head shake solutions

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Sep 3, 2015.

1. blacki Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Daytona 955i, Honda Valkyrie
    I bought a Strada with 8000km in September 2015 without doing a whole lot of research, then learned about the air box issue (fixed now). I loved the engine, then discovered the weave at 120km/h. I would not have bought the bike knowing this. It's my 18th bike, and I had never experienced this before. On one occasion I was passing a B-double when the weave set in and I had to back off. I checked front wheel bearings, steering head, swingarm and rear wheel bearings, all good. I dropped the forks the last 10mm in the clamps, which raised the threshold of the weave to 130km/h. Reading all the forums about adding bark busters bringing the weave on, moving around on the bike, panniers, bar-end weights, tyres etc, I decided that the bike is fundamentally unstable and changing almost anything would modify this behaviour. In my case, adding a Madstad screen (highly recommended) didn't change the weaving at all. If I wobble the bars slightly at 100km/h, it takes 2 or 3 oscillations to die away.
    I have a Triumph Daytona 955i with 22.8 degree rake, 81mm trail. It has never shown instability under any conditions. If I try to make the steering wobble, it's completely dead. I believe this is because the Daytona has an immensely strong and rigid frame, and 45mm forks. I reckon the Strada weaves because the frame is not sufficiently rigid in torsion. Since there is no easy way to fix that, the only solution is to damp out the oscillation, or sell the bike.
    $872 later, I installed the GPR Stabiliser and settled on adjustment 5.5 of 8. Now the bike is completely stable at any speed I've tried, up to 160km/h indicated. I'm surprised that there is no weave at all with the damper. When the bike is weaving, the steering movement is almost imperceptible (because, I think, the frame is twisting too). I thought there might not be enough movement for the damper to work on, especially if there was any free movement before the damping action began, but it works perfectly.
    The GPR has transformed my riding experience on this bike. I highly recommend it as the first farkle you should install, after you take the bike out and experience the weaving.
    blacki
    magpie and DeLewis like this.
  2. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III
    I had the weaving problem with the stock Enduro 3 tires too but once I changed to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 the bike is extremely stable at any speed on-road. I wanted to get the GPR stabilizer too but after I changed the tires I don't see the need anymore in my case.
  3. cmcmullin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra 650
    I have tried EVERYTHING with my Terra. EVERYTHING! I run Touratech hand guards with 17" wheels/tires front and back. I switch between them and the stock dirt setup. I even bought the GPR stabilizer from ktm-parts.com and still experienced the problem, though to a lesser degree, between 70 and 80 MPH on the highest setting. Ultimately I called GPR and they recommended replacing the stabilizer oil with 10 weight oil (heavier weight than what GPR utilizes stock). Because the Terra GOR is really set up for dirt it doesn't really dampen to the degree necessary for street even with 8 different settings. That FINALLY provided me the ability to adjust out all head shake at any speed. On the highest setting of 8 now turning the handlebar is very slow. Definitely have to be careful and use the higher settings on the FWY only. Let me know if you have questions. The GPR is expensive but is the only way to eliminate all head shake, and it even requires tweaking. Thanks.
    Eric Hamel likes this.
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I repeat, I only ever had problems with new front tyres. After being scrubbed in, the wobble goes away. I'm even running a D606 on the front now and had it rock solid up indicated 135 km/h
    Mark_H and rride like this.
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    I am of the opinion the TR650 does not need a Steering Damper to solve the Headshake or Wobble issue. It is all down to tyres, pressures and suspension settings.

To say that the GPR Damper is the only way is incorrect.

Here is a short video of my Strada up to 160 kmph on a relatively crap road surface and it is rock solid with no steering damper.
    This is with passenger and luggage (topbox) loaded too !

rride likes this.
  6. rride Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650, someday
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650 Strada, Kawasaki Versys 650

I'm with you, for the street anyway. Good tires with 1) clean inner wheel 2) bubble (race) balance 3) beads on top for top end precision balance. Heavier fork oil if needed (at least 10w or 12w for my big self.) And finally repack head bearings (BMW was skimpy from the factory, and dealers were allowed to repack new bikes free of charge!
    --> Hint, you need it too probably)

It worked for my 97 BMW F650ST Strada good to a century mark, as well as my Versys 650. The USD forks don't need stabilizers for on-road (all I ride) imo.

[IMG]
  7. Jesper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VT250 Spada
    Any tips for suspension setting?
  8. magpie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha

Hi Blacki,I backed off the rear preload to second softest setting and dropped the front forks so theres only 1mm of the black tube showing through the top clamp. now it starts to shake about 105kmh and is a bit more stable but still not good. I agree that this bike seems to have some in built issues. On mine it feels like the rear link bushings are loose/toosoft/have too much play, and it feels the rear wheel starts squirming and possibly causes the headshake to start. On hard packed white gravel roads, any ruts make it squirm. Love the engine and comfort of the bike but im very disappointed in the suspension and stability of the bike. Ive ordered a GPR stabilizer to heres hoping it does the trick. If it settles it down, the front and rear suspension will be the weak links. I like to ride through the Nat Parks around Bordertown - sand & clay tracks and am afraid im going to break the front end as it certainly goes "crack" when the forks bottom out. Also need to do something abut the rear tire scuffing the rear plastics when bottoming out. Trouble is im torn between spending too much on this bike or placing an order for a new 701.
  9. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

My settings are currently at about 50% on the pre-load (which is a pig to adjust) and 10 clicks open on the damping.
    These settings seem to work pretty well for all bike loadings, even when we are two with luggage as in the video.
    It really does depend on your own personal preferences and where you ride the bike, road surface has a very big effect.
    I have spoken with many guys who have experienced the wobble at 120 kmph plus and advised them to increase rear tyre pressures to at least 34 with 30-32 on the front - this appears to have a very positive effect on the wobbles without even touching the suspension settings.
    HV71 likes this.
  10. magpie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha
    Higher pressures might be fine on a strada on the Tarmac but on the dirt, traction is terrible above 25psi. Btw I spent a couple hours adjusting both front and rear pressures in 5 psi increments between 15 psi to 35 psi with very little noticeable difference in head shake above 100kmh. I've settled on 22psi rear and 25 psi front. Dunlop rally raid rear and Dunlop 606 front.
  11. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    yes inflated tires work to reduce any head shake. 36 rear 28 front has positive results. With anything less and poor road conditions, bark busters, and wind conditions it results in severe head shake.
    PaulC likes this.
  12. blacki Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Daytona 955i, Honda Valkyrie
    Mark_H, your Strada is rock solid at 160km/h with no steering damper BECAUSE you have a passenger and luggage (topbox) loaded too ! ;)
    It looks as if many people have not experienced the weave, or have been able to avoid it by changing front tyres or tyre pressures. My Strada handles great with the original front Tourance (pressures at 31/35), but at 14000km it needs replacing soon. I'll probably fit a TKC70 to match my new rear tyre. When I do, I'll wind back the GPR setting to see if the TKC70 front helps the weave, then I'll put it right back to 5.5 and enjoy the stability. The bike feels better with the GPR under almost any conditions including windy mountain roads, fast sweepers, up to 160km/h on straights, and rutted dirt roads.
    blacki
  13. Jesper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VT250 Spada
    Thanks. And yes, that preload adjustment is difficult to get at.
  14. cmcmullin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra 650

Agreed! The additional weight of a passenger and luggage adds to the stability. As stated I have tried everything mentioned in this post and then some... The GPR is the only thing that has worked at all speeds, particularly upper highway speeds. Thanks.
  15. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wrong ! (Ask me how I know)

Even more wrong !

My Strada is rock solid up to 160 kmph in any load conditions, ie no passenger, no luggage or any combination up to fully loaded.
    I know 5 other Strada owners here who have experienced the weave at 120 kmph up and following adjustment of tyre pressures and rear suspension, they have all had positive results - not one of them has had to resort to fitting a Steering Damper.

As in all cases YMMV.
  16. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I wanted to chime in as well.
    This spring I trued the front wheel and balanced it myself. This combined with the MadStad windshield has eliminated all head shake/wobble. Tires are were set at factory recommended psi and I had the bike cruising at 75mph (frequently 85+ when passing) for over 1000 miles with no issue.
    Mark_H likes this.
  17. Eric Hamel Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
  18. Eric Hamel Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
  19. Eric Hamel Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    just read your post...i bought a strada with 5000km on it, changed the tyres for anakee wild,put on a high fender ...love the bike exept over 100 km ...wobbles like hell.very uncomfortable riding....decided to follow your advice and ordered a gpr v4d...hope it helps
  20. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

If you have spoke wheels consider truing the wheel. Mad e world of difference on my bike. You might also buy a windshield :) All the best.