bolt insert spinning in frame. suggestions??

Discussion in '610/630' started by bensl, Aug 13, 2012.

1. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    when trying to remove the side panel on my 610, the bolt started spinning and would not turn out. i managed to get it out but the little insert the bolt sits in is actually spinning in the frame (see piccy).

any ideas how to recitfy this?

[IMG]

cheers
  2. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Call Halls and talk to the guys in the shop, they will tell you how to fix it and send you what you need to do so. Did you just put the LV on? It looks nice and new! The straps really mar up the pipe after awhile. I wish I coated mine with something to prevent that. Are you happy with that tire? It looks like the stock Karoo? I got ride of mine after the 2nd time out! Anyhow, hope you can fix that insert/boss.
  3. huzar Husqvarna
    B Class

And while we're at it, any suggestions for dealing with a spinning bolt insert in plastic? One of the ones in the rear half of the airbox is loose and spins when I try and back out the bolt...
  4. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    thanks lunger. being in Oz makes giving Halls a call more difficult than normal but i will see if i can get them somehow.

Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it themselves?

btw, the photo is just one i dragged off the net. my bike looks nowhere near as tidy as that!
  5. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
  6. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

I deal with these spinning rivnuts at work all the time. Yes, there is special tools to repair it. But just thread a nut onto the oringinal bolt or one with longer threads. Screw it into the rivnut about 6-8 threads. Now hold the bolt so it does not move and tighten the nut against the rivnut. What you are doing is pulling the threads and rivnut tight against the subframe material.

Video showing what is happening in the above procedure, might make my instuctions more clear:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPhGIaPCVs
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I bought a riv-nut tool and expanded the insert that was installed from the factory. The factory didn't expand the insert enough. Search threads on this topic and you will see a link to the tool set I posted about a year ago.
  8. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    Well that was a disaster! I tried Kirby's trick but the nut just ended up stripping the bolt and didn't tighten the rivnut at all.

I will search for the other threads and see what i can find.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Rubber well nut. They're cheap, they work and they stop the rattling side panels.

[IMG]
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  11. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Available at Lowes in the pull out bin drawers... I just bought a bunch for my wetbike.
  12. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry your efforts did not go well. Hope the rivnut is salvagable.