1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

79 or 390 resurection

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by patgas, Apr 3, 2010.

1. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

engine lookin good

hi guys made small amount of progress,removed bearings/seals from cases and bead blasted all parts and painted,cleaned and replaced bearings and put in all new seals,and some graphics.decicded to bead blast head at 40 psi gives near polished look then paint with some vht paint and baked in oven on full for 1hr or so(she was happy) now just awaiting some transmission gears from america to arrive then can go ahead with re assembly,this is my first complete engine rebuild so any tips appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking really good. Did you do the blasting yourself?
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Patgas,
    Doesn't look to me as though you need any tips. Looks as though you have everything well in hand. Nice work. Keep posting up what you doing - I'm watching.
    Rick
  4. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

yep

yes blasted everything myself,brought a compressor and blast cabinet best thing i ever brought,rebuilt a cr 500 few years back and paid to hav parts blasted and bottom end rebuilt,and thought this time i want to do it myself as its not rocket science if your pretty hands on.
  5. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

operation engine

as you can see my shed is like a operating theater,
    main shaft and lay shaft inspected and put back in,3rd gear replaced and 5-6th you can see in pics the wear on dogs just about,noticed somethig strange that there was a shim/washer missing between 3rd 5-6th gear so waiting for this and gaskets shift drum put back in and all other components inc shift forks,didnt remove gears from shafts just removed them complete and put cable ties over ends to keep them on splines.

Attached Files:

6. jdaatwebco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks great! Did you blast the levers? If so, how did you acheive the nice shiney finish?
  7. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

no not levers

no didnt blast levers but can get good shiny finish with glass beads and drop pressure to about 40-50 psi,or pads that we use in work for cleaning copper pipes,you can get these on a arbor to put on drill and that gives nice finish.
  8. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

time for re assembly

well guys rest of my gaskets arrived today and the replacement shim for gearbox that was missing just a few pics of assembly.allso fitted some boysen reeds along the way.

Attached Files:

• en7.jpg
      en7.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    • en6.jpg
      en6.jpg
      File size:
      89.1 KB
      Views:
    • en5.jpg
      en5.jpg
      File size:
      94.5 KB
      Views:
    • en4.jpg
      en4.jpg
      File size:
      95.4 KB
      Views:
  9. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

more progress

bead blasted carb and fitted new vent hoses and assembly is complete,just awaiting kick start and engine is ready to go back in frame .

Attached Files:

• en1.jpg
      en1.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
    • en2.jpg
      en2.jpg
      File size:
      92 KB
      Views:
    • en3.jpg
      en3.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cracking job mate.

Did you split the cases yourself? If so, did you use the correct tool for this job?
  11. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

yep

yes i did split cases,really is very straight forward my friend welded up a puller using a puller from one of those £10 three jaw sets bit of tube and square of plate,and i brought a flywheel puller,worked a treat.looks a bit primative but works fine,should work with most engines will just hav to drill holes acording to crank cases.
  12. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

Bit more progress

as im waiting for parts,decided to tackle airbox,removed filter to find a coat hanger type item being used as filter cage mmm.so removed filter bracket and rubber carb thingy,bead plasted parts and re painted and re siliconed rubber boot back in and ready for re assembly.

Attached Files:

13. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

looking good

well guys after getting bit side tracked with camper project i decided to get back on with her,nickel plated parts arrived re fitted those and re mounted airbox,fitted refurbed ohlins and now at long last removed her from bench so i can dry fit exhaust to check clearance of front mudguard,first time out of shed so managed to get a look at bigger picture and im very happy so far.

Attached Files:

14. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

Looking like a bike

managed to skive of work today and got all plastics fitted and lined up and even deacals on front number board really shaping up now.

Attached Files:

15. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

airbox cover

well after searching for a new cover decided i was going to have to re use old one,forgot to take pick of start so here is one half way through,cover had some deep scratches so sanded them out starting with i think 150 and going all way up to 1500 this a very time consuming task i did this on a cr 500 tank once and took hours,this pic is after severall hours of sanding,after this i polish with plastic scratch repair kit not quit finished yet but will post pic when complete.

Attached Files:

16. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Looks mint! Where did you get the nickel plating done?
  17. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

hi

it was a company called collins chemical blacking in surrey did good job but not cheap.
  18. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Thanks mate - I may have a need for a service like theirs at some point. :thumbsup:
  19. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Love the black'd out and "raw" shock bodies. Verrrry cool.
  20. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

finished air box and fitted shocks

i managed to finish air box cover not 100% happy with out come but better than before will leave it for now maybe i will come across a nos item or hav another go at it at some time,allso managed to fit some rubber washers to top heim bearings on shocks,after searching for sometime used rubber gromets from metal elecktrical boxes cut in half, fit on the stepped washers a treat and close gap up and look spot on allso used plasic 3/4 black p clips used for elecktrical cables to mount airbox cover fit a treat.

Attached Files: