1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Dumb 2st questions...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Coffee, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125

Recoil.....Now thats what I call cheating :lol:

mine were finger wound....I never worried about my fingers..but the blasted thing sometimes would fire up backwards....and I would be scrambling about trying to hold the plane to the ground with my feet...and trying to get my shirt off as quick as possible...so as to have something to throw at it to cut the motor....

mine lasted forever..it was the PT19 fight trainer....everything was held together by elastic bands.....when it hit the ground...it could be reassembled...and fly another day

I wonder in these days with protectionism and safety and all...do 9yr olds still get to experience these things.....

ever notice at playgrounds.....you dont see the good old teeter totters anymore.....danger+survival= fun !!!

they dont get it anymore....
  2. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I seriously doubt it Troy. I'm sure adult hobbyists can still get that sort of stuff at hobby shops, but I really doubt it's available to a 9 yr old with a fist full of lawn mowing money at a big discount store like it was for us. In fact I doubt 9 yr olds can even legally mow grass now!

"And those who know what's best for us,
    must rise and save us from ourselves"

-Geddy Lee-
  3. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    "quick to judge..quick to anger...slow to understand..ignorance and prejudice and fear..walk hand in hand..."

My fav band..I hear ya
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Not to be nit-picky or anything, but Neal Peart wrote those words... Geddy sang 'em. :thumbsup:
  5. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I stand corrected, my WR300 brother! :busted:
  6. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the so-called "power band" is indeed a "torque band". the power valve of the wr125/cr125 for example increases torque (and of course power) at 6500-8500 rpm, but the real action starts at 8500 rpm. so i do not consider the 6500-8500 range as a part of the "power band".

r
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Finally we're back to two stroke stuff I was think'n we might have to start a "Cox .049 thread.:lol::lol::lol:
  8. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes for sure Dave...we kinda got off topic:excuseme:

those are probably better suited as Diner threads.....
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Sorry, my fault.
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Troy what do you thing will be different about the "Power valves?

Care to guess?:D
  11. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think as far as the engineering goes....its pretty complex to taylor the powerband to suit....a cross spec....an enduro spec...and a street emission spec(euro)....all with varying levels of exhaust restrictions or silencers.....so I wont hazard to guess.....my(CR) machine has been as reliable as a hammer.....and I havent been inside yet:notworthy:

But I suspect if Husky saw fit to implement a "change up" to this degree..they have a very good reason for it.....

Looking at the numbers that robert provides(via halls) shows three sets of part numbers for the power valves(06-08)...and yet the ones on order for the 09 update are different yet again....

Having a CR to compare to the WR is very interesting....first thing I noticed.....the flywheel effect ie you have to hold the kill button "in" a lot longer to shut the WR down....it also is a bit slower reving...but not by much.....folks I have spoke to say the 06 CR has the widest overall powerband....08 maybe more on top..but less on the bottom

I'm thinking Norm or Joe might have some better ideas as to "whats up" with the changes.....as I have not ridden the previous versions of WR.....

this will be interesting for sure.....I will have many photo's of the teardown and the parts for sure

It may be wishful thinking but I wouldnt mind a bit more low end hit.....and a sparky....
  12. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    not your fault "takes two to tango":lol::lol::lol:
  13. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Troy Good post.:thumbsup:

I'm remembering more of the conversation with the chaps running the 06 Cr 125 now here in Kamloops. It wasn't the whole power valve he was thinking of swap'n out. It was just the power valve springs. If that make sense.

I'm also wondering how much difference the pipe will be.

Time will tell.
  14. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well its a Two blade valve system with centrifugal governor ....I guess that would be the flyweight springs.....????

As for the pipe really like the sound level and appearance of the current set up...hope its similar

BTW the welds and general quality of my pipe is perfect....... we both got our bikes pretty much the same day too.....go figure
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    That got me think'n...#ZKHWR12309????067

What's yours?
  16. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

that's what the update is about... low end power and quality.

r
  17. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:

that puts them apart ...but only just;)
  18. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:

Yes..that looks like whats going to happen....and the quality or durability???....must be addressing the fit and weld issues with the spanny...
  19. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The bore shape/size of the PV's in the cylinder is what it is and can't be changed (well it can but not without re-working the cylinder part) What I mean, the new PV HAS to fit into that space. The cut of the angle and or how close it extends into the cylinder while still not grazing a 12,000 RPM piston is the factors that are probably changed. And since this is a drop in replacement, I would not think that Husky would try for a 0.001" clearance so as to avoid liability and ots of roasted top ends.

Simply the PV's alter the exhaust timing and change the characteristics and increase the torque of a two cycle at low to mid engine ranges. This is up to a point as after a while the exhaust gasses cannot effectiveley exit and there is no form of creating a "supercharging effect" to forcing exhaust out and with that being said the volume,angle,length of the design of the expansion chambers which sucks the exhaust gas out plays a big part especially at high engine revs and this also effects the vacuum effect back to the gas charge coming through the engine.
    The concept of port altering is not new. The PV on most bikes has the movement of the valve at about 8000-9000 rpm and the movement of the valve is generally either 'on' or 'off'. Little "progression" and variance is what I mean. Watch one woking with the cover off to see what I mean......kinda "lightswitchy".
    By altering the timing of any of the many variables in a 2 smoker such as charge induction start,charge duration,charge induction close, transfer ports and openings and closings and duration,piston port timing and durations and piston port opennings and closings and duration, exhaust ports openning,durations and closings,the list is very big at what you can change on a two cycle engine and it is all timing relative to the degree of crankcase revolution.They changes will change the aspects of torque,power,boost,reliability,fuel consumption, starting, engine temperature etc. See what they did to the 07 CR and the 08 WR with the ports.:thumbsup:
    What is my rambling on my passion for 2 strokes meaning????? :excuseme: All these parts are linked in relation to timing. (no jokes on "they should have had the factory timed so these parts came on the bike from the get go"......at least they are "Husky-ing up if your know what I mean)

It will probably aim at having an effect of increasing engine vacuum and flow and the effect of advancing the timing (not actually physically advancing it) relative to the degree of crankcase revolution which would give more response, low end, and overalll "enduro ridability.
    There......I am done.

Joe
  20. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I've yet to see the insides of a Husky smoker, but I've seen plenty of Japanese versions. There's 3 springs riding on the horizontal shaft of the 3 PV blades. The tension of these springs would have an effect of how quickly the PV shuts, but I dont know if they'd really have an effect as to how quickly they open. Maybe milliseconds :excuseme:, but a tighter wound spring would certainly make the PV close quicker.

Once that motor gets spooling and the centrifuge pushes the balls toward the outer reaches it's going to force open the PV quickly regardless of the spring tension. Unless you really, really put some monster springs on it. At least this is what I think, so take it with lots of grains of salt.

I know KTM's have a PV that can be altered with swapping a spring, but their setup can't be the same as the Japanese. It would take me a few hours to disconnect the PV linkage, remove the jug, disassemble the PV assembly and reassemble it with new springs on an Asian bike. KTM must have added a spring in-line to the linkage somewhere to make it easily tunable. Do Husky smokers have this same setup? I know none of the Japanese smokers do.

Rush and 2 smoke talk. This is a good thread :thumbsup: