Antifreeze!

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    My Italian is rusty, and the translators are off because of dialect. He is leaking antifreeze from a screw in the plastic near the radiator cap. It may be under warranty, I don't know. I don't like using water, it runs at too high of pressure and causes too many problems, but he is in Italy and might be all that he can use. :excuseme:
    PaulC likes this.
  2. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    OK I ran this past a bloke at work who speaks italian to his parents at home, and this is what he came up with

Something about a mechanic adding liquid in the blue tub/container and he doesn't know what liquid as the mechanics in his area don't explain things and if you ask questions they think you're a ball breaker (rompipalle = ball breaker). So he's noticed that there's some liquid leaking from the overflow container from the screw on the container... this next bit gets confusing.... this screw holds the piece where you can find the container's tap and he doesn't want to tighten the screw too much incase he splits the plastic (?)
    he has to verify this and check the warranty.
    he then asks if you understood.. If he can he'll try and take a photo and send it tonight
    so you can understand which screw he's talking about
    there's a bit at the start which I didn't understand... "Ho controllato dopo il tagliando"
    he checked something after the "tagliando" that word means cutting and I don't understand in what context he's using that word

I think he's talking about the screw which mounts the overflow container, (philips head underneath the fluid level window). Sounds like the overflow pipe might be leaking. I looked on my bike and that area is so cluttered it's impossible to see what's going on without removing all the plastics on the LHS.
  3. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    The screw is what you said. The part where it attaches to the water pan can see without removing the hulls.
    looking out from under. you will see the attack of the pipe to the radiator pruning. close and you will see the anointed indicted. sorry again for my terrible English

La vite è quella che hai detto tu. La parte dove si attacca alla vaschetta dell'acqua la puoi vedere senza smontare le carene.
    guarda da sotto. vedrai l'attacco del tubo che pota al radiatore. e vicino vedrai il unto incriminato. scusate ancora per il mio terribile inglese.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Its ok, it really is. I wish others would fill in their location too, thanks for doing so.
  5. William Clark Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 yamaha rt100 (sons bike)
    My Husky Is Brand new...2 days old and it has a little bit of clear liquid in the overflow tank. I had to us a flashlight to see it. Not even enough to hit the Min Mark when the bike is cold. should i check again after it has warmed up? seems like there should be more... not sure tho as i am new to bikes.
  6. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    Just like on mine. Check bleed the radiator. only after it has been drained well brings the level of waste between minimum and maximum

Esattamente come sulla mia. Verifica lo spurgo del radiatore. solo dopo averlo spurgato bene porta il livello della vaschetta di recupero tra minimo e massimo
  7. NorthnTerraTory Husqvarna
    A Class

Darwin,Northern Territory,The Top End of Australia
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Have you 'burped' it yet? If not you should do that now while there is no coolant in the overflow tank, otherwise you will lose it all when burping it anyway. Trust me, I know. After that you can top up the overflow with coolant. Mine was a bluish colour though ( Looking through the cap hole, not the sight glass, which you can't see through anyway!)
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    As far as checking the fluid level in the overflow tank, I've given up on trying to 'see that'. I just stick my finger down and use it as a dipstick.
  9. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    In fact, they could make the tank a little more transparent
    Coffee likes this.
  10. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    Since my purchase of a Strada, there has been coolant dripping from the lower part of the expansion bottle, seems like it was coming out of the area where the caps fits.
    So I added an 'O' ring into the cap and its a lot better but still after every ride there is a wet area where the pipe is attached to the bottle.
    I can see that if the level needs to correct itself, the coolant can only come from the top of the cap but it then just dribbles down the res tank and around the fan etc which is nice:rolleyes: In 400 miles I have had coolant loss of 400 ml but since the 'O' ring fitted, only a drip.
    My Dealer will be looking into this when she has her first service.
    Never in 11 years has my GS1100 given me any trouble, curse the modern bike design!
    abcfgh and HuskyDude like this.
  11. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    Make check where is the screw that holds the black plastic front. My loses from them
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    [IMG] [IMG]

Features & Benefits
    Its inhibitors provide maximum cooling system protection against damaging rust and corrosion. Convenient prediluted antifreeze -No need to add water. Amber color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping off. Features a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula.

[IMG]
    Glengemen likes this.
  13. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Is there a bleeder port on the near top of engine? Or is the radiator cap off good enough to drain fluid? I know of the bottom drain. Do i have to remover thermostat to get fluid out. Need some advice first attempt at it.
  14. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    I use G12 in my bikes, I have a jug of it for my AUDI and I use it on the bikes as well, costs me 6,60€ / 5L so for me it's I'll use for all !
  15. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    I used air pressure to help old coolant out. No top bleed like old 650gs. Engine ice coolant i used. Zip tie coolant looks great also.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I would steer clear of Engine ice coolant. They use water as their coolant thinner and it corrodes. Also, the water tends to boil off leaving a very viscous propylene glycol mixture which is too thick to push in power sports radiators.
  17. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Thank for info...i had black/rust on the first 5/8 inch of the drain bolt when i did my flush. From the distilled water I added to top off OEM....last year i bet.
  18. poovs Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    I am having the EXACT issue described here... new owner of bike (2 days). After my 1st 20 mile ride, noticed the pool of coolant on garage floor from sitting overnight. Appeared to be leaking from the overflow reservoir as described above (not sure if due to kinked hose in the rear, or the screw mount). Cleaned up to help identify the leak location. Took for 2nd ride (10 miles), and inspected in garage immediately... photos attached.

I'll have to pull it all apart to see if the screw used for mounting was too long? and penetrated the reservoir? or the kink in the line coming into the reservoir is the problem?
    Anyone else have this problem and fix it?
    abcfgh likes this.
  19. poovs Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    20161221_1 front.jpg 20161221_2 rear.jpg 20161221_3 rear closeup.jpg
    abcfgh likes this.
  20. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    poovs, Yes, check the tank for piercing. From memory it's easy to use the wrong screw in the wrong place. Easy fix. Or you could have just too much coolant in the expansion bottle, is another possibility