Derestricting the TR650 engine.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Ziggy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    From here: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/interchange-list.30631/page-11

If you wish to derestrict your bike a different cable bracket at the throttle body is needed, viz Terra (part no. 7654888) which appears to be the same as BMW F650GS (part no. 13 54 7654888)

One inmate notes that the restricting bracket can be modded.

In the 2013 parts catalogue there is a list of VINS that distinguish restricted from derestricted models.

TR650 2013 restricted engine VIN list.jpg

Be aware that the previous owner or the dealer may have changed the bike's status already.
  2. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    My understanding is that all TR650s imported into Australia were restricted (LAMS version). PFG the importer then released the part to derestrict the bikes on a case by case basis, after the dealer supplied them with a copy of the owner's licence to show that they were not restricted to LAMS bikes.

The table above skips the B# sequence, which is interesting, because the serial number on my bike has B#

Also, I don't think there is any mechanism (at least not in Vic) for the LAMS status to be changed on the registration after the point of sale, so bikes which were originally sold as LAMS and then derestricted would still be registered as being LAMS approved (I know mine is).
    snail_72 and glitch_oz like this.
  3. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Thanks nev.

FWIW my Strada is restricted but listed on VicRoads records as not!
  4. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    It also possible to visually identify whether a TR is restricted or not by removing the seat and viewing the cable throttle stop. I posted a visual comparison a while back.
  5. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Top bracket is the restricted bike bracket. It has a throttle stop and the cable holder is shorter.

Bottom bracket is for the non restricted bike, no throttle stop and the cable holder is longer to move the throttle cable onto the other pulley on the throttle body.

TR bracket.jpg

Note: bottom bracket part number is: 7654888
    Ziggy and PaulC like this.
  6. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Very interesting. It's how they achieve the same amount of throttle twist on the grip and reduce its pull/stroke. Ever noticed some restricted bikes have very little throttle travel when they release a LAMS version?
  7. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    This is gold - thanks guys.
  8. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    One comment about recycling the restricting bracket.

You can cut the stop off but the cable has to be relocated to the outside spool groove and the replacement bracket lines up with this.
  9. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Can the restricted bracket still be used by using spacers with longer mounting bolts so the cable holder lines up with the outside spool groove?
  10. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Yeah, probably.

Should also mention that the mount screws are the security type Torx.
  11. mr husky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1
    Hi, I haven't owned my terra for long and after reading this thread I checked to see whether my bike was restricted or unrestricted, as it turned out it seems to be restricted due to the stopper on the bracket but as mention above the cable needs to go to the outside of the spool so I had a look and at the cable position on the throttle body and the cable is on the outside of throttle cam. I have 2 photos of the bracket, if someone is able to confirm that I still would need to change or modify the bracket and if I do could they point me to a thread (if any) that would have this procedure.

Many Thanks. throttle stop 1.jpg throttle stop 2.jpg
  12. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    That’s unrestricted all the way. You’re good to go.
  13. mr husky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1
    Awesome, thanks for the reply..:thumbsup: