Gearing Recommendations for 630 SMS

Discussion in '610/630' started by rocko, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

So, just to clarify, the SM ECU + JD Tuner, does NOT produce the same performance as the TE ECU? To get the max from a modified bike, we need the TE ECU AND a JD Tuner?
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Sounds that way, I will be trying all SMS/TE/JD combinations next weekend on my SMS(something came up this weekend)
  3. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Arrow ECU would be even better I think :D
  4. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

But then I have to use the heavy factory dual exhaust :cool: I get to put the Leo pipe on where I live :banana:
  5. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    My TE only has 3 hours and 70 km on the clock - still breaking it in, so I cannot make any WideOpenThtrottle comparisons

From a casual, easy riding point of view, the TE is smoother on - off throttle and has better off - on throttle pickup and cruises stronger.
    But make no mistake, the SM with SM ECU + PU + JD Tuner produces storming acceleration that I am very very chuffed with.

Again, this is just my experience on my bikes in my environment.
    Other members in different parts of the world may have diferent experiences.
    Any takes out there ?
  6. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

Please update. I may seriously consider "experiencing a short in my SMS ECU" and requesting the dealer order a TE ECU. Make Husky do what they should have done in the first place.
  7. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
  8. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just opened my airbox.. what a difference :eek: 2nd gear wheelies are sooooo easy now. But that's also how it should be on a 600cc bike :D
  9. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    With or without clutch?

You have stock pipes, power up, 15/44, and JD power surge, right? Can you post a pictures of the new holes in your airbox?
  10. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Same here.

That looks like a 3rd gear wheelie at 67KPH which equates to 42MPH. Is it just me or, does that seem completely impossible to other SM630 owners?
  11. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep mission impossible :excuseme:

@Rocko Clutch of course :D
  12. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Anyone here have access to a TE 630 with PU that they can compare their SM 630 to and see if 3rd gear wheelies at 67KPH ( which equates to 42MPH ) are possible ? :excuseme:

I would like Independant confirmation on the SM / TE difference,
    before I pull the trigger on a TE ECU for my SM,
    yes, the dealer will arrrange it for me.
  13. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wonder if it is possible to order the Arrow ECU. I mean if someone that already installed the Arrows on his 630 has a damaged ECU for some reason, the dealer should be able to order it too.

Also would it be possible to use a 610 ECU? Or would there be a problem since the 630 and 610 have a different top end? Anybody got an idea? :confused:
  14. larry belli Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Triumph Street Triple & HD XL883
    I haven't purchased my SM 630 yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow. It seems like everyone is clutching at straws and really doesn't have a definative answer to the question/problem of the acceleration/freeway cruising. Surely someone from Husqvrna or one of the tech's should have it down to a science and know exactly what to do.
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    It's not really that difficult...
    With stock gearing, 75mph will be ~5200 RPM and will make your butt tingle after a short while.
    Going smaller on the front sprocket will wear and stretch the chain more quickly than stock.
    Going larger on the rear sprocket or smaller on the front sprocket will increase your RPM's at any speed but give you more torque to the wheel.
    Going smaller on the rear sprocket or larger on the front sprocket will reduce your torque to the wheel, but give you a more comfortable cruising RPM for the highway.

With stock gearing, 60 is perfectly comfortable, the buzz starts around 68, 75 isn't terrible, but 80+ gets a little uncomfortable after any length of time. For many this isn't an issue, but we have some pretty fast interstates around here...

If I ever have transmission problems, I'm ordering a TE gear set to drop in, for the higher 5th and 6th ratios. I think the SMS should have had these ratios to begin with...
  16. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you want aggressive, dirt bike style, low end throttle response, ask your dealer if he'll swap-in an ECU from a TE630. (Assuming that you're buying new.) Ride the bike around the parking lot with each ECU to determine which one you like better. Otherwise, adding a JD Jetting 6x is a simple modification that can make the throttle respond more aggressively.

If you're just looking for a commuter bike, the SM630 is fine without any modifications other than the power-ups. If you're not going to ride over 70 MPH, add two or three teeth to the rear sprocket for a little more grunt at lower speeds....
  17. larry belli Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    RDTCU,
    I understand how the gearing works, but it's the combination...airbox, mapping, exhaust/un-corking. The whole works. It seems like it could go on forever. I've read posts where some like their 610 more.

I agree, the TE gear set is probably how it should have been.
  18. larry belli Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thx MrClean,
    I haven't ridden the bike yet. I will tomorrow.
  19. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    I have run a TE ECU in my SM and it made the SM run virtually the same as the TE, i.e. much nicer.
    Simply put the TE ECU is the ECU I want in my SM.

The TE and SM ECU's must be mapped differently in areas other than fuelling, eg Ignition timing.

While you are at the dealer you may want to enquire into what would be the effort and cost involved in replacing the SM 5th and 6th gears with TE ones......er ... before you do that though you may want to put your flame suit on...
  20. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

It really seems as though if you want the best bike, it is probably cheaper to get the TE and convert it to SM...