Been kinda quite here, so

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mysery1, Jan 3, 2019.

1. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    The photo is what led me to the water pump conclusion/suspicion:
    I first thought "oh no head gasket!"
    But no coolant in oil or vise-versa.
    I pulled the B&B bash plate & chunky foam insulation pad & noticed the weeping from the notorious hole under the pump housing. I'm guessing/hoping the pump seals have failed or were not installed correctly when replaced during a warranty claim back in 2013.
    Note to self, remove bash plate regularly to check weep hole and replace coolant more often. That bash plate pad prevents from frequent inspection of that weep hole.

Attached Files:

2. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Social distancing, beer, tools and a what could go wrong attitude.
    View attachment 100948 IMG_20200426_150115934_HDR.jpg IMG_20200426_150152708_HDR.jpg
    Just waiting on my license plate hanger/bracket to show up. Still haven't found turn signals I like.

Attached Files:

3. Bikerdude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR, Versys,DL1000 Suzuki,
  4. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Thanks, skate board wheels from a local shop.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  5. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Got my plate holder mounted and now to find turn signals I like. Then again I forget to use them about half the time and when I do there is the issue of me leaving them on. Turn signals, I don't need no stinkin turn signals.
    IMG_20200429_173449971.png IMG_20200429_175735662 (1).png
    teamkitty likes this.
  6. teamkitty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '75 Suzuki GT185, '67 Ducati Sebring
    That looks great! Assuming you just cut down the stock plastic fender and added a couple of small brackets for the plate? What about the seat lock.

I installed a tidy tail last week and it was more fiddly than I thought to get it all back together. It probably weighs 3-4x as much as the plastic too. But, I was bored and happy with the way it turned out. I like your custom job more though - nice work.
  7. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Yeah I cut down the stock plastic fender and added a piece of plastic underneath. I moved the seat lock to the left side. I had to plastic weld the hole from my first attempt, it was to low and I couldn't turn the key far enough. Please excuse all the dirt and grease, next on the list is a good cleaning. IMG_20200426_150133415_HDR.jpg
    teamkitty likes this.
  8. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Added rear turn signals.

IMG_20200513_074859476.jpg IMG_20200513_074910177.jpg

9. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Those won't fly in some states but, in my state I see UTV's on the state hwy. and anything on the county roads.
  10. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Hay Bloke How did you get on? Good point I've just changed the coolant for the 4th time since 2013. With same stuff, on the can it says 7 years, ha.
  11. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've got new water pump seals delivered.
    I decided to fill the coolant system with de-mineralized water and run that for a while and check regularly for ingress of oil.
    I'm pretty sure it's something funky happening with the water pump seals setup.
    PaulC likes this.
  12. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Wanted to be able to take my Tenkara rods and gear with me when I was out riding. Never know when the chance to do a little fishing might present itself. Took an old fly rod tube and cut it down to the size I needed and attached an adjustable strap. Now if I can find a pair of comfortable boots that work for both riding and fishing. IMG_20200628_122410584.jpg IMG_20200628_123229632.jpg IMG_20200628_123243171.jpg
    P-A Calmhede likes this.
  13. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Got the bike inspected today, no issues.
  14. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Haven't got to do much riding this spring due to allergies, about as bad as I can remember. Today was in the mid 70's and I was feeling good so I checked out the bike and off I went. Had a nice ride and was headed home and about a mile from the house coming around a curve when I felt rear tire going flat. It wasn't a blowout but I didn't get about 200' before it was fiat. Called the wife and she came with the truck, ramp and stuff to get me home. Still was a good day all things considered.
    PaulC likes this.
  15. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    So I finally got around to getting new tires. The old ones were Q3+ with 5500 miles and were toast. I decided to go with dunlop mutants even though I really liked the Q3's. Mutant tires for a mutant bike. I went with 170 mutant on the rear which is narrower than the 160 Q3+ that it replaced, go figure. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet, hopefully tomorrow as I need to get it inspected. While I was changing the rear I did a tubeless conversion to the rear wheel as the front is already done.
    IMG_20210831_212959646.jpg IMG_20210831_213032009.jpg
    [IMG][/IMG]
  16. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Did it checkout ok?
  17. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    IMG_2675[1].JPG IMG_2674[1].JPG
    Paul it's a weird thing.
    After that episode I ran the de-mineralized water for a while and nothing.
    I did some research into fitting the new pump seals and discovered it's quite a bit more involved than I first thought to do it properly. There is a shortcut hack that I didn't like the sound of at all.
    So I decided to flush again and fill with orange propylene glycol coolant. No issues since.
    Go figure?
    mag00 and PaulC like this.