1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Calling all 2013 TE449 owners - Would you buy it again?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by JeffV, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    no thanks. The only real lacking issue on the TE's was a tunable ecu. I have actually found a tunable ecu, but at this stage in the game, it's not really worth investing time into.

511 cylinder on a g450x, unknown. 511 cylinder on a Husqvarna 449, not without compression mods.
  2. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Tinken,

Unknown ? You built a 511 (477cc) big bore kit (with your head mods and a brand new crank he got from Speedbrain) on a G450X for my friend from San Diego last year around June. I referred him to you myself in early spring from the "G450 riders forum". You guys put it all together for him and he said he was told it was the first BMW G450 you had ever had in the shop. I have seen pictures of it in the shop. He bought it and It came in to your ZipTy as a basket case and since he got it back, he loves it. Don't need to mention names here.

I realize you like to open up the chamber in the 449 or G450 head to reduce the static compression as the swept area of a 3mm larger bore on the 477 kits is trying to compress a bit more into the same area. Is it not true that the TC engines (as you have said before) is the preferred casting to work with and has a factory 13 to 1 compression ratio, from all the written specifications I have seen. Is this the TC head being different chamber/compression wise or the TC449s piston crown being a higher compression design? Where the TE 449s and all the G450s as advertised is a 12 to 1 compression ratio? If that's the case I run my unmodified TC 449 with a PC5,Leo Vince' full exhaust, no second butterfly, and on pump gas. And did that just fine before I added the PC5 also. With no detonation problems.

Does going to the BMW/Husky Big Bore, Factory 3mm larger 477cc piston and cylinder end up having a compression ratio higher than the stock TC engine at 13 to 1 ?? If the head isn't modified by ZipTy Racing. Requiring race gas to operate?

Is the 511 head casting different, with a larger quench area already in the heads chamber as cast from the factory? Why isn't it so desirable? Or is it?
    What's wrong with the G450 head castings or the TE/TXC 449s castings? Other than you wanting to alter the chamber to reduce the compression?

I'm not asking for proprietary secrets here either..

How much of a chamber mod to reduce compression is required going 3mm larger? Or the better question is, what final static compression ratio do you recommend? For the average rider.

Since there are many people around the world that have done this big bore kit already. Many of which have been running these engines with the 477cc top ends in all the continents of this world on both the G450 BMWs and Husky 449s. Many of which in other Countries probably never even heard of you guys or are aware of you and your expertise in this area. They are doing this successfully. Clearly they all didn't get built by you guys and have your required compression mods to enable them to operate and do this by ZipTy racing.

Even myself would actually consider you guys to be experts (ZipTy Racing) on these specific engines.

Are you saying it can't be done? Or what are you saying?
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    So many questions, so little time haha. You know I suffer from CRS (can't remember shit), caused from constant Zipty craziness.

Yes, the 449 head has to either be relieved or the piston due to the compression. You may be able to get away without it, but our riders who raced the bikes had continual head gasket failures until we re-chambered the combustion chambers. The TC/TXC/TE head is different, even the casting is a little different. On my bike, I changed the chamber and lightened the piston, but I can't remember how much I turned off. This gave me that faster 449 quick snap while retaining my slightly larger piston.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

That would be fun. That said my EFI works great.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Chicks dig that...
    Tinken likes this.
  6. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    OKAY!

Being the first G450X in the shop for ZipTy racing getting the 477cc top end and a rebuild doesn't seem like something I would expect you would forget. No matter what the volume is going in and out the door. A touch of Alzheimer's symptoms maybe ??

I must suffer from RTMS (remembering too much shit), caused from exactly the same thing as you said.

I was talking about the average rider doing the 477cc top end, which many people have done. Or like myself running the TCs 13 to 1 compression ratio on 93 octane pump gas, with just a bit of octane booster. There are many others who have gone this route as well. Or possibly "Cro" himself doing this. He was the one who was asking the question in the previous post I had responded to.

I was not talking about the handful of hot shot, full throttle racers who can tear just about anything up if they want to, or cause any number of other problems as well.

If these owners, or riders of 477cc kit top ends installed were blowing head gaskets we would have surely read a post or two of this happening on this and other Forums.?
  7. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    While that outcome might work fine, on a near standard bike, there's really no need.
    Bin the butterfly and get some richer mixtures happening (there's quite a few ways to do that) and the bike performs as intended, as opposed to as delivered.
    Keep in mind, the competition has moved forward since 2011 when this bike was delivered.
    It was im my own opinion, better (once sorted) than the other 450s in the enduro class.
    There'll be people who disagree for sure, but it was the best bike for me at the time of release.
    Huskynoobee, Big Timmy and 9880sts like this.
  8. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    If you talk to jerry at cheney engineering he has like 2 or 3 bmw g450x's and did similar mods to my 511. He says they dyno near 60hp and have a smoothe powerband with more overrev than any other bike they have run. He uses them for ice racing and flat track. He loves the bikes.

I just wish these bikes ran like this from the goddamn factory. They just failed big time on delivery.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  9. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I agree with that statement on having good overrev and a smooth powerband especially with the PC5.

The PC5 makes it much easier to get it to this point, but at the same time it's not a must to get to this level either, there are other ways to go about it.
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You can't blame Husky as much as you can blame California for the way emissions laws have been written. Pretty soon they're gonna start smoging electric cars too. Hehe.
  11. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    i put a fair amount of thought into adapting the WR450F ecu which isn't locked & has the Yamaha power tuner. (One of my riding mates has a WR)
    I looked at finding doner bike, splicing in the WR ECU plug to the TE wiring harness & tuning from there.
    There are also a couple of great auto-based full replacement tunable ECU options small enough to install with far more tunability than the PCV piggback, but all are nearly 3 times the price.

No real need in the end with the other solutions (TPS tuning, PCV, JD etc). It would only have been a 'because you can' excersise :D
    Big Timmy likes this.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Danger,
    And I know you could have done it better than probably anybody out of all of the members here.
    Your generous contributions and knowledge have been invaluable. Didn't cost us a dime either. Thanks for all the honesty, explanations, simplified tips and all the hard work you've put in to help.
  13. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    My bike is running so good after adding more low end fuel at idle up. And i readjusted the accel pump feature more agressively.

I lowered the idle. Yep, down to 1650. We will see how it goes. Usually these bikes like all of 1900-2000 or you get clutch pull stalls.

Hope it works bikes so damn loud the drop in rpm makes a huge difference. Also might help lower clutch drag.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You should have: I <3 Dangermouse shirts made. ;)
    Big Timmy and James Patton like this.
  15. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Why do you say that ? I was just thanking someone for their contributions !

Figures, Yet another (great idea) patronizing and condescending comment, directly above by "Tinken".
  16. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Funny stuff :)

Timmy, I'm not sure your kind words are justified, I'm just another guys who likes to fix things & try and pass on what I find, same as anyone.

Tink, My Avatar is actually a pic of a t-shirt my Mrs bought me. It's the Real Dangermouse, so no market there mate.
    One of my mates coined my nickname as my first initials are DM.
    Big Timmy likes this.