Big announcement for me - AJP motorcycles

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Aug 27, 2014.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yeh but a bita extra torque never goes astray!:thumbsup: not sure how these bikes will go over here for prices theyre selling at(well the top of the line pr5 anyway). getting close to mainstream bike prices here($9K). im sure the smaller/cheaper bikes will sell thouh. getting plenty of advertising in magazines here so good luck to em, more brands/choices the better. yor bike looks sweet with pipe & graphics mate. those rocks in ya photos look like awesome fun!!!:cheers:
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have 1400 miles on mine and can say this bike is underpriced. It has nothing to apologize for and works better than many other "mainstream" bikes out of the crate. Once you ride one you will get it. I was not prepared for how good it is. The suspension and handling are as good or better than anything I have sampled. My buddy Travis with the KTM350 LOVES my PR5 and said many times it works better than his bike and I agree. His is faster HP wise but everything else is better / easier on the AJP except his brakes are better (that to me is the one spot it needs an upgrade which the 2015's got but still are no brembos). He is immediately faster on my PR5. He spent a whole day on it and really likes it. Buddy Adam with a TE310 tried to trade me his WR250 and TE310 for a PR5 after riding it. He freaking loves it. Buddy Blake with a decked out CR165 spent a whole day on it and proclaimed it he was faster in the tight stuff on it and was the first bike he had ridden in this particular place he said he felt like he could ride correctly on. (odd place with odd soil and tight). Buddy Scott is a A class dude, bought a PR5 from me and is going to race it in the time keeper enduro series this year over his stable of new Yamahas. He is a two time time keeper enduro champ in the A class. The bike is no joke and the price being so low might just be hurting where people place it. As more people ride these you will keep hearing the same story of how easy they are to ride, how good the suspension and handling are etc. Gary from Knoxville enduro bought one and is reporting he loves it and the handling and suspension are amazing. He is coming off a Beta and this is going to now be his bike for the year. You have to see and ride one to get it.

Another new PR5 customers comments from my AJP forum...

Last saturday I was able to get out in some more familiar terrain with the PR5. A mix of fire roads, slick single track and TKO type stuff. My first impression of the bike was that the suspension was very soft and I was not sure if I liked that. But we immediately hit a rocky uphill and the bike was so impressive how it went through it, you really don't feel a thing and the bike goes straight. Motor was feeling better as the day went on, and found that as long as you used even a little throttle, the motor won't stall. Later we got to the up hill rock gardens and in the past I would try and pick the best way through, and the bike would usually go where ever it wanted to anyway, but with the AJP I just went straight up the middle no matter how big the rocks were and the bike did it. I kept thinking that I should not be able to ride that way, but I will take it if the AJP is going to let me do it.
    The off idle stumble is getting better with a little more time, but I feel like it is a little lean and Scott the importer says they working at the factory to make improved maps for the EFI which is good to hear.
    I am not usually a fire road kamikaze, but I found this bike likes to go fast, and I feel comfortable going fast on it, which has never been the case before. From mid range on up, this bike feels like it rips, especially for an enduro bike. Scott also confirmed it has a different map that kicks in around half throttle, and that is what it feels like. Bike is a little heavier feeling in the real tight stuff than the Beta 250 2t which is understandable, but I will get used to it, especially as good as the suspension feels and how well it turns in the faster stuff.
    I have it setting on a stand with the side covers off now, and it looks like a pretty exotic piece of equipment, not a cheap entry level dirt bike that I thought it was going to be. I am liking it, and maybe the big 5 or 6 better watch their backs...

I want to clarify the off idle stumble is only on occasion, and as the bike gets more time it is happening less. I am comparing it to Betas which are carbureted flawlessly, so I may be more picky than most. There may be a difference in our gas here compared to what they use in Europe. But with the performance exhaust tip in, I believe it is on the lean side and the factory is working on making upgrades to make the bike run perfectly. AJP's dedication to making the bikes perfect bodes well for the future, and I am seeing these bikes not just as a inexpensive bike that comes with sacrifices, but a bike that can compete head to head with the best while costing significantly less.
  3. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I'll take an easy 2 stroke over a 290. Something like the KTM Freeride 250 R motor. Small, torquey, quiet. Nice.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yep, me too (CR250 and CR165 huskys for me) until I rode this... Changed my whole perception. I was done with 4 strokes for the tighter stuff, now its all I want to ride. Try one, it might change your mind. Also go ride a freeride 250, its not what you think, the motor has very odd power with no power valve and small pipe. Buddy here has one and is disappointed with it.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have a demo bike here if anyone wants to come take me up on a ride.
    Dangermouse449 and LandofMotards like this.
  6. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I meant a 2T motor tuned for torque in the AJP PR5 frame. That Freeride motor is supposedly a torque machine. Doesn't have a power valve, and so on. I'm kinda soured on 4Ts because of the TCO. 2 strokes are just so much easier to own and work on for the average Joe woods rider (not racer).
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Agree with everything you say... until I got this bike. Maintenance is silly easy. Holds 2 quarts of oil (unheard of these days) and has long change intervals. Valves are threaded adjusters, very easy to check and have very long intervals. Take a 8mm wrench and about 15 minutes to do. At 1400 miles they are still spot on. Has a counterbalancer and is ultra smooth. Is not a high strung, high compression finicky stall master most MX based bikes are these days. No pipe to smash. No oil to buy or mix. Air filter is up high, seems to stay clean and is crazy easy to service. The bike needs nearly nothing to maintain it. This is 180 from where I was before getting this thing, I completely get what you are saying. The motor is crazy forgiving, has lots to torque, does not stall and is super easy to ride. If you ever get up this way please come ride it.
  8. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I will. I still like the concept and I am still interested in introducing them down here. I think they would be very popular. I see so many guys with 450s riding single track over here. Most of them can hardly get on them since the bikes are so tall. The quandary will be dispelling the lack of manliness factor in the 250. :rolleyes:
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thats the fun part. Just put it out front and everyone shuts up. Same with the 125/144/165 bikes. I like the perceived underdog status. Fun. Like the 125 based bikes it is not the first choice for hammering fast dez but when it is 1-4th gear woods it is really hard to beat.
  10. JRW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Tiger 800 XC
    When is a street legal AJP due?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    All the bikes are street legal in europe and included all the switchgear and lights but not USA legal. This makes it simple to get a plate in many states like Washington. As for factory street legal there is work happening on that but not sure if and when that will happen. In about a year the PR7 light weight adventure bike will be here and street legal. Thats going to be a very cool and useful bike.

PR7

[IMG]
    Kam1 likes this.
  12. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    If they could get the pr7 here in numbers and keep the price to reasonable levels it would sell like crazy. Theres sucha need for bike like this. Theres basically what the ktm 690(overpriced and impoosible to find) and the klr 650(junk if you ask me and yes I rode a new one). Nothing in between
  13. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    The 690 enduro is hard to find these days. Heck they didn't have one at the Chicago motorcycle show. Ktm said they didn't want to have one there if the dealers can't keep them in stock. Strange logic but ok I guess...
    the next closest bike to the pr7 would be the DR650. But being aircooled, 360 pounds and a very poor suspension it doesn't really match up evenly imho
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The PR7 will be huge. Should be here in about a year.
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Need to start checking the ajp forum again. Really like the pr7 and a pr5 sounds like a ton of low maintenance fun :). I had a wr250x and miss it like crazy. It was nice to just ride and not worry about maintenance as much :) don't feel any faster on my TE either. Not to mention that pr5 is about 50 pounds lighter :)
  16. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Have you topped it out yet? How fast will it go with stock sprockets?
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The PR5 impresses me more every ride. Its a great bike and ideal for trail riding. So easy to get along with, handles great, has an excellent motor. Several people have bought them and are reporting the same thing, they are loving them. It will cruze about 45 and top out about 70. I geared mine 2 teeth taller and might go up one more so mine cruzes at 50 easy and will do the most technical stuff so 1st is still plenty low.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So did a nice hard hammer down 55 mile ride yesterday. Brand spanking new Beta 300RR, husky 310, husky 165 (125 with kit) and my AJP PR5. The guy on his 310 is a slower rider but real good. The three others, myself included are semi fast guys and pretty evenly matched. I had zero issues leading or staying on the rear wheel of the 165 and beta. I swapped with the Beta dude, very nice bike. His comments were "man, if I can get my suspension to work as good as yours I will be stoked" the stock suspension on the AJP is a good bit better. they both have sachs but my AJP forks are several levels higher spec with DCL coating and preload adjusters and work far better. He was also very surprised by the motor and how much power it has and how usable and linear it is. He loved his Beta and I thought it was very nice as well. The motor is crazy fast as you would expect from a brand new 300cc 2 stroke. there were three loose hills he struggled on and one he had to take a second try at all of which I walked right up. The smooth controllable power on the PR5 makes it a hill climbing beast. A Class racer buddy Scott who bought a AJP PR5 from me and races a fleet of YZ and YZFs states the same thing about how it climbs and is going to race the local time keeper enduro series and Idaho City ISDE Qualifier on his PR5 this year!!! The PR5 is way more bike than people give it credit for. Several things made me like the AJP better than the Beta. Vibration, brick seat, semi harsh suspension, needs a bigger tank, handling. The only place I felt the Beta was better was with the brakes and my PR5 is getting upgraded to the 2015 components which are VERY good. Well the Beta makes WAY more power but for me this is not an advantage. The PR5 in comparison offers very compliant suspension, very nice seat, smaller feel, very usable motor that climbs better than most bikes. In the end I was pretty happy how a 6K bike works just as good and in several areas better than the 8500 beta. I am in no way knocking the Beta, liked it a lot as did the owner. I am 50 years old and the guys I was dicing it up with are more like 30. I felt really good and I was very happy to be railing my 2 thousand dollar less AJP along at the same rate as 20 year younger guys on the top equipment offered. Lots of great machines out there, happy I get to ride a lot of them and compare. Was a great day with great friends riding hammer down and wheel to wheel for 55 miles. BTW the Beta rolled back to the truck with about a teaspoon of fuel left. It holds 2.5. My AJP had about .3-.4 gallons left and only holds 2 gallons. The PR5 is getting about 35 MPG in pretty hard riding. I have done a lot of rides with a lot of people and bikes now and it is obvious to me and those that have sampled the AJP it has nothing to make excuses for and rivals the best bikes out there for anyone not at the pro level.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Man Kelly I love your red and white husky jersey and grey beard but if that's 50 I'm checking out...lol
    justintendo and 454x like this.
  20. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    You know that's all poison oak where you're sitting :oldman: