And Windex!
    shawbagga likes this.
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Soapy water or Windex are best as they evaporate. WD40 and other similar products work well, however have been known to help induce the tyre (yes correct spelling) to slip on the rim
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Be careful in areas where logging is going on we had a chain saw file go right thru both walls of the tire. We drove 300 miles for this ride and I didn't think to bring a spare tube or a patch kit. We ended the ride early.
  4. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Currently running Bridgestone's X30 both ends. Works and definitely like the stiffer sidewalls for racing and warding off pinch flats.

Checking if spokes are protruding and 2+ layers of a good duct tape are standard.

Tire mounting...after all the money we spend don't cheap out on mounting lube options. Actually it's not that expensive when you consider the good times blown by flats! Find a tire mounting paste or lube, even the cheapest will be better than using alternative fluids.

I found a 1 gallon jug of Ru-glyde mounting lube, less than $15 and may be close to life-time-supply, depending on what you're doing. I pour a little into a small tray and use an old paintbrush to paint beads before setting. Slides into place nicely and conditions rubber to seat on rim. This is written from an off-road perspective, if you're on the street with alloy rims the chemicals in some soaps can pit or etch metal.

Search tire paste, tire mounting lube, etc. and ride on....
    NCSteve likes this.
  5. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    I now use cooking oil on a paint brush or PAM [cooking spray] from the kitchen-you can't eat it but killer for tires.
  6. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    -and have been trying a sliced open section of a bicycle tube as a heavier and wider rim band. Love my mousse tho'
  7. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I put it back together last time with an extra heavy tube, rode twice, and the tire moved on the rim again. So last night I pulled it back apart, opened up the hole for the stem to 9.5 mm, replaced the rim lock, and added a second rim tape. Race tomorrow, so we'll see how that works out.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I remove the black rubber band that covers the spoke thimbles and do two or three wraps with duct tape. Then I put baby powder on the tube and inside the tire. Assemble one side then add the tube and rim locks.
    The nut on the valve stem is finger tight.
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I always leave valve stem nut off rim dun up against cap so if tyre moves doesn't rip stem. Gives it a bit of play each way
  10. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    re inner tube lock rings. I've found at running low psi like 4 in a trials bike and marking the tyre and rim they don't move but it's the inner tube that walks inside the tyre.

So yes lock to valve cap is correct method in my opinion.
    Tyre
    Tires
    Tyre
  11. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I started marking the tire/rim after last time to see if it was moving, and it was. Also didn't like the look of the rim lock much either, so hopefully this cures it.

My KLX250s didn't come with rim locks, and I didn't want to use one because of the balance issues I've had with them on my last DS bike. So I drilled and tapped the rim in the bead area in 3 spots, 60 degrees apart to take a SS M5 button head cap screw, sharpened on the end. I did both sides, offset by 60 degrees, and run them in with some blue loctite so they don't come out. Running 15 psi, I haven't lost a tube yet, and it used to be a big problem.

[IMG]
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    We installed screws on drag race slicks. Then we painted a straight line from the tire to the rim to spot if the tire turns. We ran only 10lbs of air in the slicks.
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    So the pointy end grips the tube a bit u mean zomby?

Ahh sorry re-read it grips the tyre bead
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Very interesting concept Zomby Woolf. Would not have thought of that approach/solution. Get some good ideas on this Forum.
  15. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yup that's a common hack, works tho.
    All depends on how hard your abusing your wheels I suppose.

Still I'm running tubliss now and so far only one issue that was with the first bladder.
    steadydirt and NCSteve like this.
  16. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The '80's huskies came with 1/8 inch teeth inserted into the bead area of the rims instead of a rim lock. Aprox., 6-8 per side.- no rim lock. worked fine until you got a flat.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Then your dealing with a chewed up bead to re seat.. lol
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    My DS wheel on the 449 finally suffered a valve stem flat from either tire or tube rotating. Oh well, just have to throw the 19 on and go dirt riding.
  19. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I ran a 1hr TT scramble on Sunday, with lot's of traction, and the tire didn't move. I'm going to assume it was the rim lock that was the problem.
    NCSteve likes this.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    no, they will not slip, lol...they are tiny rolls pins the whole way around the rim. actually really slick and no rim lock..