAND