Homemade Tail Tidy

Discussion in '610/630' started by ContraHusky, Sep 16, 2011.

1. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Haha, it was frustrating, but all I can say is patience and maybe a little 409.
    I got a corner up and sprayed, and peeled it back and sprayed some more. It broke and chipped plenty of times. Used 409 to get the rest of the sticky stuff off.
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    The plate is a total bustaroonie in California. They bust sportbikes for stashing they way under the fender all the time.
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    One more reason I'll never live in that craphole, no offense...
  4. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well, it's rather difficult to see under the fender, obscured entirely from side view and in shadow in direct view. I can't say as I blame the cops for cracking down on that.
  5. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    It's plainly visible from the back and about 45deg to either side.
    Oh well, no problems here after ~2400 miles on it... mostly on 2 wheels...
    [IMG]
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    looks like the pipes block it quite effectively to me...
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Welcome to SC... I'll take more pics later, but it's not like a cop is likely to be reading my plate from a strange angle, as long as he can plainly see that I HAVE a plate.
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Mine was the same way...until I washed the bike once. Mysteriously it just fell right off while rinsing...didn't even leave residue. Go figure. I was prepared to heat it up and pick at it, and then goo-b-gone it in the end. Glad I didn't need to do that b/c I'm not sure if the GBG would have been OK on that plastic.
  9. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Hiked here last weekend - Ohlone Wilderness, 30 minutes from my house. Yeah...what a craphole. Going to Point Reyes this weekend. What a dump, with those cliffs and beaches. But, according to the Tax Foundation, the total tax burden to live here is only 1% higher than the national median. So, the Sunshine Tax is only 1%...a bargain, in my view. And they throw in over 100,000 square miles of forests, beaches and deserts.

And, best of all...lane splitting is LEGAL!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Now all you need to do is flush your whole state gov't and Hollywood down the toilet and start from scratch, and it could be perfect!

ETA: It really is a beautiful place, most of it at least. But for my conservative, gun-owning, V8-driving self, I'll stick to my current area of operations;)
    mekanik and jtemple like this.
  11. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

heat gun/hair dryer is key
  12. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    If the cans are too long, I guess that's just another excuse for the Arrows!:p
    I also thought about shortening up the stockers by 4-6in next time I pack them in a year or two...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Tasty Triples Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my U.K 630 the dealer removed the running in sticker off the rear mudgaurd but this left the mudgaurd with a matt finish.No problems when i pointed this out they ordered me a new one.
  14. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    i tried mounting my plate under the fender like that on my SXV, got busted literally 2 minutes into my first ride of the season. i was dying laughing. cop was going the opposite direction, did a quick take and thought i was on a dirt bike with no plate.

when you actually sit on the bike and accelerate, the suspension compresses pushing the tail down, obstructing the view. we did a few tests, couldnt see jack. although my plate was located a bit lower/further back than RDTCU's, the wheel would get in the way on compression/acceleration too.

ended up making a custom mount out of a DRC EDGE-2 tail light for a DRZ. flipped it, chopped it and added two aluminum brackets for the plate. came out mint. never had a problem again.

bet the EDGE-2 would look pretty good on a Husky too. similar point to the fender. here's what mine looked like.

[IMG]
  15. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I'm inspired. How you get the white fended off, to get the wiring disconnected, to get the black fender off, to get the white fender off, you get where I'm going. Or, are there no disconnects on the wiring so I should just cut it and move on.
  16. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

If you pull the tail light (two screws) there are 3 connectors behind it for the tail light and signals. Once you pull those, pull the rubber grommet out of the black tail piece and pull the wires through and out of the way.
    Then it's just a couple screws on the sides and the black fender extension slides off.

After that it's up to you if you want to just roll with the small white extension or chop down the black one and put it back on.
  17. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Ahhh, the taillight is the key. Thanks! Think I'm going to fab a small bracket out of aluminium, attach it to the white fender, to hold the plate with some LED bolts for a plate light. Maybe a couple bends to place the plate a little more vertical. Already have some replacement signals.