Help! Debris found in my engine - 610/630 clutch issues

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rough Rider, Feb 9, 2011.

1. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    There is the same 'weakness' there always was. It can take 6-10K miles or even further before the spring washers get so thin they come apart. Even then there's a screen to catch them, at least that was the hope.
    SWM, if aware of the issue, chooses to ignore it - same as BMW, KTM, and Husqvarna did. ;)
  2. sanvara Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Engine 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Xt 1200 supertnere, xr650r
    The info I got from my AJP dealer is that what SWM has changed is the springs which were the cause of wearing the washers. It seems the problem has been solved, but I just have 5 k km so lets see other users with higher milles
  3. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    I installed the Superdual clutch hub in my TE630 3.000 km ago. I hope you are right... :busted:
  4. diter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Anyone have a source for the upgraded cup washers? I'm about to dig into my 07 TE610 and wanted to change them out along with new clutch springs.

Thanks!
  5. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I had not heard this was an issue with the 610. I thought it was a different clutch basket. [shrug]
  6. blueknob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 harley davidson superglide
    no, it's the same issue for the 610, mine were shot a 3000 miles
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Up-thread there were several potential sources - a custom shop, and somebody in south africa that had made a few sets. I would say chase those down first.
  8. kuzmich Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Xr250Baja
    It is very good news for me to have spare parts for your TE630, especially at half their cost.)))):)
  9. edcsd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm 610ie 2008
    Hey guys,
    got the same problem off course. Mine is a SM610ie 2007 assembled in Brazil. Yes we got some 510s and 610s assembled in Brazil along 2007 and 2008. Well the reason I am writing to you is to share the solution I made for my clutch basket. It was really hard to engage gears or neutral when stopped so I decided to open my clutch case. I was imaging that the basket was worn and clutch disc were not moving well. I was wight! Unfortunately I found more. All the spring washers were broken inside. Than I decided to go deep for a new solution. Changing for a new set was not a solution for me. In the pictures you may find and see what I did. It running well mainly for me that ride on road and soft trail! I have a 15:38 ration on my bike! very long. I do not recommend.
  10. edcsd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm 610ie 2008
    Here the pictures of the solution....

Attached Files:

11. edcsd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm 610ie 2008
    Now the big modification... adding thread holes on cast! Basically I threaded the cast with M8 tap head bolts and removed all the springs and sheet plate. I designed a new flat sheet metal and 3 special 6 mm fillers so the gap from moving parts is gone. Bike will be a bit rough in low engine speed.

Attached Files:

XLEnduroMan likes this.
  12. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Hi edcsd.

So now you don't have any dampening anymore, which means that the transmission is more stressed. Other motorcycles are directly designed without any dampening, for instance my YZ250 doesn't have those springs, but it doesn't have all that engine brake either and it's used on the dirt, where the lack of grip itself is a dampener. Our SM 610 have a lot of engine brake and they are used on asphalt. Someone also designed specific dampened sprockets:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/kush-sprockets.15296/
    , which are discontinued now, though.

If you have decided to go that route, I guess you have thought about it carefully.
    I just thought it was worth commenting about the risks, especially for possible new inexperienced users who could think that a solution like yours won't have disadvantages.

Well, time will tell; I would be very smooth when shifting gears now, especially when downshifting, and if you still have the OEM exhaust and the jerky power delivery at low rpms, I'd go easy with the throttle in that range of rpms.
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I agree with Theo- this presents a whole new set of concerns, many/most of which can be quite costly. There are solid reasons bikes like ours have a cush system (be it in the clutch or the rear wheel hub.)
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Yeah, on road you'll knacker your transmission gears in no time. Offroad it's probly fine. It's best just to do the spring-cup washer update, and re-rivet the basket back together. It's just not that hard, and extends the life of the clutch basket to the life of the motor. The disk is also very durable unless you slip it a lot climbing, which you really should need to do with this bike - it's a bloody tractor. :)
  15. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Caution: SWM replied "SWM components and spare part are fine for the SWM Motorcycles models".
    IN fact, the "assieme ingranaggio condotto .. gear driven assy" (cush basket, article number 8000H2945) is nos exactly the same deep measurement than the one from TE630. That is, there is about 1-2 mm difference and so the gears are not 100% one in front of the other. May be it is not important... may be it is.

So far I has had not problems, but who knows about the future...
  16. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Anyone know a supplier for the infamous clutch washers. Just tore mine down and need replacement. If none available I will try to get some made at a machine shop.
  17. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

18. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Thanks. I sent a email to him earlier today. No response yet.
  19. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Spoke with Bertie, he is still doing them. Persevere.
    Babelfish and willie like this.
  20. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    I got my clutch mod bits with machined washers from 'Indy Unlimited' over on advrider, but that was back at the start of 2014, not sure whether or not he's still making these bits available?

I'm sure this was posted already, but here is the guide to the process, I don't recall it being particularly traumatic:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te610-outer-clutch-hub-spring-retainer-fix.25570/

On the cush drive bit, I still have a sprung clutch basket, but got a cush hub rear wheel made up by Woody's Wheel Works, so if you are in need of something, you can talk to them. Even at the time it wasn't straight forward trying to source a cush hub for the 630 though.