1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

83 430 Rider Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Chayzed Pilot, Sep 29, 2013.

1. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i like the plating work for something that is going to be ridden...i need to think about getting a setup at home for it
  2. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I am kind of at a standstill at the moment. So I cleaned the garage and had some of the kids outside to gather around the Christmas tree for a cold shower.

[IMG]
    Momudder, suprize and jimspac like this.
  3. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Well........I haven't posted in this build for awhile as I have been busy and have had a cold for almost a week and a half. You've heard of Shark week, well I am in Shock week along with the Dakar Rallye watching. I still have two sets of Curnutts on the bench that I have to do. I took one of the Ohlins apart and blasted it and cleaned every thing up. Going to get some rebuild kits from Drew over at WER. I have most of the orings but no piston bands. Whatever paint Husqvarna used in those day's is some godawful stuff to take off. Here's a pic of the Ohlins and a restored set of Curnutts I just got done with. Busy, busy, busy.

[IMG]
    454x likes this.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    one of my ohlins needs to be in that state!. its still stuck half way and lost in Mr Mc Hanics shed!:(

anyone figured out why they jam yet??? this is jammed #2
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Very nice work.

You have a 81ish YZ125 with triple mounted rad :eek:
  6. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    "I cut off the rear hoop and engine guards on the frame"
    I am looking for a rear hoop and engine guards, Pilot.
    If you dont use those parts and still in your hand, please le me know if you are willing to sell them.
    Thanks
  7. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I would bet the rod is bent. I had one that was bent and I straightened it out to within 2 thousandths of an inch and it works fine. It doesn't take much of a bend to lock them up.
  8. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    It's an 82 first year of the linkage. I got it from the original owner with super low miles. I acquired a bunch of aftermarket billet parts, Sun rims with HD spokes and stuffed them on it. The rear suspension sucks and I am very close to converting it to twin shock with a set of Ohlins. I play around with it in the desert every once in awhile.
  9. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I'm real sure I still have them. But..........they aren't for sale. I will GIVE them to you if you pay the shipping. PM me.
    454x, Michel Dufayard and Motosportz like this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

yeah those were funky bikes. The X-link or whatever they called it did suck. Was as bad as the backbone shock it replaced. Dual shocks huh? Interesting. I recall people have all sorts of issues with the rad (to small) and hose routing (thought the stem) as well. Odd time for YZ's. I had a 81 YZ465 was a great bike for the time. Then rode a buddies YZ490 and it was a pinging hard to start POS. wierd.
  11. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Mr Pilot, no apologies for thread deviation. you are a victim of your own success and a shock expert. I've just bought this 1980 420 KTM for my next vintage supermoto project. Info seems limited, could you tell me anything about the shocks? PM me if you don't want to deviate but I'm guessing the readers of this might be interested even if the bike is the 'wrong colour'
    ktm1.jpg
  12. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Well Wildebeest..........I am not a shock expert. I do know how to do a couple of makes. With that said, from what I can tell from your picture is that those are not the stock shocks that came on that bike. They should be rods down with a reservoir connected to the body. I don't know what those are. I don't remember exactly but they would have been Marzochhi or Corte Cosse......I think.:excuseme:
  13. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, best thing to do I reckon is when I pick the bike up next week, is un-bolt them and post them off to you...:cheers: I just joking (kind of!?). I'm still enjoying this build no end. I have YZ envy now just to compound my misery :banghead:
  14. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    Those are Bilstein. KTM used that brand for a long period, after Marzocchi. They work with gas and oil, even they dont have a reservoir. Bilstein built both kind of, with and without reservoir. They can be rebuilt and they worked very well. Marzocchi were more famous and "fancy" and they were used mostly on Enduro KTm in Europe.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I like the trailing axle forks on the KTM :D
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    quick handling! way ahead of its time!!
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Re the "bent Ohlins" it was checked and found to be perfect but once discovered and pulled apart again, I will give it a fine tooth combing as its hard to ride them chopper style, they don't turn at all....

I am planning a desert ride so will pull both spacers out to give me "XC" legs..Woo Hoo
  18. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    The only other thing I could think of is the rod could be getting stuck in the bottoming sleeve?
  19. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349

I wonder how it handles reducing the trail that much. I would imagine a little twitchy at any speed
  20. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Maybe the po just rotated them around.