Husky design fixes I'd do...

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Motorcycles Corporation' started by ARod2000, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just read the Hare and Hound report where Ty Davis broke off his exhaust and I thought "haven't they fixed that yet?? I say it like that because the same thing happened to me on my WR and on my TE. And I saw this happen to another Husky at a race and a friend in Maryland had a tab break off on his subframe as well. Seems to be a common issue. Another common issue I'd fix is the shifter seems to be too close to the clutch cover and the clutch cover gets cut from it. Or maybe the shifter is too soft and bends in to easily. Either way, it seems fairly common too. And lastly, the kickstand seems to bend to easily. But, I am a big bastard so maybe it's me?:D

I love my Husky and this is not at all intended to be a bash thread. Just something that hopefully someone in high places sees. Constructive criticism to make the brand better.

My TE was an '06 and my WR is an '06 so maybe these things have been fixed but I don't think the sub frame tabs for the exhaust have since this H'nH report and what I've seen.
  2. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

Great post!
    For the TE's
    1. Min of a 3 gal tank
    2. Make 6th gear tall enough to cruise comfy at 60mpg on the hwy.
    3. Put the counter balancer back in.
    IMHO these simple changes would make a very good bike a great bike.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The fix that I want Husky to do is to make a reed valve system or other system to keep the engine oil from pouring out of their 4 stroke models when you fall on the right side.:doh:
  4. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, but a larger tank and taller gearing isn't really the same as what I was saying. I was pointing out weakness in the existing models that need to be addressed. Your first two points kinda point to wanting a different bike. We're kinda saying different things.

I like Dirtdame's post about oil coming out when it tips over. I remember that happening once or twice.
  5. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I'm puzzled by this one... You sit on your bike with the kickstand down?
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

That plastic mud flap that hangs down from the airbox cuts the swingarm.

The spark plug cap on the 2t models fails way to frequently.

Silencer mounts crack (at least on 2t)

Swingarm and lower shock bearing seals are a joke. Maybe copy Gasgas.

Motor mounts always come loose, maybe use larger hardware.

I can think of a lot more design changes I would like to see but this is all I can think of for flaws that need fixes. Overall not too many issues and I am sure all brands have at least as many. But it would be nice if Husky addressed these common problems. When you build basically the same bike year after year things should be sorted.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    We're on the same page!

Even though I dremmeled the ribs off the mudflap the ENTIRE flap is eating into the swingarm now and half the weld is now gone. I need to cover the entire area with foam tape or something.....

I just tore my frame down today at 54.5hrs and the lower shock bearing is rusted frozen and the swingarm bearings are toast. Less than a year old and 54hrs :excuseme:

I also chased a gremlin noise last week in the motor. I thought a nut had backed off a shaft and was contacting something as the motor turned or a crank bearing was going south, so I tore into the motor and everything was perfect. Turns out 1 freaking motor mount bolt was loose and making a terrible racket. Cost me a new PV gasket and side cover gasket. $0.02 worth of loctite would have avoided that issue. :banghead:

Love the bike. Not loving the sloppy shortcuts Husky took to make it though.
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

PC
    To protect the swingarm I just cut a zip tie to length and used shoo goo to attach it to the swingarm where the damage will occur. Tape it in place while it dries. I used to also run a piece of clear number plate protector over the zip tie but it doesn't seem to be needed.

I tear into the swingarm and lower shock bearing about every 8 wet rides. Sucks but at least I got a year out of them. The bearings with zerks all look like new since I give them a shot of grease after every wet ride or wash. I have heard that Gasgas parts drop right in but unless I can find out exactly what to order I don't want to give it a try.

On my WR250 I could tell when the motor mounts were getting loose by the increased vibration. I finally used red loctite on them and they stopped moving. Blue loctite was good enough on the 125.

Did you get the Keihin on yet?
  9. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Will be here Wednesday, but my bike is torn down to the frame now. I'm waiting on new bearings/seals and I'm servicing the fork and shock in the meantime.

Should be trail worthy in a week.

How you doing? About ready to ride?
  10. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    How about those silly inserts in the subframe that spin....I always seem to get in a jam there......but why ??

Doesnt seem to matter what I do...the grips on all three of my bikes will not stay put....like the finish on the bars is impervious to glue or something....

same here...sprocket bolts and motor mounts need constant attention....but its dry here not much noticed with dry brgs...I better check again though.........:smirk:

but at least the decals peeling off issue has been solved :busted:
  11. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello everyone! I took a piece of 5mm thick neopren foam wich had tape on one side and cut it to fit between the ribs on the dustprotection on the airbox, cleaned the swingarm with alcohol an just put it in place. Works perfect! I also did some frame and enginecover protection of carbon look thick tape. I also have transparent tape on my tank and side panels to keep it nice!

Johnny
  12. husky4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

rear fender

I know the Italians are cutting edge in design but don't you think the plastic could be more flexible and the rear fender not point strait up on a dirt bike. I must be old because I loved the the lines of the earlier years.
  13. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 2010 TXC 250 sprocket bolts now extend longer than the lock nut now. I was just thinking of filing them off for weight... Just kidding.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I had a friend tell me to use Gorilla Glue on the grips and then wet the bars or throttle tube. I never have to wire tie them again. When you go to remove them scrape the glue off. Graphics, if you ever see just a little bubble start. Peel them back a little, clean the dirt off of sticky part( Be careful not to got thru graphic. Use black 3M weather strip adhesive/ tape down till dry. Clean up using lacquer thinner. Never bubble again!
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    [

Motor mounts always come loose, maybe use larger hardware.

Motor mount bolts issue, I have heard that the ZipTy crew does ream the holes and goes up to the next diameter size bolts, just hearsay but makes sense.
  16. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    The silencer needs a snug stainless hose clamp around the middle and up over the subframe. Costs nothing, weighs nothing, and strong. The silencer fasteners will loosen over a long event. Need a very minor slit in the rear side panel. Cheers
  17. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    Also; one can drill and tap in zerk fittings for the swingarm-ez on the clutch side, need to be thoughtful on the chain side, a 45 degree fitting works here. Last thing, I think Scott Summers used a rubber tube cover zip-tied on the bottom shock heim to repel spooge.
  18. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1 on the silencer tabs breaking and the lower shock bearing.

i had to file on the chain guide mount so it wouldnt hit my sprocket. it dosent look like its bent and ive got a brp guide so i would think the guide would have flexxed before the aluminum would bend.

make the front whel bearings and seals the same on both sides. just to make it easier to ge parts. same for the rear if he same case applies.

it would be sweet if my rear fender would flex like a ktm's as well. i do how ever love how my bike looks even though it dosent have brand new shiney plastic.
  19. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Where was that report? Was it from round #2/ridgecrest? about 2/3 around the first loop (after my normal back of the pack start) one of thte zipty guys came flying past me, so I figured he must have had a crash or mechanical or something that slowed him up enough to be way back with the old slow fat people.
  20. husqvarna te450 Husqvarna

Lol my te450 2008 bearings are crap, my swing arm bearings are seized and I can't get the axel out, there are really bad bearings and on my rear wheel too. But I've had bought mine at 500 miles and now at 5,000 miles and my spline shaft for my front drive sproket is worn down and needs changing which cost £200 just for the shaft. Please note they don't last long and I can't change it tillIi get out the axel that is seized in the engine due to blown bearing. Plus today it won't start a flashing neutral light and no starter motor noise so maybe cracked fuse. My account is £27,000 at Husky Sport, they even know my name when I ring lol. But thats 2 brand new 2008 sm125s and a 2008 te450ie second hand so I dont want to spend much more there at the moment lol. I've got no money and its starting to show.