How screwed am I?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Kt06siggm1, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    The whole cover needs to come off to seal the join that has been put together without sealant. You need to take the water pump housing off to do do this, it isnt a big job. You will need another gasket for the pump, i just made one from a sheet of gasket paper. I saw on a forum (maybe this one?) that the pump needs a proper gasket, rather than just RTV because of clearances between the rotor and housing, its best not taking the chance for the sake of a gasket.
    Kt06siggm1 likes this.
  2. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Ordered the water pump gasket. To seal the cover, do I need a particular RTV or will any oil resistant high heat work?
  3. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Kt06siggm1 likes this.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I have given this more thought, i was thinking of the most basic way to get the seal out in the post above
    If you got some long bolts the same thread as the screws and a couple of matching nuts and a short length of maybe 5mm thick steel flat bar. Drill holes through the bar to match the screw holes that hold the retaining plate and a couple of holes that line up with the seal shell that allow the self tappers to drop through. You put the bolts through the bar and the nuts part way up the bolts, screw the bolts with bar to the casing, carefully screw the self tappers into the seal shell through the bar, just enough to get a good hold, then wind the nuts up the bolts, pulling the screws with the seal. This way the pressure is put on the thickest part of the casing surrounding the seal.
    Kt06siggm1 and mg94 like this.
  5. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Can't you access the seal from the pump side? just knock it out from the outside (pump side) no?

Also I have not seen pictures of the crank, after my balance shaft nut came off it destroyed the shaft end and threads are gone, had to replace whole shaft
    Kt06siggm1 likes this.
  6. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Some of the threads we're damaged up front but I'm hoping once I get it started that it will be good. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
  7. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    How much in parts was it to replace the entire shaft?
  8. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Just checked for a new crankshaft and that would be $800+. Wonder if the threads are damaged, maybe run a die on it to clean them up? Anyone know the thread pitch?
  9. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Just wait until the new parts arrive before continuing further. Try the new nut before doing anything to the threads, maybe they will just need a gentle dressing with a triangle needle file. Put oil on the threads before running the new nut up, to try and stop it picking up any damaged threads.
    I will be good to hear you got your bike back running with not much cost and effort.
    I hope i dont come across like im trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, nuances and the things you pick up about people in person are kind of lost over a forum
    Kt06siggm1 likes this.
  10. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Not at all. I really appreciate the help. Here is what the threads look like. IMG_20171214_124413.jpg IMG_20171214_124417.jpg
  11. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Looks like a broken oil pump ear too... there is a thread about welding it...
  12. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
  13. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
  14. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    OK, i feel a little stupid now, that is the end of the crank that broke off in the picture.
    I thought that you had taken the gear off the crank and found the key to be damaged as a result of the nut turning loose.
    So, i wonder when the piece of crank got broken off, was it already broken, waiting to be found, or was it broken by the nut turning loose?
  15. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Kt06siggm1 likes this.
  16. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    I knew about the crank ear being broken. I damaged it last time I had the case off. Was gonna have a buddy weld it when he has time
  17. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    So i am going mental, i should check peoples post history before posting replies :rolleyes: i remember the thread about the crank ear being broken now
    So is the woodruff key from the gear on the crankshaft?
  18. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Yes it is
  19. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Rotax_655 and Kt06siggm1 like this.
  20. Kt06siggm1 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Unfortunately parts won't be here until mid January so the bike will be down for a while. I will update the thread when I finally get parts.