1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Anyone with tip's on jetting 82,430xc...

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by glacierburst76, Apr 13, 2009.

1. HuskyT Moderator

Why can't I be that damn lucky?

Congrats on the steal.... i'm sure LeftCoastLeftkicker or Picklito will give you an earfull

T
  2. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you go to the Mossbarger website they have jetting tips for their reeds.
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Well that IS very lucky!! But no, I can't give you any jetting advice for the Mossbarger. I never used one on a 430. I have tried the Boyesen dual stage reeds (when they were available for a 430) and they made a nice little improvement to bottom end, and needed just a one step richer pilot than what was working with the stock reeds.
  4. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

I think boyesen reeds are more robust then vforce.
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the update! I like the title of your post... But is it really bragging if you're just "accurately reporting" the result? Good job flying the Husky flag!!

No big deal that it won't run an R4. Give the motor what it wants. But then you mention a hanging idle. I agree with you, that's usually a sign of being lean. Even though it occurs at idle, it's usually not the pilot jet. More likely, it's getting hot where you're doing most of your running, up in the needle or needle jet ranges. Then, when you close the throttle, the otherwise correct pilot jet appears too lean because of the excessive heat. The idle eventually comes down when the heat dissipates. I'd go bigger. Did you try R2 or R0 before jumping back to Q8? What clip did you run with the Q8?

By the way - notice in my last post that I'll be trying an R2 next time I'm at that altitude? We're not that far off, really.

Also, how are you determining your main jet size?
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK, that's the part I wanted to hear because main jets are funny critters. Good on ya! And you do that on an MX track, right? So you're probably holding it for a few seconds then shutting down, and you want it to pull cleanly when you do that. Perfect. But, like I said, they're funny critters...

If we did that at WOT on a sea level dry lake bed things would be different. Throw some big-enough-to-blubber main in there and take off, and just keeeeeeeeeeep holding it... after a while... it's not blubbering any more!! Pull the plug and it's white! It takes a while for these motors to show their true heat on a long pull. On an MX track you can get away with a bit smaller main because you want it clean "right here right now" when you wick it out of a corner. I ran a 480 to 500 main in my original 430 back in 82, because all we did was long, high speed desert. Anything smaller and the plug would get scary white!! I wouldn't need it that big for MX, nor for the slower high altitude I ride now. Currently at 450.
  7. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Picklito,
    what gas to oil ratio are you running?

Also are you running pump gas?

Vm 38 round slide carb with stock reed block? (not a Mossberger)
  8. Zim Husqvarna
    A Class

I was chasing what I thought was a jetting problem on my 420 Auto,it would not pull the main so down I went till I was getting very worry ed,it ended up being a missing reed petal,interesting comments re the main in the desert,the boys that race Fink,big race in Alice Springs would go HUGE on the main in the sand
  9. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:

I'm running 50:1 Champion Waterpumper oil. It's an older oil that's getting hard to find (mail ordering it from Chaparral). But I keep buying it because I've used it since the mid 80's (was called Duralube) and reliability and engine cleanliness have been fantastic. Once in a while I run Maxima 927, honestly just for that awesome castor smell... so vintage. I also run pump gas in the 430, best I can find locally, which is usually Chevron or Texaco 91. Those seem fine. Yes, it's a stock Mikuni VM38SS round slide with stock reed cage.

The key for these engines seems to be in getting the deck height/squish right, which varied a lot in the factory build. Most were too wide. That's safe, but kills the power and makes them run ratty down low. But some were way too close (there's a 1981 factory service bulletin about 81 430's smacking the piston against the head - I've got one of those motors with the top ring pinched by the pounded ring groove). That and good timing and good jetting and they really come alive. I've been so happy with that that I haven't done a lot of other mods besides port matching and cleanup. Well, I have used the Boyesen reeds like I said above, but that's about it.
  10. sbeec Husqvarna
    C Class

This is good reading !! My 430 carb was set back in '83 with some mods and it ran great all the time!! Now though - after my rebuild and the mechanic went through the carb- I don't think that it's set up the same as when he took it apart.
    My bike now only gets about 35-40 miles to the tank where before it would easily get around 50-55 miles. I don't know what is different so this is great info. Thanks!!
  11. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    different jetting for different areas - correct

I concur, different jetting for different areas,i'm in NJ @ Sea level & my
    82 430CR has this;

2.0 slide
    50 pilot
    340 main
    1 turn on air screw
    stock needle (i believe)
    needle clip position at the top

Runs awesome, easy to start (for a Husky :D )

won plenty of drag races :thumbsup: with some YZ 465's

later
    John
  12. Dave J Husqvarna
    AA Class

posting this reply to move this thread, with all this jetting info to go with the seizing 430 thread
  13. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Does this jetting hold true with the Mossbarger reed block....??

I raced the '82 430 yesterday (15 Deg C at sea level) and she was not clean off the bottom at all.

I only know she has a 420 Main jet as I can't read the pilot, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the pilot should go down 1-2 and the main should go up 1-2 sizes when using the mossbarger ?

Any help appreciated
  14. rajobigguy Administrator

I would start with the factory settings intially. I guess that Mossbarger is trying to keep the reeds from getting to loaded up (wet) at low speeds and make up the difference on the main which kinda of makes sense but every bike and riding condition is a little different so if you start form the factory settings and then make small adjustments you can evaluate weather or not it's an improvement.
  15. Sladep Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 XC430, 2016 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX220R (2000&2004),08 Honda GL1800
    Hi guys,
    Used to race an '81 430CR, and a couple weeks ago picked up an '82 430XC. Great to be part of an esteemed family! Does anyone have any of the following they could share with a Husky brutha? 1) Factory spec sheet for an '82 430XC, 2) Factory service manual, 3) Tech bulletins? I am starting from scratch and having a difficult time getting hold of any of these. Many thanks in advance!

Slade
    720-388-0708
    sladeputman@yahoo.com
  16. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09