Chain/sprocket time...looking for suggestions

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Apr 12, 2012.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi Gang. I'm at about 2K miles on my TE630 now and am pulling the rear wheel w/in the next few days to replace the tire (going w/ the T63...thanks to all for very helpful reading in the tire replacement thread here.)

I figure while I'm at it I might as well throw on the 14T CS sprocket, and if I am doing that I might as well go ahead and order a new chain and rear sprocket (and use the new nylock nuts/bolts I rec'd from the dealer for the rear sprocket.) I plan to go w/ the same number of teeth on the rear, but in steel instead of aluminum.

So two questions:

1.) I have a gift certificate to Bike Bandit (would have preferred Motorcycle Superstore) and they do not list the TE630...so interested in a part number for a 14T CS sprocket (their site requires you to "choose your vehicle" once you chose a part.) Anyone know what the right part number is for Renthal or another reputable brand? If you have advice on rear sprockets also that would be great.

2.) Chain- it's a 520 and I want a master link chain, assuming O or X-ring...anything else I need to know prior to ordering? I'm not sure how many links the thing is. At 2K I was tempted to try and use the existing chain, but it doesn't seem to be a very good chain (been cleaning it and lubing it,but still it has some stiff links so better to be done with it.)

I'm not looking to cheap it, but not looking for stratosphere cost stuff either. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    My bet is BB doesn't have them. I got my counter from drivesystemsusa.com Cheap, quick, good.

2K miles is not a lot of miles for chain or sprockets. What do you clean with? The chain may just need a good cleaning with WD40 to loosen up hardened chain lube on the o-rings. Harsher solvents can deteriorate the o-rings. I've got closer to 3K and have just adjusted it a bit once. They are very durable.

The x-ring chains are very good. All brands are good, but DID is probably the best buy. Were me I'd search for the cheapest price on a x-ring and call it good. I would have to count links, but you can do that on your own chain. Consider getting a couple of extra links should you decide to change sprocket size. If you go 44-45 rear you'll want another link or two.

There's nothing wrong with the aluminum sprocket but some guys like to use steel for duarbility. If you're buying a new sprocket consider a 44 or 45T. I think most of us that have tried different gearing would say definitely 14t counter, and many would also say it's still a little tall. Some like taller gearing. You might get a 14T counter and try it out, then change out the chain and rear sprocket if you still feel inclined to do so.

I find that I don't need a 100mph top speed, would rather have a little better crawl and still cruise 70 with ease. Even with 14/42 the thing doesn't find 6th gear 'till 60mph.
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Great info CJ...was hoping you'd chime in. You're right- 2K isn't much and I've been surprised that the chain seems to be so stiff in a few spots, but then again I have to admit that my cleaning hasn't been as diligent as it could/should be. I've used WD-40, but it probably needs a better soaking. I'll try that. For lube I've been using the Bel-Ray chain stuff...seems OK.

Thanks also for the tip on drivesystemusa.com...I'll give that a shot. After all the reading I've done on going to the 14 I'm sure it's for me. I'm not much for highway cruising on this thing anyway and would love the added grunt lower down.
  4. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Instead of a 14T CS sprocket I bought a used 45T steel rear sprocket from Bill's that came off a SM610 for$20 and left the stock 15T CS (14/42 and 15/45 the exact same gear ratio). Stock chain still fit fine although required moving the axle forward a good bit. Using a T63 tire you will not have a clearance problem. Changed over at 2,400 miles and currently at 9,400 miles on original CS, chain and steel rear. Just inspected the set real good a couple hundred miles ago and all perfectly fine and no need to replace yet. If I had left the stock aluminum rear sprocket on I would have had to replace the entire set a long time ago.

O-ring chains always have somewhat stiff links. Fresh and healthy O-rings tight against the plates keep the chain from being loosey/goosey like a non o-ring chain.

_
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  6. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    I think you can buy RK chain thru BB. We've been using their 'X' ring with good luck. Take a look at the MXU chain...lightweight sealed chain.
    Since it's sealed it usually only gets a light spray of WD to displace the water and give it a light oil. After the initial seating in usually one adjustment and done for awhile. Because of the racing abuse we wanted an 'O' ring. Used this on the 125 and the rear wheel free roll when on the stand was always good, never really got stiff like the stocker...

Supersprox on the rear...kind of the best of both...pricey but this setup lasted a while for us...not sure about the road.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Although I just checked K's post above...can't beat those prices...
  7. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    All helpful- thanks. See, SilverBullett's post here (about the 12 th down, #52) is what started me thinking I might as well change out the rear, as his (pictured) was at 2500 miles at the time.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te-630-14-t-front-sprocket-ahhh-thats-better.20983/page-3

Mine's not as bad off though, last I looked closely (been a while though and, I gotta admit, I'm pretty hard on it...can't resist the wheelies. :) ) I'll have a closer look tomorrow and decide as I want to order everything and square it away for the season.
  8. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    RK XSO x-ring chains have served me well on XR628, 525 EXC, TE 610, and the 630.
    I've had the Supersprox, but IMO the longest lasting sprockets made are Ironman.
  9. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    LOL, I was going to chime in with your stuff until I seen your post.
    OP: I'll add to it that Kelly has some good product. Albet my original chain on my TE450 lasted 6700 miles and had stiff links all the time. I have always used a chain wax to lube although I have been told used motor oil is the best. Sounds good as its the cheapest by far. Have 3700 on my SM610 a d still going strong.
  10. Jack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ironman or Supersprox for the rear.
  11. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I would recommend a 15/45 sprocket combo with a 114L chain. A 14/42 will work with the stock 112L chain. They give the same 3.0 ratio, but I like the 15/45 best. We have three of the Husky red Supersprox rears from MotoXotica. They keep them in stock. The Husky spercial parts sprocket is hard to beat for the price and bling factor. I know that doesn't help with your gift certificate, but you could get a chain at BB and get the red Husky rear and a matching Supersprox front. I have a new Supersprox 14T I didn't use as I went with a 15T oem. PM if you would want the 14T.
  12. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks fella- I appreciate the advice and offer of the 14T. I bought one a few days ago from drive systems- the place CJ recommended. When I pull the wheel I'll give the chain a proper cleaning and re-evaluate if I need to do that and the rear sprocket. Thanks to all for the helpful input.
  13. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Wow, old thread...
    I'm finally due for sprockets and chain. Think I'll go 14-43 or 15-45. Been running the former from new, almost 6K miles. Teeth are getting pretty worn looking, starting to hook, and chain has some stiff links. It's starting to eat on the sprockets.

So, the stock rear was aluminum? Really?

Looking for a source...trying sprocketcenter.com, $165 for steel sprockets and did x-ring atv gold chain.

Amazon has jt sprockets, aluminum or steel rear, front, and did x-ring chain for $113. wow.
    ray_ray likes this.
  14. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    My stock 45T sprocket is steel, for sure. Still looking great at ~6,000 miles (mostly hard offroad miles); 2nd chain and several front sprockets in that time.

I am currently running 13/45 on mine. I ride a lot of tighter singletrack and it works well. I've used 14/45 for general use before and it's ok, definitely too tall in tighter stuff. I'd run a larger rear sprocket, but then I would need a longer chain, and I wouldn't be able to get the 15/42 that I run for supermoto to fit. :(
  15. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I recently rode my friend's bike with 15/50 and really liked it. I'm thinking about getting a rear Kush in the 47-50 range and put my 15 cs back on.

16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    ray_ray likes this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Yep, that 113$ is a pretty good number. I stopped with all ALUM sprockets because the steel ones last me so much longer. Also, after I started using my used engine oil and a toothbrush to oil the chain and chain-guides before each ride, overall chain and sprockets life is pushed out even farther.

Here is what I got from from Motosportz. 100_0431.JPG

This one has been on my 08 WR250 for over a yr and it is holding up well. Not alot of miles but this bike is raced alot and almost all the miles put on it are somewhat hard, trail miles.
    100_0433.JPG

Mid-level RK racing chains work well for me also.
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    If you ride much on the road at all, you will like the way the rear Cush Sprocket II feels one your bike.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Honda put cush drives on all these small ~125cc-150cc street bikes (XRMs) I see here. They must know or at least think it is worth adding even on these small bike. I'm thinking now that your tire acts as the cush drive on bikes without a cush-drive-sytem when you are slamming the gears up or down on your bike.
  20. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS

So what am I getting besides a lighter weight for 3-times the cost? Is the aluminum stronger than a steel one? does the steel one make that much difference in unsprung weight? Would I even notice it?

I hadn't thought of putting my new take-off 15 back on...geez. I can get a 45-46 rear and a little more chain. Duh. But the roller guide probly won't work then?

I've enjoyed the 14-42 but I think a tooth or two lower would be better - the darn thing doesn't need to be able to go 90mph (150km/h?). LOL. Still, it's a pretty good cruise at 65-67mph with the 14-42. That seems to be a good hiway speed for the bike, where I feel comfortable for some miles. Revs at just under 5K.

First seems plenty low, still mostly use 2nd on the trails I hit with it. I guess a little lower wouldn't hurt, it lugs sometimes in 2nd.

Man, it's sure nothing like my Tiger 800 that's for sure, I routinely run it at 80-85, it really likes it there. But then the Tiger doesn't eat the dirt like this husky does. This Sunday husky ride about 226 miles with about 2/3's dirt. I was tired and darn near frozen. BRRRRR.

BTW, I thought it was the clutch springs that took the place of a cush hub? I don't notice anything odd on the pavement with it, it's smooth and easy running. Well, as good as knobbies can be I guess.