Dead Flat battery starting..

Discussion in '610/630' started by fatboycrash, Jan 13, 2009.

1. fatboycrash Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Ducati 900ss
    Allrighty. Hello everyone!
    Finally did it, went out and found a good condition 2006 610 to add to the Husky collection. Some could say Husky obsession...
    I'm going to do a lot of "adventure" style trips with this bike and I wanted to ask a question. Will the 610 start from a bump/push start with a dead flat possibly stuffed battery? I'm thinking like if I have a brain fade and leave something on overnight in the middle of nowhere. Some bikes won't because of the way the electronics work. Does anyone know? Anyone had the misfortune to find out.. :-) Ouch. I'm just wondering if I need to pack some sort of jumper lead arrangement. Remember mine is the last of the carburetor bikes.
    Thanks!
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I seriously doubt you would have a huge problem.

You may get some good input from someone though.

If it were me I'd call up a battery shop and borrow a dead battery and test it out, does not even have to be one that fits - just one that won't land on your feet when trying to start it.

Jumper cables would work for testing.
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I always ride mine with jumper cables.

Its got VERY high compression, about as high as any off road bike ever made. So not easy to jump start. Can it be done? Of course. Just need a big hill.

There is the option of adding a kick starter, and its easier than ya might think.

Take jumper cables, or park on a hill. Dont ride in isolated areas alone. Just my .02 pesos worth. :)
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I was lucky enough to accidently leave my gripheaters on all night while camping in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada last Thankgsiving. Threw my gloves across the "dash" and the little switch got turned on. No amount of pushing, shoving or swearing would get it to bumpstart. We even towed it to the top of a very steep hill to see if that would do the trick. No dice. Ended up jumpstarting it with jumper cables and it worked like a charm. Be careful, though, as the terminals are extremely close to the frame and it's easy to get some arcing action going on.

I am quite interested in adding a kickstarter to my carbureted `07 SM610. Tell me more, Mike!

WoodsChick
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I was wrong! Sorry....
  6. fatboycrash Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Ducati 900ss
    Well, if it's any consolation, the KTM 640 LC4 is exactly the same... dead battery? Kick it all you like 'cause it aint gunna start. Something needs a small charge for the elektrickery to do it's thing... Sigh.
  7. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had the same question about the EFI bikes and found out by testing that the EFI bike won't kick start unless the battery has about 7 volts.

With the EFI bikes the fuel pump needs to run and spark system use battery voltage rather than having separate power from magneto.
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

It's not impossible to bump start but it is tough you need to be in one of the higher gears like 3rd or 4th and then you need to quick on the clutch because once it starts spinning the auto decompress disengages so if it doesn't start right in the first couple of revolutions you might as well start over. It's best to carry a lightwieght set of jumpers.
    BTW, the stock Varta battery is kind of hit or miss so far as quality so you might wnt to invest a few dolllars in a good Yusa replcement.
  9. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its not an easy bike to kickstart, but many older models with this motor dont have electric start. :)

Agreed about the EFI models. Not gonna happen.

Anyway, just order the parts from your dealer. The lever, spring, gear, etc. I dont know the price, but i have asked about it, and it is possible. Next time you clean the clutch side screen, you will see where it fits, looks easy to do.

Talk to George about it on the baja ride?
  10. fatboycrash Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Ducati 900ss
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
  12. Zim Husqvarna
    A Class

On a ride late last year a mate had trouble starting his TE 250,carb bike
    and the kick start would not function right,it was slipping for some reason and to top it off its got a Recluse fitted,he usually carries a light weight set of jumper cables but not this day.I am thinking we are in big trouble as the Recluse will not allow jump stating,he got it rolling down a hill to a good speed and bumped it into 2nd while bouncing on the seat and at the same time fingering the start button,there was just enough power in the battery to spin the stater a tiny bit,this turned the motor over just a bit but enough for the Recluse to engage the centrifugal clutch and it started,
    Surprised the hell out of me.Now I am making some jumper cables,its a smart move with a Recluse fitted bike.
  13. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thanx for that bit of Info.
    Most likely save my Butt one day. :thumbsup:
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    How can a super duper battery help if something electric has been left on for a long time?

Keep it charged but not installed for jump starting?
  15. Zim Husqvarna
    A Class

I have a hazy memory of someone wanting to fit a kick start to a late model 610 but George reckoned it was not a good idea as it would not kick start easily,don't remember the details and I might have got it wrong but worth getting it from the horses mouth so to speak.
  16. fatboycrash Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 Ducati 900ss
    Yeah... fair point! :D If she's dead, she's dead. I'm gunna have to make up some emergency jumper leads and stash them on the bike somewhere..
    I spoke briefly to the local Husky mechanic and he said the only fuel injected bike problem they have had was when one cell collapsed on the battery. Maybe using an gsm battery may help avoid this??
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Did the a new battery fix the EFI problem?

As far as the super duper battery concept... there is no reason in the world a battery can't actually contain 2 batteries. The primary battery maybe 2x bigger than the other one but no current is drawn from it until someone flips a switch... but that little battery is always being charged when the bike is running.

That is how I thought the battery in your link worked at first.

Anyone could do that with a diode... it would sorta work ok without any circuit changes with the Vd drop (voltage drop across diode). Then you connect the hot lead of the the little battery up & disconnect the bigger battery when needed. Only problem is the space & AH/CCA trade off.

18. rajobigguy Administrator

Just get a 12v. lithium ion battery for a power tool and keep it charged up and carry it with you. It will supply enough voltage/amps to run the efi pump but probably not enough to crank the engine:excuseme:.
    I may play with this idea and see just how much battery boost we can get from one of those little suckers.
  19. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I went out for a ride a couple of months ago and when I went to start my bike there was nothing, I don't have any idea how many volts were in the battery, but not enough to run the fuel pump, and the starter didn't even wiggle when I pushed the button.

I had never kick started the bike before and wasn't sure I even wanted to try. I pulled it up next to a big log and on the first kick I heard the fuel pump pumping. Several kicks later it fired. I kick started it out on the trail half a dozen time that day, it started surprisingly easy.

By the time we got back to the truck at the end of the day, it finally turned over and started with the button. When I got home I put the Tender JR. on it and it charged for quite a while, but the green light came on that told me it was fully charged, but several days later it was dead again. So I replaced the battery.

I have to admit that my dead battery experience with my 08 TE 510 was a very positive one. I am almost glad it happened, I now have much more confidence in my bike. :)Ken
  20. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have been working on and testing a small capacitor device that is about 1"dia x 3" long and weighs only a couple of ounces.

You connect it in place of the dead or broken battery, kick the bike 10-15 with ignition off and then turn it on and kick. It stores enough energy to run the pump & ECU for about 6 seconds.