Been kinda quite here, so

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mysery1, Jan 3, 2019.

1. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Not that it matters much but I put a 5" wide rim on my Strada with a Dunlap Q3+ 160/60-17 and all I had to do was trim the chain guard a little bit. And no there isn't any chain rub. [IMG]
    [IMG]
    mag00, duibhceK and Dirtdame like this.
  2. F150Motocrosser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '92 WXC360, '13 Strada, '14 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTMs, Suzuki, misc vintage Hondas
    Nice!... Any pics of the whole bike with the new shoes??
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

What rim? Who made it where to buy? Powdercoated?
  4. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Excel takasago 17 x 5.00 rim, 36 hole. I have seen it on Amazon but I just sent my hub to Woody's wheel Works and had them lace it up. I had my hub powder coated red locally and Woodys had the rim powder coated on there end. The red is T009-RD03 and matches the red of valve cover. Just to let you know I don't find the powder coating to be as durable as some people say it is.
  5. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Good to know. I have been looking for a 3 or 4 by 18. I can't find one. Buchanan will custom make one, but I don't particularly like the configuration. I like yours.

So, is your front wheel done too? Do you have a glamour shot of the bike?
    Adsun likes this.
  6. Adsun Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Only one bike at a time for me.
    I'd like to see some photos of this bike too.
    CarstenB likes this.
  7. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Here you go.
    IMG_rear.jpg IMG_20190311_162344234_HDR.jpg IMG_20190313_141426460_HDR.jpg
    Adsun, NH-JP, mag00 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Adsun Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Only one bike at a time for me.
  9. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    So I ended up with forks from a DRZ400sm and to much time on my hands. I got my calipers and tape measure out and after a few measurements decided I could fit them to the Strada. The DRZ forks are 3" longer but that's okay because of 17" tire I run up front. Pulled the forks and triple trees off and took the triples to a local machine shop. I had to have 1mm (.039") removed from the bores of the upper triple tree and .5mm (.019") from the lower. I didn't see a need to replace triple tree stem bearings as they looked and felt fine. Cleaned and greased the bearings and installed triples and forks and torqued everything to spec. I decided to stay with my wheel setup and use a axle from a DRZ that I got off ebay. Had to replace the wheel hub bearings and spacer due to the DRZ axle having a larger diameter than the Husky, 20mm versus 17mm. Found nonstandard bearings in the size I needed, 40 x 20 x 12, cut a 20mm id spacer to length and installed. Would like to have kept the Husky brake caliper but I just couldn't see a way to do it. Bought a DRZ brake caliper and rebuild kit off of ebay. Cleaned, rebuilt, new pads and installed the brake caliper and bled. With the wheel and brake caliper on and lined up I measured for my spacers. With spacers cut to length and installed I torqued the axle nut and pinch bolts to spec. I installed the fork guards and abs sensor and was ready for a ride. I've put about 100 miles on it so far and it's so much better. Now I just need to find a 310mm brake disc that will fit my hub. Should I've just sold the bike and bought something else like a Ducati Hypermotard or a Aprillia Dorsoduro? Probably, but where's the fun in that.
    IMG_20190708_114320498.jpg IMG_20190708_114408769.jpg
    Ziggy, Adsun and NH-JP like this.
  10. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    Did you change anything inside the DRZ forks? The TR is a bit more portly than the skinny DRZ.
    Adsun likes this.
  11. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Not at this time. This came about because I found and bought a set of Race Tech prepped forks and shock for my weight that I installed on my 2016 DRZ400sm. I always found the suspension on the Strada to be lacking for the type of riding I do. In about 100 miles I have found the stock DRZ forks a big improvement over the Strada's oem forks. I'll need to ride it some more and make some adjustments before I think about any internal changes.
    Adsun likes this.
  12. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    So here I go again, custom floating 310mm rotor.
    IMG_20200220_114900884.jpg
    Ziggy likes this.
  13. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    Nice! Those are some weird buttons on the disc carrier. So, zero degree off set using the drz forks (just like stock), and the Nissan caliper is about the same size as the Brembo? It definitely looks badass, does it stop any different?
  14. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    It's a "dampened" floating disc, not supposed to rattle. It does feel a little more snug. It was the same price at the time as their standard floating disc so I thought why not. Waiting on new brake pads and the weather to improve so I can bed everything in. With the Nissan caliper and the original Strada disc the braking was pretty much the same except I didn't have full pad contact, 298 mm vs 310 mm, and was only an issue if I got on the brakes hard. That only happened once thankfully. I'm hoping for some improvement now that I have full pad contact and the larger disc.
  15. 1moretoy Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom 1000; KLR 650
    Sweet set-up on your Strada! Any chance you would sell the stock rims? Bought a Terra last fall and looking for a 19”/17” alloy wheel set.
  16. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    BMW wheels slot right in. details:
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59381&postcount=36

Ebay, Hallelujah! Which also included a near-new 21" front wheel off a BMW G650GS Sertao.

[IMG]

Quite some height difference...A 19" "road"-hoop mounted on the Strada's cast wheel...with a Mitas07 on the 21" BMW wheel next to it.
    The wheels are interchangeable without any further parts.

[IMG]

Converting a Terra-to-Strada (who would, but W-)) only takes a set of BMW F700GS / G650GS wheels. Brake discs, ABS rings, spacers, axles....everything fits, just slot it in and bolt it up.

Pretty much the same the other way around, but with a far bigger range of choice of BMW wire- wheels in the 17/21 dimensions.
    Grab a set of wire- wheels from any F650 Dakar or G650Sertao....or any 17"rears from an F650GS 2002 onwards. If it's got an ABS ring, it'll fit perfectly, nothing else needed.
    The Husky-Strada ABS gets a bit flighty on the 18" rears.... even the factory-ABS Terra's (there were only a few of those that came into AUS) came with a 17" BMW rear wheel.

The BMW 21" front wire-wheels come with a 1.6" wide Behr rim for 90/90/21 sized rubber.
    The Husky 21" front rim is a 1.8" width, taking 90/90 as well as 100/90 width tyres.
    Ziggy, 1moretoy and PaulC like this.
  17. 1moretoy Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom 1000; KLR 650
    Thanks for the info! Been watching eBay for BMW wheels for awhile. Some in Russia,Germany and Italy but hoping for a set to come up in the U.S. May have to ship overseas in the end. Wanting two sets of wheels to preserve my rapidly wearing tkc80’s for off road, and a bit nervous cranking thru twisties on tubed tires. I ride asphalt 80% of the time.
  18. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Found this today on my Strada while I was doing something else. Installed 3 new rivets but had to be careful as there is less than .200 between the mounting plate and the fuel cell.

image.jpg

IMG_20200407_183516596.jpg
  19. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Thanks for the reminder... another one of those typical TR-issues. Had forgotten about that one.
    Better have a look right away.

Edit: 2 out of 3 missing, dangling around on the last rivet.
    Thanks again for the heads up!

bike time
    shed time
    tool time
    good time!!
    :cheers:
  20. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Water pump time. Have the seals now but is the pump shaft worn?
    Been trolling on the 650GS forums to eddycate myself.....