Help! Debris found in my engine - 610/630 clutch issues

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rough Rider, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Grump Husqvarna
    A Class

Pics or it didn't happen. :D
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I want to see someone try a 50 ton press. :D
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I hope you are kidding:)
  4. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am sure the heating process is intended to anneal and hardens them.
  5. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I remember seeing another post on this from an aircraft mechanic. He outlined the correct method for hammering rivets which you hit from the opposite side using a tool on the mushroom side and no heat involved.
  6. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am sure it does depend on the type of rivet - ie what metal. I would imagine alu and SS rivets are worked cold. Copper non-ferous ideally requires heat to anneal and harden it as I understand. That said the action of peeling one with a hammer I would guess would work harden it some.
  7. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I thought that was fairly clear!?
  8. fatboycrash Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Ducati 900ss
    Ha!! :-)

No pics I'm afraid... but stand by for a new thread with my rebuilt 610 and what I did...
  9. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Taking a quick nap to smooth out the clutch basket.
    Also replaced the bronze bushing, but the spring cups still looked new after over 8k miles, so i held off on doing them for now. I've got new ones and rivets already though.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    motranqui likes this.
  10. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere

Those spring cups do look very good still however I would just replace them now since you have it all apart and parts on hand. Then you should never have to go back in again for a very long time.

_
  11. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would agree and the replacement ones are beefier and extra hard.
    hammer likes this.
  12. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I don't disagree, but I can lay the bike down and have the clutch basket out in ~15 minutes. They've got over 8000 miles on them now, and I have not been gentle, haha. If I had more time, I probably would have gone ahead and done them, but the weather was too pretty this weekend to be in the shop. They didn't look nearly as bad as I was expecting, especially considering the horror stories I've seen on here...
    Did some riding today after smoothing out the notches and throwing on a new chain last night, and it's a brand new bike again, clutch is silky smooth. My chain was getting pretty bad, binding up and getting notchy.
  13. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

[quote="RDTCU, post: 287323, member: 6494Did some riding today after smoothing out the notches ....[/quote]

Notches on the clutch basket? Also cleaned mine up just for good measure when I did the cup washers - looked much like yours.
  14. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Notches on the clutch basket? Also cleaned mine up just for good measure when I did the cup washers - looked much like yours.[/quote]

Yes, my clutch had felt a bit grabby for a while now, figured It was time to smooth it back out, now it engages like it did when it was new. I only took of a couple thousandths, no more than ~0.005 on the worst fingers til the notches were mostly gone.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I changed oil yesterday and as always look closely for any metal pieces. Very fine particles on the magnetic drain plug. Just a few particles on the fine screen on left side of motor. One bright flake, maybe 1 mm, on the oil filter pleats. That's the first really identifiable piece of metal I've seen so far, at around 7K. It sure looks like it came from the spring cups, so I've been expecting to see something like that some time. It looks like I will be OK to run on to the cam chain replacement interval before replacing the spring cups and bronze bushing.
  16. nickterc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610ie
    Im about to order the bushing but in the parts list the one reads
    Bushing (Ø 26 mmxØ 23 mm)and the other

Bushing (Ø 28 mmxØ 25 mm)
    .Which one have you ordered guys?
  17. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I pulled mine apart and am having Indy Unlimited (maker of the new spring cups) do the labor of installing the spring cups and rivet it back together.

After 4K miles I had just a few washers getting thin but figured preventative maintenance now would be better than pulling it down in the middle of summer.

Will post photos of the finished product when Indy returns it.
  18. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

UPDATE

So Indy finished up my clutch spring cup overhaul and here are some photos (sorry about camera phone quality).

With only close to 4000 miles on my TE630 some of the spring cups were getting severely thin.

I also noticed groves/wear on the spring retainer tabs which is shown in the 3rd photo. Oddly this was only apparent on some of the retainer tabs, not sure why?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    motranqui and jtemple like this.
  19. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG] [IMG] here's mine finished. They're pretty easy to mush.
  20. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

You really have to make sure the base is seated proper when working the other end, but other than that its easy. I used a burns-o-matic to heat them in place. It was a 2 man job, but pretty easy.