1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

FMF and PCV install - bike dying on throttle

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Vustadumas, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Pics of the wiring of the PC V. I have checked this so many times I think I could install it with my eyes closed. The connection that I'm unsure of, is the crank wires. I have to get a lower voltage meter to read off the wires.

IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1345.JPG
  2. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Rest of the pictures of the wiring. I did unhook the TPS connection, and put it back to stock. Started the bike, but still sputters and dies. Starting to feel as if another weekend without my bike :/

IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1351.JPG
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You removed the entire FBW secondary butterfly motor? Has the butterfly been removed too?
  4. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    I popped it off for easier access to the harness and plugs, and reinstall before I start it back up. Butterfly is still intact, no mods to it. I do have voltage from the PCV from the TPS in the software.
  5. Husq-a-daygo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    15' TE300, 16'FE450
    I didnt see pics of the FI in line connection. If this is not connected the dash will read fail.
  6. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Okay, now that you popped of the secondary motor you are probably out of adjustment. So either get out the voltmeter and re-calibrate the secondary, or pull the secondary butterfly so that it cannot effect the EFI. The ECU actuates those independently. So if the secondary is not calibrated correctly it could be choking-out the primary.

^ EDITED
  7. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    So, I think I *might* have found my problem. I pulled the cover off the FBW, to see what was going on. The motor on the other side isn't turning the shaft to the butterfly. Not exactly sure WTH happened, but I'm going to try and get it adjust back correctly. You can see it in this video...

8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like your best bet.
  9. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    As a test pull the secondary butterfly. With that out, it doesn't matter if the motor isn't opening it. If your problem with the sputter off-idle goes away, at least you have narrowed it down. I vaguely recall reading that the motors are very fragile. Something to the effect of simply turning them when powered off can break them.
    Tinken likes this.
  10. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Yeah, I got it to break loose. Was just barely stuck, so didn't take much. Still got same problem, sputter and die. I'll try pulling the secondary cable and see if it makes any difference.

So using this diagram of the Throttle Body, the arrows are where I have the PC V tied into. Both connections are in-line, and seem to be functioning, as I'm getting engine info back to my laptop.

#4 in the diagram isn't anything I hook to, correct? The PC instructions from the site definitely do not show that being used.

throttleBodyDiagram.jpg
  11. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Pulled the secondary wire, had no affect. Decided to pull and disassemble the TPS motor. Started the bike with it off, to see if the gear spun on throttle. It moved a bit, but very labored. So I think I might have burned out the motor in it, BUT, with the shaft through the throttle body turned open, the bike runs absolutely perfect. So I decided, as a test, to pull the plastic gear from the TPS and leave the shaft turned open. I reinstalled the TPS and hooked all the wiring back up. Bike revs like a champ.

So before I head out and ride this thing, I'd like some confirmation that I'm not going to completely jack my bike beyond repair by having this removed. I have a very general understanding of the secondary butterfly removal, but what does that entail, that this does not get me? So please, let me know if this is a horrible idea. I really want to get out and ride this weekend, and this feels like my last hope to make that happen.

Thanks!

IMG_1361.JPG
  12. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Do you have the shaft turned open on for the Secondary butterfly? I.e. #6 in the diagram? If so, I'd hate to see that thing vibrate closed in the middle of a WFO run. Would be better to remove the secondary butterfly valve.

See this thread: 2011 TE449 Running well with factory EFI system - finally
    It's a super simple modification. Pop the airbox boot off. Remove the two screws that hold the butterfly valve on the shaft. Pull out the valve. Button it back up. Done.
    Khaaf162 likes this.
  13. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Yeah, talked with Tinken about it. Said it's fine, no harm to the bike. He just said the bike will "snatchy". Well, that is exactly what it is, lol. Holy hell I have a rocket now. I'm amazed at the difference. I would like to get a bit of that smooth power delivery back. Would the butterfly mod help with that? I'm planning on just ordering a new secondary butterfly motor, and replacing it. I'm not sure why, but when I look at that thread for the mod, it looks difficult to perform. Maybe it's just the way it's explained, but yeah, I've never exactly been clear on what to do.

The PC V is working just fine as well. Man, what a difference.

And you are totally right about the butterfly vibrating shut on a run. It could, and probably will happen, hah. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Greatly appreciated!
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Yes, moving that solenoid will break it, I did it to mine. I wouldn't waste your money on a secondary motor. I would remove that shaft all together and braze up the holes, or buy a TC throttle body which is what I did. With the TC throttle body, you get a hot start button. I need to make up some end shunts, just haven't had time as of yet. We can tune out some of that throttle snatch with the pcv.

I spent the better part of a day with Huskynoobee on Thursday setting up his powercommander. If you think your bike is running lean or fat in low-medium-high areas, there is a field adjustment that allows you to do a broad adjustment quickly and easily much like a JD tuner.
  15. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I guess safety wire that shaft?? I think the secondary butterfly will smooth it out a little, but leaving it in causes more problems than it's worth. Look up dangermouse's threads on the subject. Especially look at the thread with the video that shows how lame the ECU is at moving the secondary butterfly with relation to the main throttle.
  16. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Decided to bail on the ride I had planned. Lots of narrow mountain passes, and I just can't have something go wrong. Going to try one last time to get the secondary butterfly straightened out. If I can't, then I will remove it, as you guys all suggest.
  17. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Well then. Did the butterfly removal mod. WOW! I have an incredible machine now! Went to my local riding area to test her out, and holy shit, it's undoubtedly a new bike. The smoother throttle response is back, the bike never once stalled, even when I let it bump along trying to make it stall. The FAIL on the dash is gone. The bike is 100 times over the bike I wanted. I can't express how happy I am to have this thing running the way I expected it to run. Thanks so much for all the guidance and putting up with my Noob questions :) You guys kick ass! Thank you!
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Glad you got it sorted. I did 180 some miles today and it is a huge improvement! Everything from goat trails to nasty rocks and wrapped around roads. Awesome...
  19. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    I just got back from a full days ride! So nice to be back out there. Bike was flawless, well mostly. I did have one time it took some cranking to start her back up after a pretty burly hill climb, but other than that, flawless! Continually amazed at how well the bike runs now. I swear, I can't stall it anymore. I'm more or less at a stand still in 1st, and it just will not die! I love it! Let my buddy take her for a spin (he's ridden it before, bone stock) and came back in love :) He rides a new FE350S. Said my bike has too much power for him, hehe. He did suggest I could use a bit more ease in on the initial power, as the throttle picks up, even at the slightest turn. I think I'm used to it already though, so I'll keep it the way it is. Good times are here again!
    Tinken likes this.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I had two customers from OC bring their bikes by the shop this week to get pcv's, but Ty talked them out of it claiming map 3 was just as good. I'm still wondering what was going on there... What do you guys think?