1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Are the new Huskys more reliable than the Italian models?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MotoXImage, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Happy to say that after replacing the defective valve spring, adjusting the valves and fixing the decompression actuator on the cam, the bike runs better than ever. I did clean up the ports, install new valve seals and clean the head and piston since I was in there. The bike went about 200 miles first time out and no problems at all. Now I finally know how good of a bike it is. I don't want to sell it but I'll use some of the money on mods for my new bike.
    Johnrg and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    That is great news!

do you think you picked up an extra hp or two? is it easy to start? how much did a single spring cost (and is it still titanium)?

next time I'm down in Big Bear/Arrowhead, I'm looking forward to the nickle tour. ...of course- last time I was there was 35 years ago on a big fire, so don't hold your breath :oldman:.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  3. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    I'm sure it's more than a couple of HP. Best part is that it pulls better from the bottom to the top and revs further. Much more fun. The springs come as a set, I think they were around $40.
    If your down this way there's plenty of Dual Sport or Greeen Sticker trails to ride on all day and the next day or two.
    Buster714, juicypips and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  4. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    It was 200 cc before, maybe 175cc....
  5. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Yours had the actuator pin in backward too?
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    ? hmmm. I'm semi-lost I guess.

oh wait. nvm I got it now. I may end up taking a Big Bear/Lk Arrowhead tour someday.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  7. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    No but I am trying to estimate compression loss on your bike and rely it to engine size. What is your estimate? Higher ?
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I gotta cut down on my postings when I come out of the bar (hic). sheesh.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  9. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    No way, if your at Hangtown, I'll buy the next Beer.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  10. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    I forgot to mention that braking power increased after the decompression fix. In some ways, downhill braking on slippery conditions was actually slightly better before the fix.
    juicypips likes this.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wow- Hangtown is a pretty long drive for you (400 miles maybe?). I'd take you up on that beer... but I don't think I'm making it this year (it's about 250 miles for me).

Of course, if you're flying, that's another story. And if you are flying, consider Washougal- airfare to PDX is about the same as SAC and the track is about 30-45 mins from the airport guessing.

Bet you miss the nationals at Glen Helen!
    MotoXImage likes this.
  12. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Doing the drive to Hangtown since I'll be up there anyway for my daughters graduation.
    I'm planning on riding the FE 350 down to Glen Helen. It's 95% trail. If you see a guy riding a Husky FE out there on the track it's me, not Anderson.
    Seriously, haven't raced Glen Helen since 96 and I'm afraid to do it again and ignite the race mode still lurking inside me.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  13. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Yes, higher as in more like a 250. It's not as much as you'd think. I gained more power switching from the 4pt injector/JD Jetting combo to the 12pt and PC5 than the decompression fix.
  14. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    250 but like in kawi klx. This can be estimated once we know what is the compression reduction.
  15. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You could always make a case to do Last Dog Standing....
    MotoXImage likes this.
  16. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    After 1,890 miles on my 2017 FE 350 I only have one problem and it came from the factory with a defect in the rear brake pad or rotor (minor). It was gouged from the get go. Not sure what happened. Other than that, zero problems. Oh yeah, don't get 10% of the compliments from strangers as the 2011 TE310 did.

Compare that to the TE310. It's decompression actuator which was 180° off from the factory (major). Had a fuel pump fail (major) and starter replaced within 500 miles and would sometimes not wind fast enough to start when hot, had to kick (major). Had some sort of electrical problem with the connector to the starter relay that had to be zip ty'd tight to charge (minor). At apx 2,200 miles a valve spring broke (major)

From my experience the Italian Huskies were less reliable than the new KTM made ones. Hopefully most Italian Husky owners have had less issues than I did. If your in the market for a new bike, hopefully I've anwered your query as to reliability. As for the all important fun factor. Though I still love my 2011, I have to admit, the 2017 is slightly heavier and slightly less flickable, but it is much more powerful, better suspended, less flexing and more fun and IMO, more reliable.
    Teambowles likes this.
  17. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    This post is flawed as is.

....mainly 'cause I want an FE350. hah. (best bike out there, though)

but I will say my '14 310 has not had any problems in 5600miles (250+hrs 95% dirt). it's still running strong although, I might detect a slight-slight power loss. And while the plastic's design hasn't changed much in the last 10 years (or more really- if you go back to the blue and yellow era) I think it holds up very well. ('cept for the front fender, I guess. blah)

hey MXI- check back in to the Italian section every once in a while... EURine-Peeing has left the building. good to hear from you.
    Teambowles and MotoXImage like this.
  18. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    LMAO, first thing I saw in the email notice was, "This post is flawed as is.
    You got me. Still LMAO.
    BTW, if you Nor Cal guys ever make it down this way, check in. If you want a torture ride, ok, pleasure trails, yep, short loop or 180 round trip mostly dirt, it's happening.
    Teambowles and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  19. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I actually wouldn't mind doing Lucerne Valley, around the Giant Rock, then up to Fawnskin/Big Bear- ...just to say I did a Big Bear.

I imagine it'd be mostly be roads nowadays though.
    gaz and MotoXImage like this.
  20. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Whether it's roads or trails depends on the riders skillset. By far, most of my long distance trips, 90 mile way are 85% dirt. If your beat, other 70% road options are avaiable for return.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.