head shake solutions

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Sep 3, 2015.

1. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Mine shakes on its own. I backed off all preload on my rear shock to see if that would help. I rode the bike today and it was not a pleasant ride into work. Up until about 60-65 mph, it is okay. Beyond that is scary. A guy on Versys flew by me on the HOV lane and it was frustrating that I couldn't keep up. His bike was sailing along with no drama whatsoever.
  2. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Update:. I just completely removed all headshake from my bike. I removed the Screen for Bikes windscreen . Something about the TKC80 tires and that windscreen made my bike downright scary at 70+ mph.
  3. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    I've got the GPR stabilizer, Touratech handguards with extensions, Heidenau K60 Scout tires, Screen for Bikes windscreen AND OEM windscreen. With either windscreen and the stabilizer at 1 (which is pretty much disabled) I can easily reach 125kph and the bike is stable (just a little bit of shaking when hitting bumps), I reached 160kph with the stabilizer at 6 (which is my usual setting for long highway rides) and everything was even more stable.

It used to be more scary, until I went on a long roadtrip a couple of weeks ago. The difference? I checked my tire pressure and the front tire was at 20psi, I bumped front an rear to 33psi (as per the manufacturer recommandation on the frame) and everything is perfect now.

I'm 5'9'', 160 lbs, that's on a Strada
  4. cmcmullin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra 650
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
  6. AdrRak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
    I experienced the head shake at freeway speeds when riding the new bike home from the dealer. You know what my solution was? RELEASE THE DEATH GRIP ON THE HANDLEBARS. Use the sportbike riding technique of clutching the bike with your core, legs and lower body, leaving your shoulders and arms loose on the bars and controls. No more headshake!

I had my buddy ride my Husky from his house to the start of our canyon ride, and I could see my Strada weaving while I followed on his bike. We pulled over and he cursed how unnerving my bike was. I told him to relax on the bars and guess what, we get back on the freeway and no more head shake!
    dolphinhq likes this.
  7. blacki Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Daytona 955i, Honda Valkyrie
    Absolutely. Adjusting the mirrors can make a difference to the weaving!
    As I've said, I had complete success with the GPR, set to 5.5. I did not need heavier oil. Set to 6, the bike is hard to ride around town, when you don't need the damping.
    I was on a trip with my friends on various road bikes, and noticed the weave returning at 130km/h on the Imlay Road. Very entertaining for the rider following me! When I stopped to check, I found that the 2 screws, attaching the vertical "yoke" connecting the damper to the clamp on the steering head, were loose. The tiny undamped movement this allowed brought the weave back. You could not feel it at the bars, you had to look closely to see the movement. At home, I removed the clamp, used longer screws, with Loctite, and added Nyloc nuts. All good. I don't remember checking the tightness of those screws when I installed the GPR originally, since the clamp and yoke came as one assembly.
    IanB
  8. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the stock mirrors have a bit to do with accentuating the weave as probably windsceens and handguards do. But now from my experience it's all about the head bearings, either a loose steering head nut and/or worn bearings. Wacky mis-matched or worn tires doesn't help either.
    At any rate, I'll be switching to Doubletake mirrors for good.
    I sold mine with my KTM and have the stockers back on. Actually great mirrors, but I like the lower 'takes best.

[IMG]
  9. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    For me, aerodynamics have nothing to do with the problem. Yesterday during a 20 mph wind it didn't matter which direction I was riding. Wobble started at 75mph into the wind, with the wind, or across.
  10. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    My Strada never had a wobble issue until I changed windshields. Now it starts the weave at about 70 mph. The windshield is quite flat so the center of pressure is moving from side to side at speed -- Just like getting behind a tanker truck. YMMV
  11. pedrinSD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1199 Panigale
    lift the front or lower the rear, will solve the problem
    dolphinhq likes this.
  12. blacki Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Daytona 955i, Honda Valkyrie
    I have been completely happy with the GPR set at 5.5 for a few months now. Today I installed a Kouba link to lower my Strada by 1". I also lowered the front end by raising the fork legs in the yokes back to the 3rd line, the way they came from the factory. Result: no weaving at any speed up to 160km/h, with the GPR set at zero damping. The Kouba link looks like a good fix for the weave, or at least the first thing to try, since it is MUCH cheaper than a GPR. With both the Kouba link and GPR set to 5 the bike is unconditionally stable. The Kouba is 105mm between hole centres, 5mm longer than the stock link. No problems using the side stand with the lowered bike.
    With the link removed, it was easy to chock up the rear wheel to get the chain at its tightest point. Chain had about 20mm movement, just right. This confirms that with the bike on the side stand with the rear suspension topped out, 55mm chain slack measured at the front chain guard mount screw is the correct setting, not 45mm as the manual says.
    kiwiape, Mark_H and sussurf like this.
  13. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Hey guys, I reluctantly sold my Terra to a buddy a few months ago and he's experiencing a bit of head shake. We're currently trying to diagnose it but I suspect we didn't get the fork height correct when we replaced the steering head bearings a few months back.

Can anyone measure how much of the fork is exposed above the top of the triple clamp and let me know?
  14. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    top of fork stanchions should be flush with top of triple clamp for maximum stability.
    Newfoundlander and turtlemoye like this.
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    double check bearings havent taken a set and need readjusted. this always has a huge effect on handling and headshake..
    turtlemoye likes this.
  16. A.Kazacos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speed Four
    Anyone that runs with the GPR v4 stabilizer, Can I buy any GPR v4 and mount it on my Strada? Or should I buy the specific one? The difference in price is huge...
  17. cmcmullin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra 650

You have to buy the specified one. The mounting bracket/hardware is bike specific. Thanks.
    A.Kazacos likes this.
  18. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I have to point out that by removing the windscreen, replacing the fork oil on the front absorbers with 7.5w, and hardening the breaking on the rear absorber, my bike (Strada) does not experience high speed instability anymore (at least up to 170 km/h). Keep in mind that I'm tall (1.97m) and heavy (100kg).
    HV71 and A.Kazacos like this.
  19. A.Kazacos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speed Four
    Thanks for the answer
  20. jetsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Honda cb500f

I have experienced the instability on hard acceleration above 65mph but I'm pretty sure there is always side wind and turbulent air from other traffic involved.

Never the less I just recently changed my tires to Mitas E 07 and man...what a difference...I got 5000miles out of stock tires and at the end they were very loud and I think causing instability at speed (the front tire). Mitas E07 are smooth and quiet in comparison and Just rode speeds over 80 mph passing big rig Trucks and none of the aforementioned instability was experienced...fingers crossed ....
    sussurf likes this.