1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Adventures with my TE310 - the beginning

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by WbCherry, Dec 20, 2011.

1. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    dried mangos are frigging delicious!

Why don't they sell them in bags, instead of making you dig through the whole can of trail mix?
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    They do! Probably at Costco. My mom keeps dropping off care packages that usually have a bag of dried mangos in them.
  3. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    Wow!
    I woke up again!

High-fives all around.
    jtemple likes this.
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  5. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    Awesome sauce.

Dealership maintenance chief agrees with George from Uptite and myself:
    Risk of puncture isn't worth an oil cooler on the 09 model, with twice the capacity of the X-lite models.
    Same about the subframe. Good enough for me, since I don't hotdog.

If it cracks, I'll download the baggage and bury it. Stand on the pegsand backpack the subframe. Rather than add an ingot per side due to poor local welders. My kickstand foot weighs about 2 pounds...

Out testing the range of my IMS tank today. (The one I don't have....)
    Getting front end wobble at 55mph or so. Not related to weight in the rear - happens regardless.
    Heavy tube in the front, prof balanced, 18 psi, Scorpion tire.
    MotorSportz steering dampener, turned full stiff.
    I think the tire is finding minor grooves in the road and setting up a harmonic walk in the tread pattern.
    deacceleration cures it.

Pulling 5500 RPM at 55mph. 15 front, 40 rear.
    Loses @ss btw there and about 6500. Then it starts to pick back up. Heavy crosswinds today and luggage isn't helping. But, expected. Was fine without the side bags...air resistance.

I'd like the rpm's lower, but...a smaller sprocket would be even more hideous offroad.
  6. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    On my phone (sorry for double post)

Thinking of carrying my compression tester to keep an eye on things.
    not very heavy. Could yield great info...helpful for readers.

Sponsorship guy won't show up for an hour...gotta go to the hospital and hobnob.
  7. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

How many miles/hours are currently on the bike?

Maintained properly & not bounced off the rev limiters, these 'big block' bikes seem to give exceptional service life compared to several other 4t brands.
  8. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    Boring highway/city video of my HORRIFIC DEATH CYCLE! when I can get it to upload.

Still loud with the "decibel killer" insert...but better than stock.
    aftermarket exhaust would be nice, but I prefer affording food.
    Probably another reason I'm gonna burn to death in Tennessee.

Chicken wings for lunch. Hope I remember the bones this time...
  9. MontyCarlo Husqvarna
    A Class

+++1e10

With all the money you've spent on farkles for this trip, I think budgeting a few bucks for a SPOT is more than appropriate. Being able to check in and let your family know you're OK in remote areas where there is no cell service is the responsible thing to do. Plus they might get some enjoyment tracking your progress through SPOT/Google Maps.
  10. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    2000 miles, 700 something hrs
    Previous owner was a dentist without time to rideit.
    before him, a military pilot that wanted something bigger.

Saved me about $2k in upgrades and factory price. How the pilot rode it is questionable. Body looked great. Taking it for top-end check sometime.
  11. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I think you mean 70 something hours. 2k miles with 700 hours is 2.86 mph avg. 28.6mph avg means he probably did a lot of pavement on it. Easy miles as long as he didn't wind it up.

FWIW, You don't have to hot dog it to break the frame if it's loaded up. Just hit a good bump. Get as much of the heavy stuff forward as much as you can with the lighter stuff in back. That will help keep the weight where it's well supported.
  12. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

If there's only 2000 miles on it & the compression is fine now, it should be fine for the duration of your trip, as it appears you won't ringing it out.

5500rpm at 55mph is a good number for the road sections.
  13. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    Yeah. I'm off by a factor of eleventeen.
    Weight is as forward as it can get - about the same position as a GiantLoop bag. Not quite the same, but close.
    Best I can do.

50t sprocket feels good for me. Took it through some boggy fields that've just been logged, on the way home. Goes slow enough that I don't feel rushed. But doesn't choke off just idling along. Very nice for my newbiness.
    Going up the Rockies will kill my gas mileage, no matter what gear I run.

Also rescued a stranded GSXRXFXRs1000oO0 mega ultra cycle rider. Didnt know he had to put it in neutral to start it. It quit on him at a stop light - filthy carbs. Didn't know he had an air filter.
    Asked where I was going on such a "little bike".
    "Testing for trip to Cali," I said.
    He wants to follow me now, like a puppy. Poor guy.

Great news!
    I got a shadowing position at the clinic run by the university I'm trying to enter!
    The very prestigious Elon, private school.
    So, the letter of recommendation will be on their own letterhead...very very nice.
    They said to expect an invitation on March 15 for an interview for acceptance!!! Woot!

What else....oh!
    The largest volume dealership in my half of the state is talking about sponsorship. Still waiting for the final meeting. Maybe tomorrow.

That's all for now. I'm still breathing. No thrown rods or shattered hubs.
  14. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    So!
    After a nap, my idea is to try to break the subframe before I leave.
    I'm planning a rock-climbing trip at Uwharrie Nat. Park, at full gear weight. More after that.

Also, I'm wondering why there hasn't been established some sort of long- distance sponsored events at amatuer level.
    There's the Baja, Dakar, Canada's Corduroy, etc. But what about the TAT? Couldn't it be a sort of offroad "cannonball run"?
    Sponsored Iron Butt rides, etc.
    Non-bracketed, so the BMW riders could have something to do besides ride to StarBucks.
    Tessier likes this.
  15. shotgun Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SMR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 XR650L
    Check this out, there are some great ideas about adventurizing a moto here, including moving weight up front and novel use of the frame for oil. http://www.expeditionportal.com/veh...want-a-lightweight-adventure-travel-bike.html

Have you considered carrying different front sprockets on the trip? They're much easier to change than the rear one and the common conversion is "one tooth in front = three in rear". So, for only $37 per, you can carry a 13, 14, 15 tooth front and have a rather large range of gearing available for different parts of the trip where required. Change out for the front sprocket takes all of 10 minutes at most and can easily be done on the trail.

:lol: the percentage of clueless clowns on liter class sportbikes is pretty high, I'm going to take a guess here and assume he wasn't wearing much gear either?
  16. shotgun Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SMR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 XR650L

You can enter the Baja 250, 500, and 1000 as an amateur racer or amateur team. There's also the Parker 425, Mint 400, SilverState 300, Vegas to Reno, etc.

http://www.bitd.com
    http://www.score-international.com
    http://www.racemrann.com

Etc. Plenty of amateur offroad races available. I don't know much about east coast racing but the ones above are plenty awesome.
  17. Tessier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    There is also the Paris to Darce. Got a couple of guys trying to put that one together.
  18. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    Yep. And a rear, with an extra chain since it wouldn't fit. Gonna have trouble with the 50t over the Rockies.
    But some dick said how ridiculous it was.
    Now I carry just the front. Two teeth aren't gonna do much if I really need it.

But, what the hey....you carry less than me, right?

Not sure how to change sprockets. Probably can't handle it.
    I'll just smack it with my patent for redesigning the Cummins 4 cylinder block until something falls off. Call the Nascar center that tried to recruit me last year ...have them walk me through it.

(I'm gonna keep doing that until you apologize for calling me "boy". Hurry up. Not enjoying sounding like a bitch.)
    Don't have the experience yet. That's what this ride is for.
    George from Uptite runs the 1000 on this same bike without modifications.
    Are you starting to put this all together, yet? Or still trying to measure genitals?
    mnb likes this.
  19. WbCherry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TE310
    Ok!

Now that THAT'S out of the way...I'd like to address something entirely different:
    I have a theory that Husky riders have extremely low confidence in their chosen brand. This thread here is proof enough. Dozens of complaints why the bike is incapable, etc.

Bullshit.
    This is Cafe HUSKY!

So, let's remedy that.
    My bike will break..big deal. You wanna focus on that...sure. And watch your brand confidence dwindle even further.
    Then buy a KTM, etc, and watch it break too.

I bought the bike. I like it. I'm sticking with it. I focus on how it keeps going AFTER breaking. The easy maintenance of a race-PROVEN motorcycle available to the public, street legal.
    When I finish 10,000 miles, coast to coast and back...I'll have experience for Baja, Alaska, Ecuador... wherever I can. Show you it can be done.
    I need support.
    Neduro finished Dakar with the backing of Advrider. What do I have? This thread, a single pair of tires, and a handful of riders loyal to their brand.
    4600 views and the children's charity still hasn't recieved a dime. So, come on folks....what are you doing, really?
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the verbal support and well wishes. The respect so far has been nice.
    But, this could be more! Put yourselves on the map. Make ourselves heard. And do something with it.
    If you like reading...help us! Earn yourself some good karma. Become part of the trip yourself.
    Say, "Yeah, I know that guy! Crazy hunh? I actually helped him out! If it wasnt for XXxX...he'd had never made it!"

Think about it. Aren't you tired of reading about another rich BMW asshole in Italy? Another pro KTM rider in the desert?
    Maybe it's just my pipe dream. A combat vet trying to do something better with life, and spread some good vibes.

That's all. Not bringing it up again. For at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Damn I love dried mangos. Wonder if I can soak them in booze.
  20. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    put the link to the children's charity in your signature line (can we do that here or just adv?) and I will donate.
    Slowpoke likes this.