1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Calling all 2013 TE449 owners - Would you buy it again?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by JeffV, Jun 22, 2013.

1. JeffV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR650
    Hi,

With what you know about your bike now, would you buy it again?

Im an old guy (44) and am considering getting back into riding one last time. I can get a good deal on a 2013 TE449 ($7800 OTD thats including CA tax, set up, reg) and was wondering if you recommend the bike at this price.

If I don't get the TE, I'll be buying a WR250R or DRZ400 , which are about $1400 less, but no where near the bike the Husky is.

A little background: I rode dirt bikes pretty much my entire life until 2000. I raced a few races in District 36. I'm 6' tall and weigh about 240lbs. I'm not sure about how much advanced ridding I have in me so I'm not sure I need a TE449, but the price is right.
  2. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Ive had a 511 for nearly 2yrs. I am about to update, but not to another 511. I like the 511, but not really interested in getting a 2013 511 as its the same bike as my 2011 511. I am switching to a Berg 501 as the 310 dosn't do it for me. I don't think we will see any new Huskies this year at all. So a Berg is an in between bike for now.
    The 511 is a great bike & will leave your other selections for dead. Mine has been bulletproof for 3000ks except for shifter issues & dead throttle(occasionally) & being carefull with oil changes.
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Another one? Jeez, I already have 2!
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  4. kevinsterner Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 449 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Honda 250 L
    I am 56 and got back into riding after about 35 years. I started with a new Honda 250 L. Nice bike but on the heavy side. After about 9 months I came across a lightly used 2011 TE 449. The Honda is going to be sold soon. I was a little concerned about the tall seat. (I have a 30" inseam). But that has not been much of a problem. This bike is more dirt than the DRZ but the DRZ would,probably handle the hwy better. As for the WR. I like the added HP,of the bigger bike.it eliminates lots,of down shifting. They are all good bikes but if you are going to ride mostly dirt I would go with the Husky. If you want a dual sport that will cruise the pavement some I would go with the DRZ. My Husky will run over 70 but it buzzes the bars so much I back down to 60 for comfort
  5. kevinsterner Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 449 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Honda 250 L
    Jeff, I see you have a KLR. I plan on getting one for my dual sport rides. My Husky is for the rough stuff and the Klr will be for fire roads and some hwy.
  6. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I too see your a KlR guy. I have owned a couple. I have a DRZ400 now along with my 2012 TE511.
    I really love my 511. It is a very different animal than the KLR's/DRZ's. It is a race bike that has been made
    50 state street legal. It has a catylitic converter, smog canister, and very lean fuel mapping that really hurts
    Its performance. The maintenance for the TE is more frequent, oil changes, etc. more along dirtbike, not
    Dualsport lines. When your doing your second or third valve adjustment on your KLR at 20,000miles, it might
    Be rebuild time on the TE, as it would be on most any real dirtbike race bike. I put an FMF pipe, and had the
    Fuel mapping redone, (about 350/400$) and the bike runs great. If you are looking for a real performance
    Dirtbike you can use to get to places to ride and you like doing maintenance, you will love it. Throttle only
    Front wheel lofting power, suspension, brakes etc, quality components, and it has a lot of soul.
    No comparison to the DRZ in the dirt, the DRZ is heavier by 60/70 pds. And suspension is playbike by comparison.
    Most who own the 511's have had good luck in the reliability department, mine has been perfect.
    It's really just picking the right tool for the job. Commuter, playbike, easier maintainence, longer life, less performance
    And your riding the DRZ. You want the real dirtbike, with top components, arm stretching performance,(with the mods)
    something you can use and grow your offroad skills with, and its super cool, get the 449/511.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Would I buy again, yes of course, the 449 is an amazing motorcycle and with a couple of known mods, is now bullet proof. I would not recommend buying a berg at the moment, but to wait and buy a new Husqvarna FE501. @Jeff - The TE would be a great bike for you and you will be able to customize it to your liking. The KLR is a good bike, but it is very heavy. I'm similar to your age/weight/height and I wouldn't want to lug around anything heavy. I want something light and sporty. ;)
  8. J.R.43 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    I just got a 2013 te449 after a 6 year break from the dirt. Only have a few rides on bike and I love it! I got FMF power core IV, power up plug for access to map II and ditched CA smog crap. The bike runs great and nice usable power. I would try an;d work them down a bit on price. You can get one easily in the $7000-$7400 range. You gotta find dealer who has the factory discounted units for the lower price otherwise they won' t go that low. I had to ask specifically about those units or they wanted the same range you are stating. Get one as you will have a huge grin every time you ride it.
  9. JeffV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR650
    Hey J.R. check your Private Message/Conversation.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    He replied to the email notification instead of logging in and replying on Cafe Husky... so I got his reply and you did not. Hopefully the automatic email that is generated when people do those types of things will encourage him to do it the right way.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, would buy again. Flat love my TE511 that i have used for most everything.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    How about tilling your garden? Mixing Margaritas? Would you use it for that? :confused:
  13. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Trenching! Yes
    Dangermouse449 and Tinken like this.
  14. TE in RC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    98-ATK 605 2011-TE250
    Since when is 44 old?:cool: I am 50 now and am having a blast on my Husky.
    I have had my 2011 TE 449 for 1 year 4 months. Never had a problem with it, my smog stuff did fall off though, FMF power core with quiet insert (sounds great). Changed gearing a little so I can lug it and would definitely buy again.
    I think you can do better on the price you stated, $7800 seems high.
  15. vtskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    r1100rt gs450
    fantastic bike! Bulletproof all around. So fun to ride and incredible on-demand power in all gears. Did I say Bulletproof?
  16. J.R.43 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    Jeff..check your PM. Happy buying!
  17. Aaron727 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    ltz400, honda CT70
    ive had my 2012 TE449 for about a year and a half now. and absolutely love it ill never get rid of it. i did the fmf power core 4 exhaust, jd tuner, power up, and ditched the smog stuff. it runs amazing and its probably the best 450 motor on the market IMHO! would never get rid of it but if i did it would only be to get another!!!
  18. Husqmarkus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250x Yama, 2010 Tiger 1050
    No, I would not buy one again.
  19. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Helps with a full reply. Why wouldn't you?
  20. Husqmarkus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250x Yama, 2010 Tiger 1050
    I would be happy to give you a full list of reasons why I would not buy again; but on this forum it will not be well received -- PM'd you...