Beast Mode - WR500 Yamaha

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Motosportz, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

BASS :) Brake Activated Suspension System
    robertaccio likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So I worked on it some tonight and got it where I think I am going to take it for a ride tomorrow. Bike actually feels good riding it around. Comfortable, does not feel heavy, gobs of instant wheelies if wanted. Like most big bore 2 strokes you ride them a gear or two high and then they feel like 4 strokes with a bunch of smoother grunt. Rev it much past the lower mid and things get weird fast and the bike buzzes you to let you know that pain is in your near future. It starts crazy easy, thats refreshing as I thought the opposite was going to be true. The clutch pull is smooth and relatively light as well, another bonus I was not expecting. Other than the rowdy obnoxious motor the bike feels pretty modern. Its a weird blend of old and new like a Buell :) Going to be fun to ride.
    Cosmokenney and robertaccio like this.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    its all about the bass bout the bass...........oh crap that was bad.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    yes it was LOL BASS was only around for a year or three like in 86ish
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I survived it. :) And the bike started first kick and ran great all day and did not lose any parts or brake anything including me. Success. I have been riding the AJP PR5 almost exclusively for the last 1500 miles of trail. It is s docile 30hp surgical scalpel. This bike is pretty much the complete opposite of that. Vibrates like crazy, makes stupid power everywhere and is much bigger and much less scalpel feeling. That said it surprised me how well it worked after adapting to it. The motor, while having about 30 more HP than I need can be made to be quite useful in the tight woods if you ride it 2-3 gears high and ride it at about 400 rpm. It is nearly impossible to stall and will pull hard from walking speed in 4th. So the smart thing to do is ride tight trail in 4th and just grunt it around. Doing so yields some very good results. It feels like it has an autoclutch and you hardly ever need to use the clutch at all. Took a while to reset all my thinking on how to ride and adapt to this new scenario. After I sorted how to ride the motor the rest of the bike is actually pretty good. It handles a little Yamaha slow but also was surprisingly flickable in the tight stuff. Brakes are very good. The suspension while acceptable needs some love. The forks will get new oil at the correct level ASAP. They worked OK but feel new oil at the right level might make them much better. No idea whats in there now. The rear suspension feels OK but the biggest hinderance to this whole experience was the rear tire. It has a half gone Kenda southwick (which I have hated in the past) with a old moose bib in it. Its probably the worst rear tire setup I have ever used. Feels flat on smooth stuff and feels like a solid fork lift tire when it hits stuff and deflects like CRAZY. Swapping this out for a real tire and tube is going to be huge on this bike. I got the rear suspension to work OK but with that tire and moose it is never going to be close to right. That rear tire and the saggy footpegs were the biggest issues. Just addressing those is going to make the bike far better. The motor makes crazy good power everywhere and I tried to keep it in the low end almost all day. The mid and top are nearly uncontrollable on the trails we rode. Even in the more open areas is was a lot. The vibs are a lot but as I rode it way down low they really did not both me to much. The ergonomics and feel of the bike are semi modern and work fine. So in the end I had fun on it, kept my pecking order in the group (Yz250 / GG250) and felt good on it given the few things that need addressed. My arms felt much more worked, it drank a lot of fuel, and I hated the rear tire but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. I'll fix the rear tire and footpeg issues ASAP and might ride it again sunday. I'd really like to try a Lectron on this bike. Fun stuff.

[IMG]

Buddy Travis had a big gash in his front tire so changed that before we left...

[IMG]

Blakes sexy GG. He just installed a Lectron he got from me and LOVED it. bike gained bottom and mid, runs smoother, and got way better milage.

[IMG]

Was a beautiful day...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    well K i got bad news your new bike [WR] and my bike [KDX250] made Tom Webbs list of the 6 worst bikes ever DB 5/15 guess we better find some suckers and unload those pigs quick had the the DX for 18 years never knew it was bad it was last on the list dose that mean its the best of the bad?:thumbsup::lol::lol:
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not the best bike ever but far from the worst I have ridden.
  8. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Looking at that bike and those pics makes me want to grab my boots and helmet and throw a leg over it. Great find! Lectronize it and a big MotoZ ST on the rear :thumbsup:
  9. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I wish I was able to collect big bore 2t dirt bikes. I wish they continued to develop them & have a pro moto class for them.
    trailboss likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just got in form working on it this evening. New footpegs, new rear tire, tube and rimlock. Correct MX front plate. New fork oil. There was zero static sag and only 3 inches of ride sag. Dropped it to 4 inches and static is right were it needs to be. Lectron ordered. Going to be so much better next ride. Looking forward to it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    454x, trailboss and juicypips like this.
  11. mtdirtbag Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 300RR
    Indications are that white tie straps are the hot ticket for side plates - reliable sources have passed on to me that it's good for at least a half second off per half mile of tight woods riding :cheers:
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    There is just something about a simple air cooled 2 stroke in a modern frame...
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    bet it would sell if somebody would build it i have often wondered:thinking: IT425G motor/ late model YZ250 frame with all the cool old IT goodies lights,speedo, center stand,skidplate, quick change wheels /cam type axle adjusters ,maybe even a toolbag:thumbsup:
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I was misguided then as I asked around and everyone feels the black zipties are faster. Will have to try both. I am running the red powerband though.
    shawbagga likes this.
  15. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Taking my son out today. He loves the old IT.
    troy deck and trailboss like this.
  16. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Holy Linkage Batman!
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    looks like i mite not be the only one who likes the way i think :banana:hay K watup witduh RMZ/YZ:excuseme:
    454x likes this.
  18. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '89 Yamaha TDR250, '01 ATK 605
    Always was intrigued by these WR500's. An absolute time capsule turned up on my local craigslist a few weeks ago, guy was asking $3000 obo which seems a bit strong for a 23 year old dirt bike that not too many seem to care about. It didn't last long though and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it. Not to mention by the time I get my '92 WXC 360 where I want it to be I'm sure I'll be approaching the $3000 mark. Good luck with that beast!
  19. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250

B.A.S.S.- Brake Activated Suspension System. Most guys unhooked it.
  20. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250

Oops! Guess I should have looked at page two before I posted!