Hey 2 wheelers, you got 4 legged pals?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Dirtdame, Sep 2, 2009.

1. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    luv my pup

Attached Files:

lankydoug likes this.
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Got this mountain cur pup for Father’s Day, he’s 15 weeks this Friday and driving everyone and everything crazy.
    987D387F-ACF8-4059-B472-F0D93F26DF7D.jpeg
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I think this is the first time I've been able to think about sharing this. My old buddy Tango is on the other side. He was my super faihful companion for 17 years. He waited for me to return from a trip to let us have one more day together. He was my best friend and we went everywhere. 20160414_125528.jpg 12484787_1060088440708828_1792140831717244822_o.jpg
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This is the time, I gotta lay out my greatest, maybe the greatest, hunting dog story of all time, that I happened to witness as a young man in the great state of AR; Yep, I'm a hunter and fisherman also but those days are long gone; Not a safari guy by any stretch of the imagination. And not a guy to purchase a dog. We got them from friends :). I'll try to make this as short as possible but there are lots of details about country-boy life and hunting wild animals for sport and food that set this hunting dog story up.

And yes, we have owned house dogs also. More of an outside fan though. What I witnessed with these hunting dogs at work was as great as most any human endeavorer I've seen.

This story happened behind the Mississippi River levee in SE AR, late 70s, early 80s I'd guess; I was in my early 20s at the time; That levee keeps the flooding Mississippi River in check. The Mississippi floods every yr and might get well over 15 miles wide where we were hunting at. Deer season at this time was 1 week long and everything in SE AR shutdown for deer season that week. Yep, it was big. We used dogs to force the deer to move and then maybe get a shot at one; I either had my Browning Auto-5 shotgun I was given at age 10 or I had my Remington 35 caliber lever action scoped rifle at the time; Outside chance I had my fathers' Remington woodsmaster 06; Now on to the black&tan hunting dogs story;

The Story:

I had left our camp and walked several miles across the woods just enjoying seeing all the different looks of the wooded terrain, as the terrain changed; Finally, I came across an old break that had about a foot of water in it with green scum formed all over the water. This was dead standing water, about 30 yrs wide. Very very bucky looking; Like a picture painted with a big 12-point buck standing in the deep woods, surrounded by does. I got up on a big big tree that had fell over the water and was looking down the break for a deer to show.

After maybe 20 minutes, I heard some dogs coming across the woods in front of me on my left. It was 3 of our camps dogs and they were sniffing and coming up the left side of the water towards me.

All at once, the lead dog was about 20 yrds from me, hit the scent of a deer, and went off trailing\howling\running to the high heavens across the water in front of me. The other 2 dogs fell in behind him and barking to the high heavens also, just ripping across that water. I nearly fell off the tree it scared me so bad but recovered and started looking for a deer to show himself but nope. The silence of the woods was broken and totally filled with the sound of 3 black&tans trailing this deer scent!

The dogs stayed on the trail about 10 minutes maybe; Then the woods went totally quiet. They had lost the trail! So what did these animals do? They suddenly came back across the woods at angle from the trail they had been following and hit the water almost exactly where the trail was at on the right side of the water, that they had just been trailing. The same dog that had hit the trail the first time was leading them back and the instant he hit the trail the second time coming out of the water, he went to trailing again, howling, as he did the first time he found the deer scent.

What did the other 2 dogs do? One of them started back-trailing; Meaning he was on the trail but going the wrong way. This dog, ran back across the water just barking loudly. The third dog? Confused; He ran out into the middle of the water and appeared to start back-trailing also but nope; He was hung on which dog to follow, so he was in the water barking loudly and went one way a few steps, then quickly turn towards the other dog and then turn back again, all the time in the water, splashing water everywhere but going no where!

He went back and forth like this, in the middle of that break, maybe 7-8 times as 1 dog was back-trailing and the other was trailing correctly. This, my good buddies, was dog, hunting-dog action... Finally the dog that was back-trailing realized his mistake and ran back across the water and back towards the lead dog. The dog in the water followed him. When all this was happening, I was just blown away by these dogs instinct and actions. Never had seen or heard anything like this before or to this date. Totally forgot to watch for a deer at this point and was just dog-watching now!

The dogs went out of hearing range from me and did not lose the trail this second time and ran the deer, a buck, back close to the levee about 8-10 miles away. We know this happened because the deer was shot and our dogs were there. The rules in hunting are that if you shoot a deer being run by someones elses' dogs, you give half the meat to the dogs owner. So the people who shot the deer, read the tags on the dog and contacted our camp.

This hunting area where this happened is all but gone now; Just another part of the south (and America) that is gone with the wind;
    -
    Here is a pic of a black&tan... Easy to see where the name come from; They are very good hunting dogs plus friendly enough most times.

[IMG]

At a deer camp like ours, BS flows, all in good nature; Guys who have dogs, want their dog to perform as I've tried to outline above, with their dog being the best hunting dog of any group of dogs. My father always said the best of these dogs was the dog that lead the other 2 dogs that day. Others did not always agree with that but what I saw these 3 dogs perform that day, proved my father was right-on!

--
    Just to try and give someone an idea on the excitement of seeing a real hunting dog working and coming across a scent and then rip-off + start trailing an animal with his barking and such, I went to youtube; It was insulting what I saw there for hunting dogs; One guy was in his back yr pulling a cow bone or something around his back yard for his 'hunting' dog to trail,,
  5. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    This is Frieda- shes always with me going Racing, she loves to be around with hundreds of people, dogs ...
    She is (sometimes) very loyal- if i tell her something she (might) does it- typicall german dachshund!
    Can t think about not having her by my side! IMG_20170603_150511.jpg IMG-20170603-WA020.jpg IMG_20170603_164552.jpg
    reveille, lankydoug and Dirtdame like this.
  6. Bones333 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1978 OR390, 2018 701E
    Other Motorcycles:
    many (mostly British)
    Two of my Rescues pulling guard duty in the pits of Rio Bravo, Houston.

Attached Files:

Miezie666 and jack topper like this.
  7. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Harley on a weekend trying to get motivated.

12832294_948073075312685_1846442762880373323_n.jpg
    Miezie666, FatDaddyMX and oldbikedude like this.
  8. hillbilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11te250 14cr150
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 ktm500
    Here is Morris on mouse duty 679A6092-602E-4FB1-8544-EB78AC112E33.png
  9. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    Siri and Ted. Siri is a Spanish Mastin cross and Ted is a Cockapoo.

20190131_163518_resized.jpg
    Miezie666 and oldbikedude like this.
  10. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Our man-dog Luke. He's the biggest four legged goof we've had with us yet.

DSCN2282.JPG
    DeathFromAbove and WoodsChick like this.
  11. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Good looking dog.
  12. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Thanks, we get a lot of enjoyment from having him in our lives.
    WoodsChick and oldbikedude like this.
  13. Mbcoulter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husky WR250
    It's honestly a pretty boring video, but it's my first time letting Jasper (4 year old spaniel / poodle / something else mix) follow me around while putting through the woods. He did great *and I didn't roost him* :-)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRB0YSmD2HY

:-)

He was a tired little dude that night!

[IMG]
    WoodsChick, sabortooth and Dirtdame like this.
  14. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I have a new kitty! Meet Apollo!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Paris shows off her mad free style skillz.:rolleyes::D:p
    [IMG]
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    So innocent and cute...but you never know what they are up to when you aren't looking.....:busted::lol:
    [IMG]
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  17. electronplanet Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    !976 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    1974 Yamaha TY250
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Yay Molly!!
    electronplanet likes this.
  19. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    New edition to the family 8 weeks old B2ACF974-D389-4BC5-85F6-BD99478BE88D.jpeg
    87husky500xc, Dirtdame and Eoin like this.
  20. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Thats an adorable puppy. Their a damn handful that young. My two pups are siblings and I brought them both home at 7 weeks and man what a pain haha tons of fun though
    Teambowles likes this.