FMF vs Stock muffler - TE511

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by TomGlander, Apr 4, 2014.

1. TomGlander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 511

Good points, all of them. I especially like the reference to top fuel dragsters. Nitro burning, 10,000 horsepower monsters. And drag boats, too. Let's not forget about our precious waterways and the mean machines that disturb the aquatic life.

But I digress. Back to my Husky! Just got back from another ride. My impression of this bike just gets better with every ride. The super moto setup is amazing. Now the front wheel is coming off the ground. Now the back tire is burning out. Sliding sideways, then the rear hooks up and we're in a wheelie drift. This is living. The bike runs so perfect, so strong, it's like it has a life of its own.

I've ridden a lot of bikes over the last 41 years. The Hayabusas and ZX14 were fun, but not this fun. The Z10R was fun, but not this fun. The CR500, CRF450R, the YZ450, all of them were fun. But not this fun. Honestly, I haven't had the bike in the dirt yet, but if what's happening on the street is any indication of anything at all, that's going to be a great experience.

I've never ridden any bike that thrills me as much as this setup does. I don't know if it's the hybrid dirt bike street bike thing with the super moto setup, or if it's something else. But as long as I'm able, I'll be riding, and finding new respect for this machine. I may have to take her down to the dyno tomorrow and see how much oomph she's putting out. Yea, that's a good idea. Once I know, I'll let ya'll know.
    michiganguy likes this.
  2. motokraus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    Tinken, can you comment on what bigmo posted earlier concerning the two available inserts for the Powercore 4.

I also talked to a FMF tech, and obtained the same info that bigmo posted. I am not sure everyone has picked up on this.
    The two inserts available are.

PN 040288 1 3/8
    PN 040630 1 1/8 (greater sound reduction/possible power reduction as well) - Quote from FMF tech

I have read and talked to ZipTy about the positive effects of adding a insert to my PC4. My question is with the possible power reduction with the 1 1/8 tip? Is this insert just that much more restrictive?

Thanks for your comments
    jerbear610 and Cosmokenney like this.
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It's not that restrictive and the increased back pressure will help the bottom end while reducing the noise.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  4. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I really hate to go against the grain, but if you modify your 511 BOTH of the inserts will lose top end power. BOTTOM LINE. And it is significant.

I have a podfilter over the factory rubber elbow, no airbox, no second butterfly, power commander with auto tune and zip ty race map 3. I have tried all the inserts and it is instantly percievable. The bike rev's to the limiter hard and feels great, put the small insert in and its a TURD. Put the regular quiet insert in and its not as bad but you can tell it loses tons of over rev.

On the noise, my 511 is the loudest of all the bikes that I ride with, the closest is a 500 exc with fmf also.

First bike I have felt I need to ride with earplugs. Someday when I get extra $$ I will put it on the dyno and document the actual drop in horsepower. For supermoto having an extra 2hp on over rev vs 2hp on the bottom is huge and the higher top end power always wins as you can pull gears longer.

I HATE! how loud this bike is. It is ridiculous. Unfortunately I do not have the money for any other pipes or goodies at this time. I just try to keep it mellow most of the time.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    If you had a dirt bike and not SM, then the bottom end would be more significant to you.
    Also, I am working on a new design that quiets exhaust better, yet evacuates like a resonator. Not sure when I will have a working prototype, pretty busy atm.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    FMF mega bomb right off Tys bike, ZipTy map 3, JD tuner, BF removed = warp speed. Thing is a rocket. (thanks Tinken)

[IMG]
  7. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    I have always put aftermarket exhausts on not only my bikes but my vehicles as well. It's a personal choice, I know it's insanely loud but that's what I like. The day I put the quiet core in my 4.1 and took it around the block it felt worse than stock. I pulled that out immediately and never ran it again. I agree with Huskylove as far as this being the loudest bike I ride with. I understand the frustration with loud pipes but you know what they say, loud pipes save lives.
    [IMG]
    TemecuCoastie likes this.
  8. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Well, everything FMF is back-ordered everywhere. So I won't be trying the 1-1/8" insert anytime soon. I think I'm just going to do this:
    View: http://youtu.be/jx8XXaLxt4Q
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Loud does not equal hp, but I know that not everyone can afford Akropovic. Dynamometers don't lie and I have seen the increases in hp from inserts.
  10. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    FMF told me the insert would be available in March sometime. I already have the 1-3/8" insert and it's too loud for me. I am going to be buying the 1-1/8" insert now that I know they exist. I could care less if I loose some top end. I only ride road to get to the trails. And on the trails the extra bottom end from the new insert will be a bonus for me. I'm glad I found this thread, because at least i know there's hope of keeping the FMF.
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I wish I had more time to develop my insert. It's a resonator built into an insert and evacuates exhaust.
  12. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

You may laugh but back in 19- oh-sh** I used to put a piece of inner tube over the tip of the stinger held by a hose clamp on my 1969 CZ 250MX'er so I could sneak out of town to hit the trails. Worked like champ. ( chambers back then had no silencer )
    bigjon likes this.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    A lot of people did that with a rubber flap. The new exhausts have electronic cut-outs, some even remote control.

14. NIKEFIR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510 (2008)
    Hi guys!
    Where can I buy a heat shield as in the photo?
    I want to buy FMF Powercore 4 and want to install heat shield as in the photo.
    [IMG]
  15. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    I have that heat shield available. Not entirely sure how much it' worth though.
  16. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Which shield? The aluminum one right next to the can? That comes with the FMF if you buy new.
    Tinken likes this.
  17. motokraus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    Tinken, have you made any progress on the exhaust you spoke of back in February? Resonator built into a insert?

Sorry if I missed something on your page on in another thread....had to do an unexpected double move back in March and just got the bike out of storage.

Thanks!
  18. motokraus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    Tinken, have you made any progress on the exhaust you spoke of back in February? Resonator built into a insert?
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    No, there isn't a great enough need to warrant a run of exhausts, sorry.
  20. motokraus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    Copy thanks for reply.