Gearing Recommendations for 630 SMS

Discussion in '610/630' started by rocko, Jul 18, 2011.

1. larry belli Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Triumph Street Triple & HD XL883
    Rims, tires and front brake upgrade on the TE, or would it be cheaper to change gears in the tranny and get the TE ECU for the SM?
  2. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

If you were changing the gears yourself, you MIGHT save some money, but that's only if the gears are affordable. I'm sure it would cost thousands to have it done by a dealer. It would also be a LOT faster to swap the wheels.
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Not if you want to use standard supermoto wheels or fullsized front brakes
  4. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Getting the SM and just putting in a TE ECU will be your cheapest + simplest route to get the same results.
  5. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

I personally would like the taller gearing in the TE, since I'm in California and we have fast freeways.
  6. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    I totally get you on the gear ratio thing and if taller gearing is a deal breaker then I would first find out the exact cost and issues involved in swapping out the gear ratios before making any decisions

IF converting the SM to taller gearing is feasible then:
    SM Option a = cost of TE ECU + cost of changing 5th and 6th gears to TE ratios
    TE Option b = cost of 2 new SM wheels and tyres + cost of big front brembos + possible cost of new forks ( leg travel is different and fork angle could also be different) + possible cost of rear suspension mods ( the wheel travel is 1.2" different)

To get a proper conversion to SM, you will need to weigh the costs of option a vs option b and the hassle factor involved.
    Dunno what would be involved in changing out the 5th and 6th gear ratios, but personally I would be inclined to purchase the SM do the TE ECU straight off and then do the gear ratios whenever you want, time and money permitting.

I know some guys convert from TE to SM by just doing the smaller wheels - cost effective but not proper, if you know I mean.
  7. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    Man I really have to ride on one of these TEs! Is it really that much more beast to warrant spending that much money?
  8. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    No, it is not better by a degree of beast or even wow.
    The difference is definitely noticeable but it is not "WOW", the low to mid range riding is just more pleasant and stronger.
    The TE ECU (note the reference to the ECU and not the bike because the difference is in the ECU) is just nicer and smoother.

If you rode both bikes, you would say "I'd rather be riding the TE. Then swap the ECU's between the two bikes and then you would say " Id rather be riding the SM (because it now has the TE ECU swapped in)

Where i stay the cost of the TE ECU constitutes 5.3% of what I originally paid for the bike.
    A lot of riders spend money on nicer looking wheels, carbon fibre parts and exhausts etc. So looked at as a farkle, the TE ECU is a great farkle that you will feel all the time you cruise around - good bang for buck.

The TE ECU is a very nice to have on the SM if you have the money to spend, not a must have if you do not have the spare change - if money is not a problem for you then buy the TE ECU .

Again as my TE is still very new i have not done any WideOpenThrottle comparisons.

Hope this clarifies things a bit
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

so you just need to buy the TE ecu off of someone that removed it and installed the Arrows along with the new supplied ecu.

When I get some time I'm going to do a direct comparison to my USA SM630 and TE630. I just need to get some miles on the SM before that happens and with three bikes.. it takes time.
  10. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Easy as unclipping the SM ECU and clipping in the TE ECU.

Try four bikes and a busy work schedule.

Please post your comparison results, I'd be MOST interested.
  11. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

yes I know what you mean.. I've got a Yamaha GP1300R jetski and a two seat track car plus road and mountain bikes... then there is work too .. Just a big box of toys to take turns riding
  12. Wingnut037 Husqvarna

Anyone gotten a quote on the swap. My recent move added about 20 minutes of interstate riding which requires me to travel at 80+ to remain safe. After 10 I am ready to jump off the bike and walk. Seriously considering just trading in for a TE or another bike all together. Aside from the SMS 5th and 6th gearing and gauge lag, I love the bike.
  13. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Why dont you phone the Dealer you bought your SM from and ask him how much
    and then you can post the quote on this thread :)
  14. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

The stock gearing, 15/38, should be comfortable up to 80mph, No?
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    It can start to get a little buzzy, as in your inner thighs start to tingle a bit. Short stints are fine, but 20-30min can get old...
  16. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    My TE is geared 14/45 and turns 5800rpm @ 80 mph in 6th. This is about the same as an SM in 6th. Bike is quite comfortable up to about 5000rpm @ 70 mph but is buzzy after that. 5000 rpm seems to be the upper comfort limit for this engine! Stock TE gearing of 15/42 allows the same 5000 rpm @ 80 mph.
  17. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    I don't know how to clutch it up yet, but tonight I tried to do a wheelie before my tires were heated by just using throttle in first...it would just go up a couple inches and the back wheel would spin....so I know it's got some torque! :D I thought my clutch was slipping but my buddy confirmed it was back wheel spin :doh:
  18. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    My SMS with the opened pipes and JD tuner will power all the way up in 1st, and clutch up easily in 2nd, sometimes 3rd if you give it a bounce...
  19. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes clutch ups in 2nd are super easy. But 3rd... :(
  20. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

MY TE with full Leo and JD power surge does 2nd gear wheelies without any clutch.. just twist the throttle and it comes right up on the pavement. 3rd requires a pull but no clutch up.. Also I have the factory gearing unchanged.