1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Anyone with tip's on jetting 82,430xc...

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by glacierburst76, Apr 13, 2009.

1. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

Does anyone have any tip's on jetting for my 82 430xc? Owner's manual say's R-4 needle jet, 450 main jet, needle 6 DH 3, 2.0 slide. It's flat in mid power band. Thought it was low on compression (2 kick's 180's psi). So with a new STD sleeve,OEM piston,OEM ring, OEM rod, OEM bearing's for top end. New Boysen reed's. Fresh NGK BR8EG, To replace stock bosch W4C. Still Flat threw mid power band. Any tip's or info will be great.
  2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Oooh. 430 stuff... I love 430 stuff!!

Sounds like a nice thorough rebuild and GREAT compression. First, you didn't mention what clip position you're running (stock was 4th from top - too rich, but if it's been leaned out too much it will get weak). Second, did it have this problem before the rebuild? Third, it could be lots of things. Stock jetting was rich everywhere except the main jet (which was too lean for a WFO sand wash run... if you do that sort of thing), and there was a screen in that bike's spark arrestor that the rich jetting clogged up pretty quickly. Then there was NO power and LOTS of heat trapped in the motor. Bad Bad Bad. By now, that screen may have been removed, but it's worth checking that the silencer is free flowing. Mine also broke the silencer core right in two, one end turned sideways partially blocking the silencer, and it took me FOREVER to find that problem... so now I ALWAYS put "clogged silencer" on any "where'd my power go" checklist!! Also, on bikes this old, you never know if someone messed with the ignition timing. Those old ignitions do work best with a non-resistor plug (regular B8ES or B8EG would be fine, gap .024") but I'd have a hard time blaming this particular problem on having a resistor plug.

For jetting at sea level try 40 pilot, 3.0 slide, 6DH3 in middle clip, R-4 and 480 main. Air screw 2.0 turns out from lightly seated.
  3. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

Great info!!!

Thank you for info, Sound's like you know these 430's well. Yup flat mid power band before rebuild. I think the carb on my bike was of a 250WR? Since it was jetted like this. 45 pilot jet, Q-8, 440 main, 6F21 Clip 2 from top, 32:1 mix. So I ordered R-4 NJ, 450 MJ, needle 6DH3, with 2.0 Slide. I think I have a 3.0 slide off my 420 auto in shed. I will order a 480 main in give it a try. I think my local autozone sale's that NGK B8ES $2.09. I checked the silencer no screen or blockage. Need's to be repacked. I need to replace pipe and silencer. Just can't seem to track one down. I will post my results soon. If 450 main jet doesn't do the job, I'll try the 480 with 3.0 slide.
  4. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

45 to 40 pilot jet?

Every husky I own has a 45 pilot jet. Should I change that to a 40 on the 430XC?
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Picklito is now a happy man !! More 430 lovers in the forum.......!:thumbsup:
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, Picklito is very happy.

Glacier - #45 may be fine in any particular bike/climate/fuel setup. There's no magic number. Let the bike tell you what it needs.

Looking at your current jetting... it's kinda all over the map! I'm not a 250 guy, but that does sound more typical of where the 250's were. No problem - there's nothing "250" about that carb. It will work fine once you get 430 jets in it. Until your new jets come in, why dontcha try raising the needle one step by lowering the clip. See if it's better, or worse. You may be lean in the half throttle range with that setup. And those $2 plugs... those are the ones! If you spend just a couple bucks more and get the B8EG you get a finer wire electrode. Makes it a very tiny bit cleaner at low rpm, and resists fouling better, but once you get the jetting right you won't be fouling plugs anyway, right?
  7. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

I moved clip (up) raised needle to last set. It's cleaner at low RPM, Power curve's flat. Then I moved clip down 3 raising needle (as you said). In the power curve is wicked! But run's slugish at low RPM. I think with right jetting (430 jett's). I'll fined the sweet spot. I'm pretty good on finding that right jetting on bike's. This 430 for me, has been tricky. I PM'd you with my email. Thank's again for info.
  8. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool... you verified that it was too lean at mid-throttle settings. Now it's rich down low, probably due to the 45 pilot and 2.0 slide.
    A 40 and 3.0 will help.

Also, one reason you had to raise the needle all the way... the Q-8 needle jet is lean. Next step would be to start going richer on the needle jet and try to find one so that the needle can be closer to the middle position. And doing so will also help clean up the bottom. The R-4/6DH3 should get you back toward the middle.
  9. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

Ok just got off the bike, Clip set at 2/r-4/6DH3 2.0 slide 45 pilot/450 main. Air screw 2 turns out from set. Clean and pulls front end up so easy. Has very little skip at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. The power band has never been so clean/ power curve is longer. The 40 pilot/480 main was to rich for some reason. I hope now with this new jetting bike doesn't run to lean/hot. Thank you again for all the great info Picklito. If it does run hot, I'll go with 480 main with clip set at 3. Also I ran a B8EGV they had no B8EG. I started jetting with B8ES. Found the right jetting in then ran B8EGV at 24 air gap great tip!
  10. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Glad that's working out for you.

Now I just ran my 430 up at 3-4000 feet this weekend and my sea level jetting was way too rich. Plus it was pretty warm out and that makes it even richer. I had to drop the needle all the way and it wasn't quite far enough for this location. Ran 35 pilot, 3.0 slide, 6DH3-1, R-4, 470 main. Interesting that it still ran clean on the main jet at that altitude. I'll need to go to a smaller needle jet to get the needle back toward middle... with the big R-4 I'm out of clips!
  11. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oops... addendum needed.

I went to install the leaner needle jet this afternoon and found that the one in there was badly worn and ovalled out. It's a rookie mistake for sure! I put that carb together with used parts, and let a worn needle jet sneak it's way in there. I've got some jet drills (I don't drill jets, by the way, never works without some pretty accurate fixtures which I don't have, but they still help with sizing). Found a size that was sloppy loose in the worn needle jet, but wouldn't pass through a lower hour R-4, so I put that one in there 'till a new one arrives. We'll try that again this weekend and see how she works! I'll post a follow-up after the weekend.
  12. rajobigguy Administrator

I have all the factory jetting specs. if any one wants them but it sounds like you guys have everything under control.
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Huskydoggg,
    Yes, that's a 480-series needle jet, but you'll more commonly see them listed as series 166. And here's a GREAT place to get Mikuni and Keihin parts:

http://www.psep.biz/

His prices are good and he still sells individual jets (whereas most other shops have gone to the "must buy a 4-pack" thingy).
  14. rajobigguy Administrator

As per Husky T's request I'm posting the factory jetting for the 430.
    Mikuni 38mm.
    Main...............430
    Needle jet.......Q-8
    Idle jet...........45
    Needle pos......#4
    Air jet............2.0
    Throttle.........2.0
    Needle...........6DH3
    Air screw opening
    from bottom...1.5

Hope that is helpful for anyone needing a base line to start from.:thumbsup:
  15. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

Cool great info.. I noticed there are a lot of different jetting spec's. My owners manual shows stock jetting as...

Main 450
    Needle R-4
    Idle jet 45
    Needle pos #2
    Slide 2.0
    Air jet 2.0
    Needle 6DH3
    1.5-2.5 from set on air screw.

Just goes to show that there are different jetting for driven location's of bike.
  16. glacierburst76 Husqvarna
    B Class

I found this jetting is a good starting point
    Main 450
    Needle R-4
    Idle jet 45
    Needle pos #2
    Slide 2.0
    Air jet 2.0
    Needle 6DH3
    1.5-2.5 from set on air screw.
    for 3500-4000 around 75-85 deg. Under that I run a 480 jet. For me I think that 430 main jet would be to lean for my ridding style. Long half throttle riding in 90-100 deg temp. The best thing I found, If your serious about jetting? Get a jetting kit from http://www.psep.biz/. Get out there in start rich and work your way down. Ask lot's of ? Here on from's. Ask Picklito this guy knows he's 430......Thanks again...
  17. HuskiHoons Husqvarna
    B Class

hey guys Iam one of the huskihoons we have just signed up that is a choice thread may have a 83 wr430 in the pipeline and that info will help us out heaps, running a 83 xc250 at moment its a wicked little iron
    Cheers:thumbsup:
  18. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    You may recall that I had a badly worn R-4 messing up my jetting. Well... Got a "real" R-4 in there this weekend and all is well again.

Trails were 2000-4000 feet, temp about 60 degrees. With a 35 pilot, 3.0 slide, 6DH3-2, R-4, 450 main, performance was fantastic!! A 40 pilot and slightly smaller needle jet might have been even better. I might try that next time out, but this time I was just having too much fun to spend it jetting!!! Those 430 motors are incredible.
  19. HuskyT Moderator

20. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Great info.
    Hey I picked up a extra 430 cylinder on e-bay and had a surprise. It had a Mossbarger reed cage on it.
    They claim it had 30% better fuel flow.
    Anyone have experience here?? What jetting do you think might have to be changed on my 430??

Thanks
    Gary