1999 TE610 went out with a bang

Discussion in '610/630' started by Sandnes, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    (posted this on thumpertalk as well, before I found this place just now)

I just got the bike last weekend, and yesterday was my first "real" ride other than cruising the neighborhood.
    It was a blast, the bike had massive amounts of power, I can't remember the last time I had that much fun with a bike [IMG]

But as I was riding home, it made a slight clunk in a corner, followed by a very short misfire, like a heart missing a beat and then continuing as if nothing was wrong.
    Four minutes later, it made another sound, this time a not so slight bang (which probably woke up the kids and the elderly around the county), and the engine died.
    As I came to a stop I concluded that there was a massive loss of compression, and I crossed my fingers that the plug had been shot out or that the head gasket was blown...

I arranged to bring the bike home, but couldn't get around to messing too much with it yesterday.
    The plug was ok, though, and I guess the head gasket is fine as well..
    I removed the rear valve cover and checked if there was any movement as I turned the engine. Nothing. So I hit a bottle of wine and went to bed [IMG]
    I'll tear it apart later, the wine must have given me the flu or something, I'm not feeling that well :D

Does anyone know if the engine from a 2001 TE610E will fit my bike, as there is one for sale nearby?
    Mine is kicker only, left side, no battery or magic button to fire it up.

20131025_190004.jpg
    MotoXotica likes this.
  2. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    Haven't gotten around to more than draining the oil yet, but I certainly don't like what I saw.
    I expected the orange shavings to not be there on such an old bike, and the other shavings looked very fresh, as if they were made just yesterday.

20131026_152228.jpg 20131026_155257.jpg
  3. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    Go home, cam chain, you're drunk! 20131026_220827.jpg

The chain was not the only drunken part, the cam gear, water tunnel and the cam itself were pretty tipsy... Totally wasted, actually!
    20131026_225014.jpg

The gear had almost punched through it.
    20131026_225055.jpg

Something tells me I have to order a new gear as well...

20131026_225142.jpg
  4. Huskyfatman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ouch! Shavings look pretty ugly. You might want to move this over to the "older single cam" section. This section is geared more for the left chain e start bikes. The e start engines are way different, and the chain is on the opposite side as the kick start bikes. Any 92 to 2000 350/410/610 non e start should bolt up plus the '01 and '02 570. You'd need a smaller carb for a 350/400/410. Good parts sources are Uptite, Motoxotica, & Bills, in the west, and Halls in the East.
    Sandnes likes this.
  5. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    Thank you, I got some great information in your post :)
    Unfortunately I'm so new here that when I post, it doesn't show right away, it is (manually?) moderated before publishing.
    You'll notice there will pop up a post #3 with more pictures between your reply and my first two posts :)
  6. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    I'd appreciate it if a moderator could move this thread to the forum for older single cam bikes :)
  7. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    Don't want to start another thread with the same content in the older single cam section, hoping a mod will read this and move it to the right place :)

Question about setting the timing when I get all the parts:
    Does it matter if the piston is at TDC on the exhaust stroke or compression stroke, or is there no difference between them when the engine is not running?
    I cannot find any markings on the lower gears on the left side, only a dot on the cam gear (is that supposed to be flush with engine casing rearwards, forwards or pointing straight up?)
    The alternator seems to line up at the same place through two cycles of the engine, so I assume I don't have to worry about what is exhaust and what is not.
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You will need to time it on the compression stroke.
  9. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    Starting to lose hope on this one...
    Got almost all the new parts, and went to a buddys place to assemble the new cam shaft.
    The gear had such a tight fit that we managed to bend it slightly when we tried pressing it on... booo :(
    Not sure how that will go.

In case it'll fail instantly, I'm browsing ebay for replacement cam shafts that are assembled, and I can only find two:
    one from a TE - but it's missing the decomp.
    one from a TC.

Does anyone know if I can use any of those, i.e. TE cam shaft without decomp, or the TC cam shaft.
    The parts catalogue lists separate parts for the TE and TC cam shafts (8000-73150 for the TE, 8000-75780 for the TC)
    To add to my confusion, the TE part has a note of 'wu' next to it, meaning "TE-model, US only", and the TC part has a 'c' next to it, meaning "TC-model".
    So, nothing for my european TE then...?

I'm tired and confused and I really want to push the bike off a bridge.
    While it's on fire.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The TE model cam is the one in your bike. The WU next to the part number has 2 different meanings "TE Model" and also "US only" which actually just means us models.
    Sandnes likes this.
  11. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Also when you get to assemble the cam gear use a "sleeve retainer" loctite on the threads to prevent what happened to you. I do wonder if the previous owner did some work and didn't use thread locker on the cam bolts.
    Sandnes likes this.
  12. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    Thank you :) Yes, he did some work, and I'm quite sure he forgot the loctite.
    In fact, not one nut or bolt I have touched on it has traces of loctite on them...

I ended up bying a top end off ebay, just to find that someone at some point in time had drilled new holes in the cam gear and rotated it 10-15 degrees...
    Not sure what good that did to the bike it was on, but I think I'll use those parts as a paper weight :)

I think I have enough parts to finally get around to putting it together now, I just need the time to do it.
  13. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    I almost didn't think I'd hear it run ever again, but I finally got around to fixing it :)
    Now I need to fix some leaks due to old rubber hoses... that should be a bit easier..

JonDirt likes this.
  14. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    You valves sound like they need adjustment, or the cam chain is slapping a ton.

It's a noisy engine, but not THAT noisy.
    Sandnes likes this.
  15. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    I definitely need to check on the valves again ;)
    The chain is new, I'll pull the cam chain tensioner and have a look, but I certainly hope it's good.

The bike sounds a little bit better now that I've changed its oil five times - lots of debris came out during the first three flushes...
    Or, I should say it sounds cleaner, the noise is easier to identify.
    If the chain is toast already, I'll just have to wait for a replacement that I have had on order since November :)
  16. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    I noticed my auto tensioner didn't have enough spring pressure to adjust in to what I felt was enough tension. So I gave it an extra click manually, and it still has a good amount of slack in it. But it made the engine a lot quieter.
    Flynn likes this.
  17. Sandnes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 TE610
    I adjusted the valves, they were 15 intake and 20 exhaust, and I set them to 10 and 15.
    I might have gotten them a bit too tight now, though, as it got harder to start...
    Pulled the left engine cover off to have a feel at the cam chain, and it was tight. Tried to fire it up with more slack just to see if it made a difference, but judging by my now angry neighbors, the noise was still the same :)

This bike is like having a moody girlfriend.