EFI Fuel Pump Plastic Elbows - they break, here are solutions!

Discussion in 'Technical Reference' started by Nesbocaj, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

COFFEE EDIT - Discussion thread here:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358

Background: If the plastic elbow on the bottom of a fuel tank is broken on an EFI bike the only OEM solution is to buy an entire fuel pump which is really expensive. There is another brand that works (Sherco) and there have been other creative solutions like this one:

I posted this elsewhere, but it belongs in the Cafe, thanks Coffee!

Well while doing something else on the H I broke the RED elbow off of the bottom of the fuel pump, bottom of the tank. The replacemnet part is about $60, but why bother, it will break again. A post on TT mentioned tapping the hole, why not?

So I decided to replace both elbows with brass. Parker 68HB-6-6, 3/8" NPT with a 3/8" barb.
    [IMG]

Removal of the elbows was easier than I thought. Grip on the elbow with a Vise-Grip, put a large driver through the Vise-Grip, lever the tip of the driver on some wood to protect the base, two shots with a hammer, that did it!
    [IMG]

Tapped both holes with a 3/8" NPT tap, plenty of cutting fluid and sealed the bottom of both holes with tape and a rag.
    [IMG]

Yellow Teflon tape or Loctite 567 would do as a sealant, I had the tape
    [IMG]

One in, the other just resting on top'
    [IMG]

I was going to re-use the existing lines, but decided to replace the lines and quick-disconnects. Motion pro Quick connects on order, FI line and clamps bought and ready.
    [IMG]

I did remove the pump from the tank, when I was finished, to make really sure that no bits had migrated, hosed everyting off with carb cleaner and compressed air. Bob J.