Fueling and/or Cooling Issue?

Discussion in '610/630' started by rocko, Sep 9, 2019.

1. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    Hello,

I tried to go on a long ride several months ago and my bike died abruptly while I was riding after traveling about 40 miles. I tried to restart it but couldn't. I waited for two hours for a tow truck to arrive. I tried to start the bike just for fun when the tow truck arrived and it started right up. Since then, I have been on a couple short rides, maybe 5 miles each. The bike did not stall.

A few days ago I was riding for about 20 minutes. I heard the fan come on as I was riding. I stopped to rest. About 30 minutes later I tried to start the bike and it would not start. I did not hear the noise when I turn the key (the fuel pump firing up?) that you hear before you hit the start button. I went home and got my truck to carry the bike home and sure enough, I tried starting it before loading it up and it fired right up. I noticed what appeared to be crusty dried water wetter near the attachment points of the cooling system pipes (see photos). I checked the fluid in the radiator and it was low. I put in about 4 fluid ounces of water wetter to top it off.

Do you think my bike is overheating and a safety feature prevents the bike from starting when it is too hot? Is my fuel pump going out? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    from the photos it looks like you have too old a coolant. how many miles or months do you replace? for the problem of starting it seems to derive from a fuel pump that does not always work well
  3. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    The coolant is very old. Maybe 2 years old but my bike just mostly sits so maybe 300 miles on the coolant. I will change it.

So you think I should change the fuel pump? And also the fuel filters? And maybe clean out the tank?

Thank you, Rotax!
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Before you go spending money on parts chasing problems you should get your bike connected to ibeat, you either get the things you need & set it up yourself, or find someone local enough who has it set up & will be kind enough to help you. I found my coolant sensor was intermittently faulty by sitting next to my bike while it was running & connected to the laptop looking at ibeat, doubt i would have found it otherwise.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/the-ibeat-thread.44621/page-5
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/the-ibeat-thread.44621/page-6
  5. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Does the bike have a coolant temp sensor on the block like the 310? That was an issue. Should be cheap to replace. If the coolant is really old replace both.
  6. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    Thanks, I will try to find a local with ibeat.

7. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.