Te 630 14 T Front Sprocket Ahhh... that's better.

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rsquared, Oct 12, 2011.

1. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

88.8 (GPS) on dirt was the best I could get yesterday (14/42). Did't have enough fuel to do multiple runs. There was a bit of a breeze.
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Glad you guys had a good ride John.

No instability issues at that speed with yours? Road neither? New posts on ADV about front shimmy at speeds over 75 on these things. Mine is a little scary over 65. Maybe it will settle down, maybe I'll get used to it. ;) Maybe it needs a damper.

Getting dialed in for the DV trip.
  3. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

606 front and rear w/ 20-24 psi. Preload set to spec (more or less) and can go straight as an arrow at any speed.
  4. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I ride 80 mph daily on my way to work with no stability issues. I'm curious if you're wiggles have gotten better or worse with the windscreen. My first draft of a windscreen would produce some nasty shakes at highway speeds. I cut it down 2" and now it is just perfect.
  5. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    The shakes were there before the windscreen.
    Larryboy on ADV says firm up the rear and drop the triple clamp back to the first notch, see if that fixes it.

A quick search onlilne turned up numerous suggestions to tighten the stem head bearings.
  6. Jono Husqvarna
    B Class

So if i want to leave the bike completely stock and just change the front sprocket to 14t it will still make a differance that is worth doing?
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Absolutely. Best mod yet.
  8. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    +1, although JD tuner is also a must!
  9. WhiteAndRed Husqvarna
    A Class

I just switched to a 14T CSS. Did some time in the desert this last weekend. Wow this is a legit dirt bike! For offroad I'd like even lower gearing. Rode to work this morning and it was noticeablely less fun to ride on the street (fwy) with the 14T. I found myself looking for 7th gear at least 5 times on my 22 mile commute. I'll be putting the 15T back on for weekday work.
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    That's my problem, I use it around town and down the road too much to go up a ton in gearing. And I ALREADY find myself looking for 7th occasionally on the highway, haha.
  11. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    Yes sir. It's well worth doing and can easily be swapped back for extended highway use. I probably never will but it's good to have an option.
  12. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Below is my stock 42t rear sprocket after only 2,500 miles. Instead of spending money on a 14t front I opted for a 45t steel rear off an SM610. Like new condition for only $22 from Bill's on Ebay. 15/45 gives you the exact same gearing as 14/42 and I figure the steel sprocket will probably give me at least 5,000 miles greater chain life over the stock aluminum rear. Once the sprockets get worn, chain wear accelerates greatly. Also easier to install as no need to break the chain. I did at the same time as rear tire replacement so really no extra work.

[IMG]
  13. WhiteAndRed Husqvarna
    A Class

Hate to put more weight on the bike, but in this case it's an easy call. Steel rear sprocket is in my future.
  14. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    You don't have to gain weight by putting on a steel rear.
    Go with an Ironman. They're indestructible, and look so spidery they appear flimsy....but they are anything but. They don't do a 42, but my 14/43 is an ideal setup for my use.

[IMG]
  15. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Here's my OEM sprocket after 9000 miles:

[IMG]
  16. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I have 14T on the front but have considered putting the 15T back for highway miles. Would 14T front and 43 back improve fuel MPG and lower the RPM in 6th doing 70MPH on the freeway?
  17. twolane Husqvarna
    A Class

I know a just a link is kind of a cop out, but it's a cool site to have book marked...

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
    Huskyfly likes this.
  18. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    OOOoooooo...........That's a cool site!!

You have to ignore my ignorance with sprockets and chains, I was on a shaft drive bike before....:lol:
  19. _luke_ Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes, a really great link. It will help me to decide what i really want.
  20. Jono Husqvarna
    B Class

Sorry for sounding really thick but I have been riding vespa and lambretta for years and only just got into the off road scene. If I want my bike to perform well on (90%) and off (10%) road, I am just looking for easy to ride good mpg etc etc.