Any sightings yet?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Scootskipper, May 3, 2010.

1. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks LRPct, have mailed them to ask whether the skidplate and the heat shields fit the 630. Although it looks as if the bike might have to go back (the noisey whine coming from the direction of the clutch is getting louder).
  2. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The guy in the yellow was the truck driver. I have a hilarious story about that, too. They were scheduled to deliver it at 3:30. I left work at 2:45 to get home for the delivery. I live about 10-15 minutes away from work. So, there I am, at home, washing my lunch dishes, just waiting around for the delivery. DING! I have an email on my phone. I check it, and it's from Steve at Hall's. I'll paraphrase...

Steve: bike shipper called, they want to schedule delivery but can't get a hold of you

Instant panic. The bike that I've waited so long for might not come today!

DING! I suddenly have two voicemails. My phone never rang. I check them, and it's the truck dispatcher, and the truck driver, trying to contact me. They can't find my house (it's new construction and doesn't show up on GPS systems with old-ish maps).

I try to call the shipper back. My call won't go through. I look at my phone and there's no signal. Normally, I have a full strength signal at my house. I'm getting email on the phone via my wifi connection. I have no land line. If my cell goes out, I can't make phone calls. Great.

I email Steve: my phone has no signal, can you call them for me?

Steve: sure, no problem.

So, Steve is playing the middle man, relaying messages between the shipper and I. I find out where the driver is (about 5 minutes away from my house) and tell them I'm on my way. I found the truck, and had him follow me to my house. YAY!

The torture device is just a fancy reusable pallet with casters on it. I believe it's owned by the trucking company.

Correct. It's an Uptite 610 skidplate. The only issue I see with it so far is the plate might have to be removed in order to change the oil. The sides are partially blocking access to the oil filter and/or screen covers. I might be able to get them off without removing the skidplate. I'll just have to find out when I change the oil.

You're tellin' me! I sold my ZX-10R in mid April and have been waiting for the 630 ever since.

I've had the bike 24 hours, and already have about 320-350 miles on it. Last night, I rode it to bike night in Sioux City, IA (about 100 miles away). The trip back was late at night, and the route is fairly close to the Missouri River, so I was just coated in bug guts by the time I got home. I've cleaned my gear. The bike is still filthy. I'm going on a mountain bike ride with my sister here in a little bit, so the bike will have to wait. I'm also going to give it its first oil change today or tomorrow. When I break in bikes, I like to run them a little and then make the first oil change nice and early, to clean out any shavings that might be in there.

The oil screen cover is leaking a little oil, leaving about a quarter sized spot on the ground when the bike sits over night. It's probably just not tight enough. I'll address that when I change the oil here in the next day or so.

I also have some condensation inside the gauge cluster. I don't know if that's normal or not.

The bike also seems to die fairly easily, almost as if the idle isn't set high enough, even though the idle is set exactly where it should be (1650 RPM). It might just be because the engine is new and tight. If you're running at fairly high rpms and just pull the clutch, the dip in RPMs goes slightly below idle speed for a second, before coming back up. All of my bikes have done that, so it's normal. However, on this bike, sometimes it's low enough to kill the engine.

I'm still getting used to starting it and holding that "starting device" (that's what the manual calls it :lol:). It's a little lever above the clutch lever. When you hold it in, the RPMs run slightly higher. My ZX-10R used to just do that automatically. What does that lever do, anyway?

Neutral is tricky to find, but I'm getting the hang of it.
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I haven't done any exact calculations, but just by my estimates, I'm getting about 55 MPG.
  4. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Now Problem.. Just FYI.. It s alot easier and quicker just to call George there listed at the # under contact.

And JTEMPLE. You will infact have to drop the skidplate to pull the filter, it also makes less of a mess that way too. That's why George made it so easy and quick to do, about 2 minutes to drop it...
  5. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Yep, you're right. I just pulled the skidplate to do it and it was a piece of cake.

I have an oil leak, too :(

I think I've found it, I'll put pics up later. I tightened up the bolts
    around the leak a tad, but they were already pretty snug.
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The oil leak is around the oil pump gasket. Hall's is sending me a new gasket, free of charge.

The "starting device" is just the fast idle lever.

Hall's suggested turning the idle up a tad to fix the stalling issue.
  7. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Many Huskies seem to stall at low RPM's when new and tight, especially before being PUed. A lil higher idle defintely helps.
  8. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    That's what I figured. I'll let it run in a little then back it off some.

I changed the oil at about 350 miles and was pretty shocked at all the metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug, and all the gasket chunks in the screens. I've heard it's normal for these bikes.
  9. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    Glad that you finally got it! I'll be watching to see how you do with it.
  10. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    So far, I love it. It's no 160 HP superbike. But, it's no-nonsense, and just plain fun to ride.

It has been raining like crazy here and I have no rain gear. All my MX gear is on order. Aside from a couple of gravel roads, I've been riding on the street, getting soaking wet.
  11. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Now I'm not exactly sure if the leak is coming from the oil pump cover, or the right side engine case cover. Torque specs on the oil pump cover is 5 ft-lbs. Assuming the engine case covers are the same, I went around them with my torque wrench, discovering that quite a few of them were low (3-4 ft-lbs). I torqued them to 5 ft-lbs. Let's see if that clears up the seepage.
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Also, the magnetic drain plug seems to have to be tightened WAY down in order to not leak oil. Is that normal?
  13. mlyamkaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not on mine, sounds like mine isn't normal though...Check your sprocket bolts, mine got loose in a hurry. So did a lot of other fasteners.
  14. rajobigguy Administrator

There is supposed to be a copper washer on the plug, check you're oil drain pan and make sure it didn't sneak it's way off without you seeing it.
  15. rajobigguy Administrator

A little loctite on the sprocket bolts is a good idea. Motor mount bolts can benefit from this as well.
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Definitely see if there's a copper washer on that. If not match it up down at Home Depot with one (or find the one that's lost...in the oil maybe). Over-tightening and stripping it is a pain.
  17. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    That could be. I don't remember seeing a washer on the big plug at all. Hall's is sending me washers for both plugs.