spun shroud/airbox nuts......anyone have a suggestion?

Discussion in '610/630' started by FasYankee, Jul 25, 2012.

1. FasYankee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    BOOM!
    Well, finally got my 630 back from the dealer........it......runs, starts hard now, instead of the usual 2-3 revolutions of the motor to fire, it takes a good couple of seconds to catch up......

Anyway, as soon as I get home I notice that the breather vent hose on the valve cover hasn't been re-connected.....and the clamp is missing. I figure no biggie, it's $0.40 at the hardware store for a clamp, and it should take 5 minutes right? Well I get the clamp, and for some reason the hose no longer reaches to the vent tube......

Ok, so now it's going to take a little more than 5 minutes....out comes the 8mm socket, take the right shroud off the tank (noticing that the bolt in the front is just dangling there, maybe 2-3 threads in, not even hand tight).....over to the left, and the shop monkeys have overtightened one of the shroud bolts, and now the inserted nut is just spinning in the tank......fantastic.....

So, still being the patient person that I am, I figure that I'll just leave that shroud on and remove the tank......

Over to the airbox, I get all the bolts out until the last one, and lo-and-behold, another over tightened bolt, with an inserted nut spinning in the airbox......

As rediculous as this is, adding to the fact that the bike was there for almost 2 months trying to figure out the problem(....see other thread....) I still can't ride the bike, but I'd really rather just fix it myself than bring it the 1 hour trip to the dealer, only to wait again.....

Anyone have a method of getting those bolts out without ruining the tank/airbox?

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get replacements, seeing that for routine maintenance, I'm going to need to have the ability to remove the tank/airbox on a regular basis.

I don't like to be a whiny bitch, but I'm really disgusted at the way the bike was returned to me after what was supposed to be warrantee service. The tank/shroud on the right has a new scratch/gouge on the right side, the exhaust cans look like they were handled by greasy hands and never wiped down, there's a gouge in the red paint on the valve cover, not to mention the unconnected vent hose and the bolt in the shroud that wasn't even hand tight.......

You'd think that after he saw my R1 that I traded in he'd have recognized that I keep my stuff 110%, and I expect it to be returned that way if I leave it for service (if this wasn't warantee, I would have done the work myself).

Sorry for the rant, I really only need to know if you guys have a suggestion for removing these things, I'd love to be able to ride the bike that I paid for, instead of looking at an empty space in the garage, or having it strew across the shop in pieces......
  2. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
    you would think in this economy that top notch service would be a no brainer...we've had two Honda dealerships in the area close within the last few months...I'd be very frustrated as well!

Sorry, didn't help you on the spinning nutserts issue, there are some good threads on this problem...
  3. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
  4. boxofish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Had the same issue fresh from the shop, pulled off the airbox as someone had mentioned in the other thread then after several hours in the freezer, cordless drill and a nut driver, I was able to get them off. Amazing what can happen when you bring your bike into the shop eh? I'm getting more and more reluctant to bring mine back there...