1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Another Piston Thread

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Huskynoobee, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    OK, so I researched a little here, shopped on Ebay, etc. My 250 has unknown hours and runs awesome, but when I lug it, I hear a little bit of slap/knock. Have not tested compression, runs on 50/50 110race/100llav gas mix at 35:1 Lucas syn mix oil as run by PO who knows his Huskies and is a regular here on the Cafe. It's been long enough however he can't remember what he did last time and when he did it because it was his practice bike. No biggie, it's gotta come apart at some time to look it over so all shall be revealed.

Just to be safe for the upcoming race season I'm considering just doing the top end. Hopefully it's standard bore because my first choice is a Wiseco piston which is only offered in the 66.40mm size.
    I did find that the 761M06640 is the 2 ring version and the 768M06440 is the single ring. To me 2 rings is a good thing. I will also probably spend the extra $20 for a new wrist pin bearing because it's worth the peace of mind.

If I'm in the situation where I'll need a B or larger after measuring bore, the options are Athena, Prox and Vertex. I would like to avoid a cast piston if possible/reasonable but would like to hear your experiences with these other brands while I'm still in the planning stage. Heck I'm going to ride it with my son this week so I'm not in any hurry. I haven't rebuilt a top end in a loooong time, so it's gotta be the good stuff for racing desert next year. :banana:
  2. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I used a Wossner, they are forged and have A through D sizes I beleave. Only a Wossner wrist pin bearing will work with the piston and rod. I think if memory serves me right they are the same as the KTM,s. Very good high quality piston.
    SmokeyExpress likes this.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ahh, knew I was forgetting something. Gosh they just gave holeshot awards at the last National. Thanks
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Vertex would be the first choice, measure the bore and the old piston make sure you dont need a new plating.
    No reason not to use cast.
  5. gwynfryn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr250
    Don't get hung up on cylinder size, wiseco 66.4 will work in abcd cylinder. I replace small end bearing because they are cheap and its easy. Yes go for the 2 ring piston.
    Cant think of any reason for going cast apart from quick warm up.
    SmokeyExpress likes this.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good point, thanks to Halls having the parts catalog on their site, I made an interesting discovery. The entire range of pistons from A thru F measure 66.335 to 66.365 mm. So theoretically it's true the wiseco will work in any cylinder. The only variable would be ring gap.
  7. gwynfryn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr250
    It's more than theoretically true, it's practically true.
    I'm pretty sure the wr250's only came with a,b or c cylinders. Most people can't measure that accurately!
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

All of the pistons use the same same ring regardless of letter size, so the only issue with ring gap would be when your cylinder is worn out and ready for a re plate.
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It is both practically and really true. People get stuck on the piston sizes that have a maximum size difference of .01mm thinking it is a big deal and don't look at the the reality that is way less than a 1000th of an inch, .00039 ten thousands of an inch maximum to be more exact. Good luck measuring the difference even with a micrometer.
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, I don't think i have any instruments that accurate.
  11. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I measure by eye after half a dozen cans. :)

With expansion/contraction & machining tolerances I wouldn't have thought 0.01mm would matter SFA! I am no mechanic however. Maybe 0.1mm might be an issue!
    duggoey, Huskynoobee and 454x like this.
  12. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I love vertex pistons which are cast. But if you are really prefer a forged piston the Wossner pistons are nice too.
    shawbagga likes this.
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I only got a wossner for my 300 because the 165 slugs from Walt are wossner n look beautiful(you know what I mean-almost to good to put in ya bike). No probs with the oem vertex for 100 hours each
  14. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Shawry 0.01 may not be an issue, 0.1 may cause a cold seize.
    I currently have a 93 cylinder on my bedside draw with a brand new wossner piston the reason its not in my bike is with 0.06mm clearance as stated by wossner the thing seized in four places.

Now 0.06mm may usually not be a problem but it is a steel liner so your metals now expand at different rates. 0.01 can be an issue in some curium-stances.

Measure by eye dude you will be suprised at how acurate your eyes are.
  15. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    After how many xxx cans?
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    XXXX Cans. It's summer here now so several! ;)
  17. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    Did you get a chance to replace your piston yet? My 2010 WR250 just started doing the exact same thing. When lugging at very small throttle openings Im hearing a piston slap type noise. Almost sounds like pre ignition or pinging. Went to the next richer metering rod in my Lectron and started running 50/50 av gas and pump gas. Seems to have reduced it some but not completely. Ran pump gas no problem all summer without hearing it. Compression is 185 and piston looks good looking in from exhaust and intake. Im second owner bike has 1200 miles on it. Just dont want to have a catastrophic piston failure
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's on the list this month. I still haven't checked the compression, but I can tell she's tired. I'll post up the results of the swap when I'm done. Right now I'm a long way from home...
  19. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Today it begins. Will check compression (with my new Harba Flate tester with threaded inserts) then the tear down. I'll try to remember to click some pics.

Wiseco piston kit and wrist pin bearing and Athena gasket kit should be here this week.
    juicypips likes this.
  20. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    I'd like to do my top end this winter, also. It will be my first.

I want to go the same route you did with the Wiseco.

Would you mind writing where you bought each component?

I.e., piston, rings, clips, pin - Wiseco direct?
    Small end bearing?
    Gasket kit, o-rings - Athena direct?

Your help is appreciated.
    Mike