Cooling Issue

Discussion in '610/630' started by jae, Sep 15, 2019.

1. jae Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    started ripping the bike apart today. took the thermostat off and found some interesting stuff.

old is on left, new is on right. As you can see on the right there is supposed to be a plastic stopper for the rod on the thermostat. well she isn't there on the old one. melted right through it.

s%EWZqX+QxKLVoNPZT1BUA.jpg

new on top old on bottom. The opening is all bent out of round. Theres a small crack just to the right of the white spot on the metal ring. Couldn't pick it up with the camera. Same spot last one blew out on me as well.
    qF9AFBgvTHejrZ4eVB2qnw.jpg

new on top old on bottom. Same as the other ports, all bent out of round.
    X27EVsLOQJ+MvjH1ihjHFg.jpg

Pulled the motor and started trying to pull the valve head off. two of the bolts that hold on the camshaft caps are starting to strip out. intake and gear end side. Hopefully Ill figure something out tomorrow. Going to try and use the impact drill driver to rattle it loose. If that doesn't work, then Ill try some heat. Next would be to pound a slightly larger Allen key into it or use a chisel and try and knock it around. Id rather not have to drill them out, would rather just sacrifice the fuel rail (either bend or cut it out) and then take some vise grips to the bolt. Ive already tried using the vise grips but there isn't enough room to really get a good grip on the bolt head.

JzdJlji%RuOaBmRsnValCg.jpg

Motor actually came out pretty easy. lighter than I expected too! Ill keep you guy posted as the project goes along. Hopefully the deanship has the 2 bolts in stock instead of having to wait a week to get them in.
  2. blueknob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 harley davidson superglide
    put a little heat to it, the bolts may be loctited, :popcorn:
  3. Lukewalk13 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    610sm
    Dang, was that the original thermostat that failed?
  4. jae Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    No second one. OEM
  5. jae Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    So ended up having to drill out the bolts. got them out though! Got the valve head off and definitely had some coolant in the cylinder. you can see dried up coolant on the piston head and the bottom of the valve head. y67Up2eyQEGUqx0TUtfL2A.jpg

got the carbon deposit off (good old wd-40 and a scrotch bright pad).

mKJMzoaTS6OnBoy1%qN5sw.jpg

So I went to measure the piston top to cylinder head gap to pick out the correct head gasket. needed spacers so I could tighten down the head. Only thing I could find around the place that would work was sockets. got it tightened down and measured the gap. took off the bolts and low and behold the socket left indents. didn't really think about that when I tightened them down. So.......now what? Do you think the head needs to get resurfaced?

v56PNYKfQm6XmtAHzbGNkQ.jpg
  6. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Definitely. I wouldn’t expect the gasket to be able fill the indentation successfully.
    That is some bad luck!
  7. jae Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    none

just took it and milled it down. Not worth trying to see if it would seal or not. they had to take of 0.005 to level it off. I should still be within specs for the head gasket if my initial measurement was correct. Have to wait for the new base gasket to come before I put it back together.
  8. Lukewalk13 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    610sm
    Should go ahead and replace the piston rings since you removed the cylinder. The head studs are also torque to yield so if you want to dot your i’s and cross your t’s you could get a new set of studs and bolts. You could probably get away with reusing them though. Also might as well check your cam chain tensioner and replace the cam chain if it needs it. Glad you found the problem.
  9. Lukewalk13 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    610sm
    Did you get it back together?
  10. jae Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Lukewalk13 likes this.