Dead Flat battery starting..

Discussion in '610/630' started by fatboycrash, Jan 13, 2009.

1. fatboycrash Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Ducati 900ss
    Struth!! Thanks everyone.
    I like Coffee's idea.. And I've seen them in large car batteries. A seperate smaller battery contained in the main battery with just enough for one start... Wonder if there is something like that out there? Anyone? The capacitor is a good idea as well? What size/type are you using?
  2. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

3. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Does your "Battery Tender" have this wonderful feature?:banghead:

"Before you connect the "BatteryMINDer" to your battery, test the battery for any
    shorted cells and check the voltage in the battery. The battery has to have a minimum
    resting voltage of 11 volts before the unit will turn on. Resting voltage
    means that the battery has not been charged or discharged within 8 hours minimum.
    If you test a battery that has not rested for at least 8 hours, you will get
    incorrect, inaccurate readings.
    1. Test your battery first before you connect it to the BatteryMINDer. See page 2
    for more information on testing the battery. See page 5 for more information
    about installing the BatteryMINDer inside or outside of the equipment.
    2. Check the voltage in your battery. If the resting voltage is less than 11 volts,
    use a regular charger to charge the battery to full voltage before connecting
    the BatteryMINDer to it. The BatteryMINDer does not turn on if the voltage is
    lower than 11 volts.

5. The green indicator lights when the proper connection is made. The green
    light is powered by the battery and lights up even when the BatteryMINDer is
    not plugged in an electrical outlet.
    6. Plug the BatteryMINDer into an AC electrical outlet as soon as possible after
    you have made the connection to the battery. Note: The unit will use the
    power from your battery and drain the battery if you do not plug it into an
    electrical outlet.
    7. The red indicator lights to show that there is AC power going into the unit. If
    the red light does not come on, check you outlet to make sure that it is
    switched on. The red light stays on unless the outlet is switched off or the
    BatteryMINDer has failed."

Don't ask me if I took those lights for granted once or twice! :excuseme: 11 volts to charge, eh...
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    My Battery Tender Jr does not have that 'feature' - it will slowly try to charge a battery safely from any condition. It just charged up a dead car battery (10V -> 12.5V) but it took a few days.

It has (tried) to charge batteries with 2 shorted cells & discharged... 5-6V....but could not do so - but gave a valiant effort.

I tested it over a wide variety of conditions with many batteries, checked the voltage every hour while connected - absolute perfection. Highly recommend the Battery Tender Jr. I used to design automotive test equipment a few lifetimes ago. They are only $20 on sale.