Documented 630 part failures - known weak areas

Discussion in '610/630' started by DYNOBOB, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    jtemple likes this.
  2. STANIMAL Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    WXE260
    So , has everyone had to do these ''updates'' on their bikes or its a small percentage ?
  3. asi00007 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki V-strom 1000
    Well .. I couldn't find anyone yet with the same problem I have... Fuel pump didnt start making its BZZ when I tried to fire here up .. after 3-4 hours didnt start up... I have only 1000 KM on it .. 30 min later .. no problem.. Im suspect the kill switch is the problem , Im under warranty so they have to find the problem
  4. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    Various wires pinched by plastics or bent at extreme angles/crimping. This is my finding. Not sure if others have had this.
    organ donor likes this.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Tires seem to wear out from lots of riding !
  6. AussieRidin Husqvarna
    B Class

Has anyone had a radiator hose blow on their TE or SMS 630? Does anyone carry a full set of spare radiator hoses on long trips?

Last month on day 1 of a seven day ride from Bourke to Simpson Desert and back (Australia) the 'y' piece radiator hose on my TE 630 blew up on me. It literally split in half, luckily the split was below the 'Y' section so we were able to use hose clamps, a piece of copper pipe and a spare radiator hose from an XR650 to fashion up a spare.... which got me another 2,800km to Poeppel Corner and back.

The four DR650's and XR650 on the ride didn't have a single problem in 3,000 km and didn't the guys let me know about it!

I'm thinking I probably should carry a full set of radiator hose spares on long trips.....any thoughts?
  7. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z

I think that's more a stroke of bad luck than anything else. Those types of connections last 10-15 years on cars, and i don't see why bikes would be any different.
    You could have done some accidental mechanical stress to the part, like getting it squished or jammed, leading to failure or it could've been a manufacture defect (can we have some photo's? or is it long gone?)

If you're going to carry a spare set of hoses, you may as well carry a spare set of radiators, a spare starter motor, a spare set of brakes... if you know what i'm getting at.
    PaulC likes this.
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´ve done approx. 30.000kms on my 630SM (don´t know the exact mileage as my display got waterlogged). It´s started an increasingly noticeable ticking noise coming out of the cylinder area. Took it to the local Husky workshop and they tell me that it´s likely to be a con needle bearing, so likely to be expensive. The maestro is of the opinion that this is a repair that´s to be expected at this mileage.
    Redleg likes this.
  9. Wrryder Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yup... split the hose on the left side at the output of the water pump... split it from clamp to clamp and blew with a loud bang... I put in Zip Ty coolant and added a Trail Tech temp gauge so I can keep an eye on things. The gauge is very small and only around $40...

10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

`Twas the bearing AND the crank. So expensive. But told it´s just to be expected at that mileage.
    The following is also to be expected at any time:
    - Crimped wires,
    - Steering/ignition lock working loose,
    - Waterlogged instrument console,
    What have I left out?
  11. igun Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    My shook loose twice in a year. first time after only 300km
  12. genghis9021 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950 Husaberg FE570 Suzuki DRZ400

Yep, mine too. I don't think it was ever even very snug.
  13. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
  14. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  15. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    For the SM 630 owners out there.. It may save you some heartache to order the "tip over sensor bypass plug" from the TE 630 and get that failure point out of your life. http://www.ktm-parts.com/8000A6774.html I've just spent hours helping a member troubleshoot an intermittent stalling problem that started after a drop. Turns out the bike was a converted SM and still had the tip sensor.

16. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Wonder what it takes to trip that sensor, because in the times I've flopped mine around it's never cut off instantly
  17. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good question. We determined over the weekend that his angle sensor is bad and it started after a parking lot tip over. At first it shut the bike off every 50 miles and finally for good. It ruined a nice trip for him and cost a bunch of money. I'd get rid of it. The bypass plug is a $12 part when they get them back in stock.

18. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    If you search for the part number, you can see it in stock some other places.
  19. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I'll let him know.
  20. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm sure you've already double checked the fuses and all ground connections. It looks like the red wire connects to something thru fuse "DF". That red wire also goes over to the start relay and then to the battery. If the red wire shorted to ground at the regulator there could have been huge current flow from the battery thru the start relay and it could be damaged. Since all power to the bike appears to flow thru the start relay that's what I'd be looking at. EDIT: Actually, that's a 15a fuse in the start relay so a short at the regulator should just pop that fuse...

Seems like I recall some problems with the harness/ignition switch area? Either way you may want to get a working reg in there before you chase your tail too much.

[IMG]