Anyone ever heard of this? Cam sprocket bolts came loose....

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by Rot Box, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Hello everyone I'm new here. Great forum from the looks of it :) Some of you might recignize me from ATK motorsports or Thumper Talk, but anyway Long story short I traded my incredibly nice--built for single track 2002 CR250R for a clapped out and rode into the ground 2002 TE570 for no apparent reason other than I thought the Husqvarna was cool lol. After a nightmare and a LOT of time and money spent rebuilding near every inch of the chassis (blown bearings, worn out parts etc.) and removing the lowering kit in the front and rear shocks and giving it a valve adjustment I was finally able to take it for a ride today.

After about a half hour of riding I was very impressed with my new bike and I really started to think it was worth the trade... Thats when the motor started to loose power :( I headed for home when I should have shut it off and pushed it because it instantly locked up solid :0.

Upon taking the valve cover off I found 1 of the 2 cam sprocket bolts (the allens that bolt the cam sprocket to the cam) had come violently loose and lodged itself into the cylinder after it had scraped off a decent amount of aluminum. The other bolt was finger tight. At this point the treads in the cam look great and other than a bunch of shavings I think I can clean out the top and bottom end then put it back together I'm not seeing any major damage at all.

What I'm wondering is if you guy's have ever heard of this happening? The po claimed he has owned the bike most of its life and was the second owner and neither him or the first owner had ever had the topend and the rest of the engine apart.... The cam and rockers do look like they are in excellent shape... He said he had put a lot of miles on it a week before I bought it.
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Did the screws have lock washers on them ? They are supposed to be installed with the bearing retainer loctite, I think the number is 670 and it is green. Anything less and they will come out over time.
  3. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Thanks for the reply :) I didn't see any sign of loctite but they did have the lock washers. I wasn't sure what to do and sadly I don't have a manual yet so I just replaced the bolts/washers and added red loctite. Should I pull it back down and instal the green stuff? I know there's a big difference in the two, but maybe red will be just fine? What do you think? Thanks for the help,

Andrew
  4. MendoForest Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1995 Husqvarna 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '02 YZ 426, '82 CR 480, '93 FXDL
    just took apart my '95 610 and same thing..... both had backed out and she died :-(
  5. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Sorry to hear and I replied in your thread. This happened to my friends 2000 TE610 as well... At this point I would recomend that anyone with a 410-610 pull their cam sprocket bolts and add some green or red loc-tite and make sure they are torqued properly. This really does some damage!
  6. powerwheelie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    570, 510
    Oh, you mean it was looking like this?
    [IMG]

[IMG]

:o
  7. Flying Aga Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE350/610 convert
    Just bought a 610 engine to fit into an old 350 I had sat around.

Torquing up and loctite-ing those bolts will be the first thing I do!!

What is the torque setting you use?

Also what are the valve clearance settings? Will be checking that.

Cheers,

Byron
  8. powerwheelie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    570, 510
    Hello Byron, sorry don´t know from the top of my head. But it´s all in the service manual that you may find online. There´s a thread on here with a whole collection of sm.
  9. wrenchinremo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390 OR, Silver streak, 2 500 XC's,
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 KTM 495, 510 TX, WXC 610
    This poorly assembled issue happened on my '84 510 TX the bolts had only been finger tightened at the factory.. They did a recall and fixed my engine under warranty. It made terrible noise from the first kick. You'd think after 10 plus years they'd have simpley solved this "small" problem. What happened to the European craftsmen we've heard so much about? My '95 WXC 610 had the same problem. The lock washers are flimsy cheap junk. When the bolts became loose the star washers cracked in half and fell away, causing even more clearance between the bolt heads & the cam sprocket. I caught mine before major damage occurred. Just ovaled the holes in the sprocket a tiny bit. I was lucky!!!
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would use the sleeve retainer loctite, it is green and will not come apart.
  11. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
  12. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I know this thread is a couple years old but reading this I just could not let it go. The parts fiche does not specify any lock washers on the cam gear:

Part fiche cam sprocket bolts.png

Tell me where you see lock washers in that picture?

Additionally, assuming you have tightened the bolts to their correct torque 25 newton metres, dunno what in ft lb, blue threadlock should suffice, doesn't specifically need to be Locktite, that is just a brand.
  13. Jens Ries Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC 500 83/84
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi le mans 2 1979
    Looks like isn t new ... loose screws at my TC 610/93, but had luck and fixed them again at checking the head nut tourqe.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are confusing the competition motor with the dual sport engine. Look at this doc for the comp motor http://www.halls-cycles.com/images/PDF/Husqvarna .PDFs/1998-2004/2000/00_410-610.pdf. Be sure you are comparing the same stuff. Just look for the E at the end of the model TE 610 compared to TE 610 E. That is why the competition model was changed to a 570 its last couple of years, to avoid this confusion. I would also say that blue Loctite is insufficient on the competition model due to the lack of a counter balancer the vibes are increased a lot. I know the ones I fixed with the green sleeve retainer Loctite did not have this problem any more.
  15. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Indeed, I just did a search for "610 cam chain rattle" and thus I didn't realise that this wasn't in the 610 section. Well spotted.
  16. Squish Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 410 (1999)
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 570 EXC
    So, it seems I am the latest victim of having this happen. 1999 TE 410 - screws came loose, actually ground a hole through the top cover before jamming, bending the top timing chain gear, and breaking the timing chain.

To that end I am desperately searching for an upper timing chain gear (which is no longer made) and associated screws - it is part number 8000 76461. I know that it's the same from '97 till 2000 TE 410's. Don't know outside of those dates.

If anyone is parting out a bike or happens to have a spare upper gear kicking around please (please please!) let me know.

I have the engine out, split, cleaned, and am just being held up by this one gear. It's driving me crazy!