Antifreeze!

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 17, 2012.

1. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    Just did the flush x4 and refill. Used Nulon blue Type A . All free from silicates phosphates etc.
    Burp it with radiator cap off standing vertical and with a few side to side shakes and hose hitting. Cool ,repeat. Have something to do between heat and cooling. ( Paenang chichen curry was my choice)
    When stable and cool fill to top of radiator cap. and fill in small amounts to overflow as it is heating. When hot you can shine a torch down overflow inlet to see level. The high low panel externally is useless . Even with blue coloured coolant.
    Get the level near maximum when engine is hot so as not to draw in air as it cools. Took me all day in 10 mins episodes 2-3 hrs apart to flush to clear (distilled) water x4 and refill. Finally filled withfinal coolant the next morning.. Runs sweet now. Yes a bit OCD..but I can now sleep well>
    PaulC likes this.
  2. abcfgh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found a fix for this? Mine drips in exactly the same way that poovs has pictured. It appears to come from the cap and drips out, yielding some white splotches on top of the radiator, around the fan shroud, valve cover and surrounding area.

My bike has just over 7k miles and doesn't lose a massive amount of coolant, but maybe like 50ml every 500 miles if I had to guess.

Before anyone suggests it, the water pump has already been replaced about 1k miles ago. I caught it weeping (slightly) when I bought the bike used from it's original owner.

Some people suggest there isn't a good seal between the overflow/expansion cap and the tank because of the plastic trim in between? Does some sort of o-ring help? Where did you find/size it? Or is it simply vaporizing from the top of the pinhole in the cap and leaking down, which sounds unfixable/inevitable.

Advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Ok The cooling system is simple once you know.
    Step 1, Have you replaced your cap? Mine was faulty from the factory. They can be intermittent also. =$10.
    Step 2, Is there any air in the top tank? When cold. Where do you add the 50ml?
    Step 3,
  4. abcfgh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

Hi Paul, thanks for the response. Just to be clear, was it your coolant overflow reservoir/tank cap or your radiator cap which was faulty?

By air in the top tank, are you referring to the coolant overflow reservoir/tank? I mean it's at the full line so there would be air inside haha.
  5. abcfgh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I bought this o-ring in the plumbing section of Home Depot for $2. Surprisingly it fits perfectly inside the little recess of the overflow tank cap. Feels good when tightening.

Thus far no drips after some hooning hooning, but I'll have to report back more definitively after some more miles.

For reference, I've attached the o-ring I bought from Home Depot. Hope it helps somebody!

Attached Files:

6. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

All good mate keep on hooning!